27 and Braced, Pictures Too!! Finally got a link up for pics

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

criolla80

27 and Braced, Pictures Too!! Finally got a link up for pics

#1 Post by criolla80 »

I am a 27 year old female who has always been self concious about her teeth. For years, I have wanted braces but my parents didn't see the need. I think they couldn't afford them at the time. My sister, however, had them and continued each time to pluck them off because she didn't want them anymore. Maybe my parents were afraid I would do the same.

For years, no one really noticed how crooked my teeth were unless I smiled wide. I had developed a smile that camoflauged the crooked teeth. I work in sales and have been highly successful. However, I am always thinking about my teeth and what people see.

So, I decided to go for it. I went and got braces (Speed Braces). It's the second day and I am feeling a lot of pressure. However, I am excited to know my teeth will be straight some day. I was concerned about how my boyfriend would react to them..then I thought, "Screw him, this is about me." I am no longer going to worry about what people think because I am the one who has to be happy with the way I look and this is the only way to acheive that happiness.

I didn't think about doing a BEFORE picture and after seeing all of the great posts, I wish I had. I will take pictures throughout the course of my treatment.

Described though, my teeth are severely crowded. My front teeth are rotated due to the crowded and I have a crossbite. Since my wisdom teeth were taken out, the dentist is going to pull my teeth back and fix the bite, crowding and rotation. My treat to myself for enduring this is to get my teeth whitened the day I have the metal removed (probably 1 year from now).
Last edited by criolla80 on Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Teabing

#2 Post by Teabing »

Congratulations Criolla! I'm 28 and can't believe I've taken so long to get them done....it feels weird doesn't it! I had my uppers on yesterday and next week, my lowers. Not looking forward to having a mouth full of brackets and wires but like you said, it has to be done!

I am also looking at about a year in braces and will also be getting them whitened when they come off, I get married in December so am crossing my fingers that they will be done by then, but if not they'll be taken off and re-fitted after the wedding.

Best of luck with your treatment - try and get some pictures up!

carolEEna

#3 Post by carolEEna »

Congrats! I'm 27 and just got braced 2 days ago so I'm still getting used to them. People have commented that they never noticed I needed braces. But I knew very well I did, so I finally did it. :)

Good luck with your treatment! Looking forward to hearing about your progress. :D
Wisdom teeth extracted: 11/09/07
Upper & lower arches braced, but only the 6 upper front teeth wired: 1/22/08
All 4 Bicuspids extracted: 1/26/08
Upper & lower fully wired: 2/6/08
Est. treatment time: 18 months
In-Ovation C brackets
De-braced: 2/11/10
Essix retainers both arches

SmileUnderConstruction

#4 Post by SmileUnderConstruction »

Congrats on getting braced! :tingrin: You should do this for yourself, you have the right feel good about yourself!! I have asked my husband if I can get the Zoom whiting as soon as they come off as a, Braces Off Present. :D
He says sure.

Take care, I will check back to see how you are doing.
My sentence is a Minimum of 24 months
I am in for a bite issue
I am a all metal girl :)

missnomer

#5 Post by missnomer »

Congrats on your decision and I'm sure you are both excited and a little apprehensive. Has the pressure diminished? How did you decide on speed braces and what is the difference between them and regular braces?

Good luck and look forward to watching progress.

criolla80

#6 Post by criolla80 »

Basically, speed braces supposedly shorten the length of time you have the metal in your mouth. Right now, they are extremely uncomfortable. I've only had them on since Tuesday and I am noticing changes. Seriously, one tooth is almost in position and my bite is slowly improving.

However, I am unable to really eat anything. I am literally wasting away. I tried eating mashed potatoes and THAT HURT!! I am supposed to go back to the dentist in 10 weeks. After which time, he told me that most of my teeth should be straight. Then, they do another adjustment which is probably equally uncomfortable. I wonder if I am going to be constipated because I am swallowing whole macaroni and other foods(okay, too much information, I know). LOL. I am trying to find nourishment. I am ready to slip a little vodka into my protein shake to help with the pain. ha ha

The main problems are my two front teeth. They have moved inward so I am curious to see how they change. I took some pictures but I can't find my USB cable. As soon as I do, I will post them.

I am going to figure out a way to eat before I end up looking like a toothpick. Surely, there's got to be a way to chew without dying of pain surges. I'll keep you posted.

criolla80

#7 Post by criolla80 »

missnomer wrote:Congrats on your decision and I'm sure you are both excited and a little apprehensive. Has the pressure diminished? How did you decide on speed braces and what is the difference between them and regular braces?

Good luck and look forward to watching progress.

You were asking what the difference was. As far as mechanics, I don't really know. My sister looked at them and since she has had braces previously, she says that there are no "ties" and the brackets are different. I am not sure what that means. Also, the pressure is so intense that my teeth are moving something like one tenth of a centimeter per day..or something like that.

I know with regular braces, my ortho said it would take 2 years. This treatment has me looking at 10 to 12 months. However, I am sure that I could end up with them longer since I see orthos can miscalculate some times. My teeth feel very fragile right now and I can't even imagine eating a sandwich at this point. This is a pressure that sort of reminds me of how my infected wisdom teeth felt before I have them removied but it is applied to every tooth in my mouth. The dentist said it was normal and to just relax as everything will be in place in 10weeks. I have my appointment set for my birthday (Mar. 14)

criolla80

New Pics!

#8 Post by criolla80 »

Hi!
I posted some pics so you can see my dental situation if you will. I can already see some movement and I am excited. Flossing is a chore but I am managing. This is week one and I am coming up with better ways to eat yummy food. I went to the buffet and snoshed on all of the soup, cottage cheese, custards, ground beef, mashed potatoes, I could cram. I've already lost 5 lbs. I am a little on the thin side so this is not GOOD. I am surprised that my teeth are still white since I have been eating a lot of cherry jello! Anyhow. Here they are. (click on links, I am not sure how to embed)

View of front.

Closer Front View:

Inside of the Bottoms:

melliemoo

#9 Post by melliemoo »

Hi, I couldn't figure out how to view your photos but if that is your photo as your avantar, you appear to be a beautiful young lady that I'm sure will have wonderfully, lovely teeth to match. I'm 48 and I wish I had been brave enought to have had braces when I was young. When you are getting old and cranky, you realize---I don't really have to care what people think!

Anyway, maybe I'll figure out how to view your photos but good luck to you!

melliemoo

#10 Post by melliemoo »

Also, try buying one of the brace cookbooks. They have many nutritionous receipes for us bracefaces--with protein, carbs, etc. I ate alot of scrambled eggs with cheese for extra protein. I even grabbed a couple of spoons of peanut butter mixed with ice cream or plain yoghurt and made a shake. Someone suggested cutting up apples and baking them with cinnamon and then topping them with ice cream or frozen yoghurt. Very good and you can do that with peaches and pears and even bananas if they are too hard for you to bite. Tuna mixed with mayo is good protein. Cottage cheese. Well cooked pasta with Ragu or cheese and a little diced chicken breast.

Don't waste away!

criolla80

Thanks!

#11 Post by criolla80 »

Thank You for the replies.
I finally figures out how to post the pictures.

This is week one.

melliemoo

#12 Post by melliemoo »

Good photos. I like the shape of your individual teeth. I think you are going to have a beautiful smile. It is exciting, isn't it!

I hope you can eat better soon. I still don't bite directly into much. I cut up my sandwiches into little squares that I can chew with my back teeth. And sometimes I order stuff and don't eat the bun. I also don't eat chips or anything too hard. It just feels like my teeth will fall out if I bite too hard.

Keep us posted.

lauren321

#13 Post by lauren321 »

I had a lot of ice cream at first... mainly because ben and jerry take my pain away :)

Kara

#14 Post by Kara »

Hi Criolla,

Congrats on getting your braces. I feel your pain girl. I had the worst time ever eating the first two weeks after getting my braces on. I got so sick of soup, yogurt and pudding... It does get better. It just feels like forever. I still cant wait to feel comfortable enough with my braces to eat a steak! But like the others have said... it seems like the trick is cutting your food up in small enough pieces so that you can chew them with your back teeth as I'm sure that anything what so ever touching your front teeth makes you cringe at the thought of it. It was even difficult to brush just because of how tender my teeth felt. Those speed braces will really move your teeth quickly! I think that we have similar braces it sounds. I have the inovation braces. I hear people compare them to the Damon braces. I really dont know the differences between the two. I dont have ties either. Not having those bands or ligs around your brackets allows your teeth to move quicker or so my ortho says. I put pics up in my story. After ten weeks... you will see a difference for sure. Just hang in there. It will get better. :)

this forum is a great place for support too. It really helps to see what others are going through and you will learn a lot from the experts on here. I sure have.

Good luck to you!

Kara