Removing Braces Early / Discontinuing Braces Treatment

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bracemyself

Removing Braces Early / Discontinuing Braces Treatment

#1 Post by bracemyself »

All,

I am a second time braces (in my early 30s now) - I had my braces on when I was a teenager, never wore retainer.

Before my current braces treatment, my Teeth were pretty OK as seen in my old pics (the 2 front upper teeth were slightly mis-aligned and I had a slight overbite).

Now I had to move due to a job and changed orthos. He said - the "only thing I can do is to make it straight" - not too pleased with that statement.

I am now strongly considering (due to financial and personal reasons) to stop treatment and had some Qs in this regard.

If I stop trmnt midway, I know relapse will occur. But what is the extent of relapse to expect? Would it be 2-3 times worse than what I was before starting treatment or would it gradually, over 10+ years, move to a TOTALLY different alignment?

Can I ask my current ortho to give me retainers so that whatever I have accomplished in the last 8-9 months stays intact?

I know all of you guys mean extremely well :) :) and would advice to not stop treatment, but, if you could, just for a moment, assume that IF I HAD TO STOP TREATMENT for whatever reason, then

a) what is to be expected in terms of relapse and
b) what can be done to prevent REAL BAD relapse? - like getting retainers for example.
3) Over what time period can we expect relapse to occur
4) And to what extent can I expect it to occur.

These are the 4 questions I need answered in general before thinking about the next step.
Thanks in advance!!!!!

Killaking

Re: Removing Braces Early / Discontinuing Braces Treatment

#2 Post by Killaking »

bracemyself wrote:All,

I am a second time braces (in my early 30s now) - I had my braces on when I was a teenager, never wore retainer.

Before my current braces treatment, my Teeth were pretty OK as seen in my old pics (the 2 front upper teeth were slightly mis-aligned and I had a slight overbite).

Now I had to move due to a job and changed orthos. He said - the "only thing I can do is to make it straight" - not too pleased with that statement.

I am now strongly considering (due to financial and personal reasons) to stop treatment and had some Qs in this regard.

If I stop trmnt midway, I know relapse will occur. But what is the extent of relapse to expect? Would it be 2-3 times worse than what I was before starting treatment or would it gradually, over 10+ years, move to a TOTALLY different alignment?

Can I ask my current ortho to give me retainers so that whatever I have accomplished in the last 8-9 months stays intact?

I know all of you guys mean extremely well :) :) and would advice to not stop treatment, but, if you could, just for a moment, assume that IF I HAD TO STOP TREATMENT for whatever reason, then

a) what is to be expected in terms of relapse and
b) what can be done to prevent REAL BAD relapse? - like getting retainers for example.
3) Over what time period can we expect relapse to occur
4) And to what extent can I expect it to occur.

These are the 4 questions I need answered in general before thinking about the next step.
Thanks in advance!!!!!
why not leave them on and wait till you have the money, thats what i would do.

ABraces2007

#3 Post by ABraces2007 »

I`m intrested in oppinions about this topic too, cause i have similar situation.
I`m stopping my treatment too because of the reasons i can`t control, only a slight overbite issue is still on my teeth, the rest have been done.
However, in my oppinion, if we get retainer, nothing is going to relapse, as there are people who get 6 months braces only because of the alignment issues, so, if our alignment issues are solved, and we get a retainer, i don`t see a reason to relapse again, however not sure.
I`m going for a serious chat with my ortho on november 5th.