After getting braces for 3 weeks, my teeth turned to grey

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

yy2bsleep

After getting braces for 3 weeks, my teeth turned to grey

#1 Post by yy2bsleep »

Hi friends, do you have this experience? i am very upset now. I want to cry. After getting braces for 3 weeks, i found that my teeth turned to grey colour a little bit. I am worrying about it. Anything idea? anything wrong?

drrick

#2 Post by drrick »

I doubt the teeth themselves turned gray. Probably staining of the o-rings if clear ones used) or plaque around the brackets requiring more brushing.
Developer of:
The Powerprox Six Month Braces(R) Technique
http://sixmonthbraces.com/

Powerprox Six Month Braces(R)on ABC News

Bellalalala

#3 Post by Bellalalala »

Invest in a good quality electric toothbrush, and rub the grey spots with the tip of a toothpick to clear it up.

It's no big deal.

switchblades

#4 Post by switchblades »

One of my molars did that, I got the molar bands off the other day (braces come off this week :D ). It could be staining, or it could be an issue of nerve death. Talk to your ortho ASAP!

Audra

#5 Post by Audra »

It could just be that your teeth look dingier because of the braces. I find that myself. I like to brush with baking soda once in a while to remove stains and make my teeth look whiter.

yy2bsleep

#6 Post by yy2bsleep »

Hi everyone,

I think i have found the reason of my tooth discoloration. I have antibiotics called Augmentin on 26Sept for my flu. Meanwhile, i noticed my teeth turned gray about 1 week ago. That should be around 5-Oct.

From a US medication journal, i found some similar reporting of tooth discoloration by Augmentin. I am surprised, worrying and angry about this. My anger is the doctor didn't warning me. This discoloration associated with this drug is caused by formation of deposits on the tooth surface but does not impair the internal dental structure. From the case quoted from the journal, 3 patients listed below, no treatment was provided...but Discoloration persisted for several months !!
But i am not sure my grayness will disappear or not. They said brushing can help. But i am still worry about this :(