Dental Wax - How on Earth Can I Get It to Stay??

Love your electric toothbrush? Hate that yucky mouthwash? Can't live without that terrific threader floss? Got a fave canker sore remedy? Here's where you can post your opinions and reviews of specific products relating to dental hygiene and your braces. Tell others what works....and what doesn't!

Moderator: bbsadmin

CelineCeline

Dental Wax - How on Earth Can I Get It to Stay??

#1 Post by CelineCeline »

Hi everyone,
It's day 11 in my braces and I think I am starting to get used to them. It doesn't mean I like them though...
I've already experienced the nasty pokey wires and have had no success with the wax as it keeps falling off! Any tips would be great - thank you!

bbsadmin

#2 Post by bbsadmin »

Are you using regular dental wax or dental silicone? The silicone is a bit trickier, because the brackets need to be totally dry in order for the silicone to stick.

Wax should stick to anything rather easily. If you are using regular dental wax, try smooshing it between your fingers to warm it and make it more malliable before applying it to your brackets.

If you have poking wires at the very back of your mouth (poking straight into your cheek), you won't get wax or silicone to stick to it. In this case, go to your orthodontist to get the poking wire clipped ASAP. Most orthodontists don't require an appointment for this. Just call and let them know you'll be stopping in to get a poking wire clipped.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

classII

#3 Post by classII »

Actually try the opposite. :wink:

At room temp and when you attempt to roll it around into a ball between your fingers, it heats up further and becomes super sticky, and when you try to apply it, it stays stuck to your fingers.

Instead, simply run it under cold water, it firms up, then roll it around and then apply it. Presto. It's completely formable where you can press it in and against whatever, even sculpting it if need be, and stays in place almost forever.

CelineCeline

#4 Post by CelineCeline »

Thank you for the tip! I'm using the silicone one which won't stick, which is because the brackets are still wet, it's hard to get them completely dry. I will try runnning it under cold water. Thanks!

bbsadmin

#5 Post by bbsadmin »

The silicone can be a little tricky to get the hang of. I have never tried the cold water trick. But drying the brackets really well with a tissue usually helps a lot.

Some people absolutely love the silicone and some people have a hard time with it.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

Takako

#6 Post by Takako »

Yeah, I personally use boring old wax. But it works great for me, and I don't have to use it very often. I'd bought some flavored wax beads, but they were almost crumbly, and didn't stick as well.