Anyone else getting braces for perio problems?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

catfish

Anyone else getting braces for perio problems?

#1 Post by catfish »

Hi there, I'm a "lurker" who has decided to join the conversation. :computer:

I was braced in August 2007 at age 47, in it for a two-year stint. I have Damons, top and bottom. I'm getting braces in an effort to help with periodontal problems. My dental team (dentist, periodontist and orthodontist) all agreed that braces will help. I have crowding on the bottom. The plan is to remove one lower front tooth, in hopes of improving circulation and stopping or slowing down the perio problems.

Is anyone else in a similar boat?

catfish

#2 Post by catfish »

Hi Ken,

I'm sorry you're dealing with perio problems, but I'm glad to hear that I'm not alone! I hope QKate sees this post and chimes in.

I had to have osseous surgery, but no IPR. I did lose a large molar during the surgery, so that was a bummer. My periodontist wants to put in an implant, but I'm not comfortable with that given my degree of bone loss. Apparently my case is a bit weird. I have a long history of good dental hygiene, so they think I have a genetic tendency for perio. Since the cause of my problems can't be addressed, I'm afraid that an implant isn't a good idea for me. The bigger bummer is that my lower front teeth have 50% bone loss, and were loose before I got braces. My dentist tells me it's not a question of if, but of when, I will lose them. Again, they want to put in implants and I'm not seeing that as a good plan for a person whose jawbone is mysteriously dissolving...

But my braces journey has been a good one so far. I really like my ortho, and he has endless patience with my questions. My lower front teeth moved really fast, but I wasn't too surprised since they aren't anchored all that well. I've had minimal discomfort with the braces. They flare up when I have to talk a lot (which happened at a recent conference where I was catching up with old acquaintances), but that simmers down after a few days.

I am unable to bite into anything though, no matter how soft, because of my loose lower front teeth. That poses a bit of a problem when I go out to eat with people. Deli's are a nightmare, and I'm getting really tired of soup! I can't eat artichokes anymore, either. :cry:

adultbraces

#3 Post by adultbraces »

My orthodontist told me that braces can help my perodontist problem too. But I have no idea how serious mine is b/c my dentist is refusing to measure the pocket. She belive the apperance of my gum is due to slanted and long teeth.
Does perio make your teeht bleed? My teeth does not bleed anymore, can I belive that they're gone?

catfish

#4 Post by catfish »

adultbraces wrote:Does perio make your teeht bleed? My teeth does not bleed anymore, can I belive that they're gone?
NO! That is the trap that led me to advanced perio disease without treatment!

I have a long history of deep pocket readings with no bleeding. My (former) dentist thought it was odd, but kept telling me that I was fine since my home care was so good and there was no bleeding. He was SO WRONG! I now have advanced perio and am facing the prospect of losing teeth.

I strongly suggest that you get a second opinion that includes pocket readings. I would also suggest that you go to a periodontist if you can, since some dentists don't recognize these problems like you might think.

Keep us posted on your findings!

Luella

#5 Post by Luella »

catfish wrote: Since the cause of my problems can't be addressed, I'm afraid that an implant isn't a good idea for me. The bigger bummer is that my lower front teeth have 50% bone loss, and were loose before I got braces. My dentist tells me it's not a question of if, but of when, I will lose them. Again, they want to put in implants and I'm not seeing that as a good plan for a person whose jawbone is mysteriously dissolving...
Implants actually help preserve bone- did they not tell you that? The primary dental benefit of implants is the preservation of bone. You see, jaw bone is kinda weird in that if it's not doing something, ie holding teeth, it deteriorates. You know how old people that are in dentures have a "sunken in" face- that's because the jaw bone has dissolved so far that the muscles and tissues of the face have no support, and they just hang/fall into and around the mouth. A couple of implants in each arch could have prevented that from happening. I see patients all the time with bad perio disease that need extractions, get implants, and do beautifully with them! Some periodontists do implants themselves- and they should give you your money back if for some reason they try to use implants and they don't work. Don't talk yourself out of the implant possibility- they're an AMAZING option for replacing teeth lost for any reason!!!
~ Luella ~
Oral surgery assistant, Registered Dental Assistant, OMAAP Certified

catfish

#6 Post by catfish »

Thank you everyone for your replies! I've been feeling rather alone with my situation, and more than a bit scared at times, so it's great to know there are others who are going through the same experience!

lkw130 - I can TOTALLY relate to the heart palpitations over wiggly teeth! I couldn't believe how scared I was when my lower incisors started to wiggle! I couldn't even sleep because of bad dreams about it! Mine did it before I got perio or ortho treatment (while I was seeing the oblivious dentist). My new dental team jumped right on it, and I got a temporary splint to hold them still. Then I got braces, and the splint was breached (not removed, oddly enough - just cut through so the teeth were independent again).

Luella - No one told me that implants preserve bone, but all three (dentist, perio and ortho) told me that they recommend them and they typically have very good success with them, even with perio patients. I was skeptical though, because my case is so severe and because the cause seems so mysterious. I'm so glad you weighed in! It helps to hear this feedback from an impartial person. I actually feel a lot better about the idea now. Thank you!

Luella

#7 Post by Luella »

Catfish- I would so go for the implants! At your young age you can expect at least 50 years of service out of the implants, and while they are expensive, they do last forever. When you're 80, if (heaven forbid!) you lose all your teeth, they can use the implants to hold dentures! You have 50 years of life left in you, implants are forever, teeth sometimes aren't! I have patients in their 70s and 80s who get implants!!! Let me know what you decide!!!
~ Luella ~
Oral surgery assistant, Registered Dental Assistant, OMAAP Certified

catfish

#8 Post by catfish »

My lower teeth would move if I touched them with my upper teeth, even very lightly. So I tried to get in the habit of keeping my teeth apart all the time. At night, I would sometimes close them too much, and that would jolt me awake. My perio put a temporary splint on my lower incisors, and that helped for a while. Then one day, they started feeling "funny", and the next thing I knew all four of them were moving in unison! THAT was a freak-out moment!! So he splinted them to my canines.

Now that I have braces and no splint, I can feel them move if I press on them with my lip. They also move when I floss, so I don't floss them every day like my other teeth. (I can only take so much...) I can even feel them move if I get them too close to the fork when I take a bite of food. I have to make sure I use my upper teeth only when I'm taking a bite.

This bites!!!!! :roll:
Click on WWW to see my braces story.

August 16, 2007 - Braced on top
January 3, 2008 - Braced on bottom

catfish

#9 Post by catfish »

I guess it's all a matter of perspective. If I start feeling bummed about my wiggly teeth, I just think of the other people on this site who have had scary-sounding surgeries and procedures that I have not had to endure. Then I feel lucky!

Thank you to all who have replied to my post. This has been very helpful! Especially the comments about implants. I'm a couple of years away from getting them, but I feel better about them already.

AW rocks!! :rawk:

John37

#10 Post by John37 »

I friend of mine got Invisalign to straighten his teeth for perio problems. His upper second incisors were slightly behind his front teeth and he required some sort of gum surgery to fix his gums in that area. His insurance would pay for the gum surgery but not braces/Invisalign, and he would have needed the gum surgery again in a few years. The better fix was to have his teeth permanently straightened, so he paid out of his own pocket for Invisalign.

I didn't get Invisalign for perio problems, but I had a bunch of deep pockets (5-6 mm) last year. My gums are improving with cleanings every 10 weeks and flossing every time before I put the aligners back in. I'm hoping having straighter teeth helps with the gums problems.

catfish

#11 Post by catfish »

I just realized the board is back up - yay!!!! So I thought I'd add my most recent perio news to this thread. I went to the perio to see about getting started on the implant, and he tells me that I have too much bone loss so I need a bone graft. I understand that's not too unusual. But apparently I have a LOT of bone loss, so I need a different procedure than most people. Part of this procedure involves taking bone marrow from my pelvic bone and using it in the graft. As my best friend said, "EWWWWWW!!!" I've never heard of this before. The perio said he does it as part of the bone graft procedure, so I don't have to go somewhere else to have the marrow harvested. He does it with a needle, so there's no incision.

Has anyone had this done, or know anything about it? It's giving me a major case of the heebie jeebies!!!