May Braces Poll

An archive of braces poll questions asked in previous years. This forum is read-only.

Moderator: bbsadmin

How does having braces affect your ability to get dates?

Poll ended at Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:58 pm

It's harder to get dates with braces.
9%
Dating is about the same as it was before.
23%
It's easier to get dates with braces.
2%
I'm not dating right now.
65%

Total votes: 81

MrzBLH

#16 Post by MrzBLH »

Hello everyone. I'm new to the group and new to braces and look forward to a good supportive envirnoment..

With that said.. ya' know.. I'm a lil more confident now. I've had my braces on for almost 3 weeks. I'm married and my husband for the most part has been support (LOL besides the little teasing every now and then) But I am loving my braces if anything I'm opening my mouth now more than ever....

Sweet L

#17 Post by Sweet L »

I have a boyfriend since a looong time ago... so I guess I don't count for the poll! :lol:

But I have to addmit that for meeting new people or singing in public (remember that I sing with the University Chorus?) I feel a lot more confident...
I guess that I feel that I look a lot better as a "work in progress" that I did before when my teeth were really uggly...
Now I cant stop smiling wide

YRhino

#18 Post by YRhino »

I couldn't get a date before the braces and I can't get a date now so I guess it hasn't made any difference. Ha ha ha! I do get a lot of compliments from men telling me that my braces are sexy. :lol:

bbandef

Poll - Braces and Dating

#19 Post by bbandef »

I am not married nor am I in a committed relationship. I guess I'm in the minority based on the comments here as I don't like the impact the braces have had on my appearance and attractiveness to men. I already had a thin face and now my face is even thinner - especially around my mouth.

And like purpleteeth's post, I don't like eating in public. So that's a drag. I know I should just get over it, but its been a bit of a struggle. And today my ortho told me next month I get power chains. Oh boy! That'll make me all the more appealing to the opposite sex. :HugeGrin:

I'm 6 months in with another 12 to go.

MrsP

#20 Post by MrsP »

I'm married...so the part about 'getting a date' isn't an issue with me. My braces were put on last month...and my husband is supportive. He DOES tease me from time to time...but he's so cute with it and I know he doesn't do it out of spite. I think the biggest concern I had was dealing with the intimacy in our relationship as opposed to what other people would think. I still smile just as big as I did BEFORE the braces. :lol:
I have fun with my braces. Brightly colored ligs and I get a new color with each visit. I currently have on Red, White, and Blue ones... :lol:
I have the mindset that I braces don't make me WHO I am...they just enhance my smile!

wisebonzai

#21 Post by wisebonzai »

Happily married, and in love, but today he looked at me with that forelorned look of wanting, and (use your imagination why) said he can't wait till they're gone, lol.

wisebonzai

#22 Post by wisebonzai »

Sorry to disagree, but they shred the insides of my lips to pieces. Can't .

wisebonzai

#23 Post by wisebonzai »

9 months, and yes. They irritate the skin still so bad that I have to wear the wax in front on the two bottom center teeth, because they've pushed the teeth forward and my mouth isnt used to it, still.

thewiredlife

#24 Post by thewiredlife »

yeah, i've noticed a change in the way people of the opposite sex respond to me with the braces- the ones checking me out get younger and younger! i'm 23, but i look about 17 anyway, and the braces don't help at all :?

wisebonzai

#25 Post by wisebonzai »

Mary, thanks...I'm a peroxide user. I rinse with it when done brushing by habit. My lips are full, the teeth are tiny and so is my mouth, and what happened was when they moved them forward, the braces hit the lower lip and well, it's self explanatory ouch lol. But thanks for the kind suggestions. :)

ShineUpMyBoots

#26 Post by ShineUpMyBoots »

YRhino wrote:I couldn't get a date before the braces and I can't get a date now so I guess it hasn't made any difference.
Hahaha, ditto!

Sentence: 16 to 18 months

wisebonzai

#27 Post by wisebonzai »

Fortunately it's sold over the counter and I can replace it once I run out.

Did you get a look at my braces journey? It's kind of haphazerdously arranged...I have the four month or five update before I show originals, and soon I will get the original photos from the doc and will post those, so you can see how bad they were truly before I did this...they don't look too bad with braces on but were a mess before I got them.

The major thing I see different now is, I don't lisp! YAY the lisp is gone. Plus, straight teeth aren't too shabby. :)

wisebonzai

#28 Post by wisebonzai »

I saw your braces journey story and all I can say is ouch. Can you tell me about recovery time from that surgery? I have little/no jaw. I've always wanted to move it forward, but back when they originally wanted to do it, all they had was this horrid surgery where they take leg bone and move it to the jaw, so you had 3 broken areas, or 4.

Renee

artroxu

#29 Post by artroxu »

My husband thinks my braces make me look cute.

PlasticRobot

Braces vs. Dating

#30 Post by PlasticRobot »

I can't really say that having braces has had any effect on my dating or social life in general, because I had to get braces as part of major reconstruction, due to injuries. So I wouldn't even consider dating, as it's all I can do to leave my room most days.
"They say that time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself."
~ Andy Warhol