Can retainers re-align teeth?

If you have finished with your orthodontic treatment and are wearing retainers (or will be soon), this is a special place to connect with others in your (enviable) situation. Ask a question or make a comment about life post-braces.

Moderator: bbsadmin

aborunda

Can retainers re-align teeth?

#1 Post by aborunda »

As the title says, my question is can retainers re-align teeth. I have had my braces off for over a year now, and I wore my retainers for about 9-10 months, then I went to go see my orthodontist and when I got home forgot to take my retainers out of my car. Since then they've dissapeared. I never paid too much attention to it, but just last week I noticed one of my bottom teeth start to shift, it's not hugely noticeable, but it's bothering me and I don't want to go back to braces. I will be going to a new orthodontist to try to get new retainers, but I wanted to do some research first.

First off, again CAN my retainers re-align my teeth.

Second, has anyone dealt with these guys before? I'm interested, but I can't find any contact info, and I would like to talk to them before I shell out the cash for retainers. http://www.neonbrite.com/retainers.html

I'll post pics for you guys tomorrow, if needed.

Also, this is my first time posting here, sorry if this topic has already been discussed before.

Please help!
-Andy

switchblades

#2 Post by switchblades »

Yes, retainers can be used to realign slight issues in teeth, but I think mostly Hawley retainers are used for that. Essix ones cannot be tightened, and therefore would just make your teeth stay in the shape they were when impressions were made for the retainers. Hawley's are more expensive, but if you're trying to get a little bit of movement, it's probably not going to happen with Essix retainers (according to my dentist about 5 years ago, anyway).

I don't think I'd trust myself to do my own impressions, as far as the neonbrite thing goes! It's so easy to twist or stretch the putty, and the you've got expensive retainers you can't use! Better to pay the extra and get them done professional...I think my Essix retainers, including lab fees, are going to be about $240 for both, which isn't bad considering the $4500 for my braces out of my pocket and ~$25 000 for surgery!

Hope it helps!
Initial Consult: August 22nd, 2008
Upper Arch Bracketed: October 22nd, 2008
Lower Arch Bracketed: December 3rd, 2008
Debraced: October 15th, 2009

My Story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... sc&start=0

mybabycarter

Re: Can retainers re-align teeth?

#3 Post by mybabycarter »

aborunda wrote:As the title says, my question is can retainers re-align teeth. I have had my braces off for over a year now, and I wore my retainers for about 9-10 months, then I went to go see my orthodontist and when I got home forgot to take my retainers out of my car. Since then they've dissapeared. I never paid too much attention to it, but just last week I noticed one of my bottom teeth start to shift, it's not hugely noticeable, but it's bothering me and I don't want to go back to braces. I will be going to a new orthodontist to try to get new retainers, but I wanted to do some research first.

First off, again CAN my retainers re-align my teeth.

Second, has anyone dealt with these guys before? I'm interested, but I can't find any contact info, and I would like to talk to them before I shell out the cash for retainers. http://www.neonbrite.com/retainers.html

I'll post pics for you guys tomorrow, if needed.

Also, this is my first time posting here, sorry if this topic has already been discussed before.

Please help!
-Andy
So did you end up going with them? I'm thinking of using them also, but would like to see some reviews first!

bbsadmin

#4 Post by bbsadmin »

OK guys, listen...this neonbright company....are they really a dental lab, or just a company making whitening trays? Their site is very "low rent" and screams of somebody trying to make a fast buck.

Their website looks like a gimmick to me.

Notice that there is no contact information on their website. The whois on the site comes back generic.

Please do your research before plopping down your money on something like this!!!
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

Miss Smiley

#5 Post by Miss Smiley »

Okay the website declares that it does not move teeth, the retainer merely retains the current position of teeth.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

kirjax

#6 Post by kirjax »

Actually Essix retainers are more expensive bc I asked my ortho. Reason being is bc they're clear and considered more "cosmetic" then Hawley's.

That being said retainers CAN fix very minor tooth misalignment. I have had my Hawleys now for almost a month. I'm in 24/7 wear for now but I did leave mine out to go out one night for about 3 hours or so. In that short time my one tooth moved slighlty and I do mean slightly it's just that I notice ever small thing about my teeth. Anyways, I popped in the retainer and by morning the tooth was back to it's spot! But Iwould say if the tooth is completely out of line then no. OF course I'm not expert either.

Sentenced: 20-24 months
Braced May 11, 2007
Debraced Feb. 23, 2009
21 months in braces, 17 months in elastic, NO regrets!! Now in Hawley retainers!!

newsboysgrl777

#7 Post by newsboysgrl777 »

aborunda wrote:As the title says, my question is can retainers re-align teeth. I have had my braces off for over a year now, and I wore my retainers for about 9-10 months, then I went to go see my orthodontist and when I got home forgot to take my retainers out of my car. Since then they've dissapeared. I never paid too much attention to it, but just last week I noticed one of my bottom teeth start to shift, it's not hugely noticeable, but it's bothering me and I don't want to go back to braces. I will be going to a new orthodontist to try to get new retainers, but I wanted to do some research first.

Please help!
-Andy
Hey Andy? Why not go back to your original ortho, 'confess your sins' and see if they can send out to have your retainers re-made or whatever? You DID use their services the first time and so they're not only familiar with your case, but they can help you the best. Additionally, your coming to them for your retainers results in more revenue for them? (I would think they make some kind of profit from it, but I could be wrong) Anyway, try that route first..and even if you can't use them b/c you're not in the area anymore or whatever, I'd call them and ask for their advice/recommendations for an ortho in your area.

Please update us on how it went?? I see this was originally posted 3 months ago...

wrtau23

#8 Post by wrtau23 »

Anyone try neonbrite?

alimommy1

#9 Post by alimommy1 »

Hawley retainers can, they can be made with springs, screws, and other additional parts to shift teeth. I think they can also be fitted with hooks or something for elastics which would be attached using buttons or something on opposing teeth to move them.

I had a retainer with springs after my initial treatment because my teeth showed a tendency to move, even while wearing retainers. I have a new ortho and a new retainer because not only did I move, I lost the retainer. It wasn't entirely a loss though because my new ortho said the old retainer wouldn't have done any good if I found it, either it wouldn't have fit at ALL or maybe it would have but it wouldn't fix the relapse. It's very minor shifting that I'm looking at, but once it's fixed I will be much happier.

I did all sorts of research and there are also spring, super spring, etc appliances that probably do minor movements and after you're done, it becomes your permanent retainer. Probably slightly more bulky than a basic hawley - and I also looked into inman aligners.

eliza

#10 Post by eliza »

This company is a terrible company. Don't not ever put your hard earn money towards any of his supplies. Robert Owen is rude and lacks business ethics. He has no customer service skills; he refuses to answer any calls or reply to any emails after receiving your money. And when he does he is very rude and is reluctant to answer any of your questions or concerns. I ordered retainers from him and I still haven't received them and it's been a month. Robert told me it should take 2weeks. I called him for a week straight with no response. When he finally answered he said stop blowing up my phone your stuff isn't ready yet that's why I didn't answer, then he hung up on me. I have the right to be concern about my order if it's two weeks late and your not answering my phone cals when I do call. Neonbrite is horrible enough to be considered a scam! Do yourself a favor, STAY AWAY!!!! :ThumbsDown: :ThumbsDown: :ThumbsDown: :x :x :x :evil: :evil: :evil:

smartygirl

#11 Post by smartygirl »

just popping in to say i sure *hope* they can realign teeth, as that is what my ortho is trying to do!

i was basically done treatment and he just wanted to do one last tweak with elastics, which unfortunately inspired one of my incisors to shift a bit - not hugely, but noticeable since it's one of the social 4. he toyed with the idea of bracing my uppers, but decided he could get it back into place with an essix since it's not major and is already mobile. i think what he did was, after they did the impression, they made a cast of my teeth, then moved things around on that, and then made the essix from the adjusted casting. if that makes sense.

anyway i've been wearing it for maybe 15 hours so far and if this sinus headache is any indication, my teeth are definitely moving.
the comeback kid: my blog about braces, asthma, and a broken foot.

smartygirl

#12 Post by smartygirl »

just a little update - i've had the retainers two weeks now, and they do seem to be working for getting that last tooth aligned.

smartygirl

#13 Post by smartygirl »

another little update: it worked! i no longer have to wear my upper retainer all day, i can go to just nights because my tooth is back where it belongs! yay. so, yes, retainers can re-align teeth, if they're not too set in their ways.

before:

after:

sorry for the crap blurriness of the photos...

Loran

#14 Post by Loran »

Retainers can re-align teeth to a point. Beyond that only more orthodontic treatment will move them. This is why it is so important to always use your retainers. I use chrome cobalt retainers that should last forever, but if I go away and forget them, then come back and find my teeth have moved a bit I use my old plastic retainer to re-align. Has worked for me.