Elyse's Braces Story - one year on

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Elyse84

Elyse's Braces Story - one year on

#1 Post by Elyse84 »

Hi there everyone! It's great to find this community for those of us who are going through the journey of orthodontics.... :)

I'm 22 from Sydney, Australia. I still have baby canines, which is the primary reason for getting braces, as while I have enough room in my mouth, I have a front gap due to a long and thick frenum, which takes up the space! So I'm going to get the gap closed and then extract both the baby canines and have a frenectumy. I have enough room for my wisdom teeth which are coming through which is good.

My bite is perfect on my right side, and 1mm out on the left. So they're going to do another extraction on the left side (probably the tooth next to my canine) and shift everything up.

The spacers were annoying - just a dull ache and I felt I wanted to chew a lot.

On Friday a week ago I got braces - clear on top and silver on the bottom. The first four days were the worst - I could barely eat and my mouth was so sore that I was actually getting really fed up. But now it's a week later and I feel pretty normal again! I've had to use some wax, but nothing over the top. Brushing is a new frontier!!

I have some pics that I need to upload... will do soon. :)
Last edited by Elyse84 on Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.

lionfish

#2 Post by lionfish »

G'day Elise, and welcome.

Glad you've adjusted to all the new hardware. Spacers sound horrible, so pleased I missed out on that experience.

Elyse84

#3 Post by Elyse84 »

Hi KK... thanks for the sentiments! Happy Australia Day for Friday by the way!!!

The spacers weren't that bad - the first couple of days with braces were far worse. When the ortho put the spacers in I actually instantly remembered the feeling from having braces when I was 8. I think it's one of those feelings that you don't forget.

Bring on the movement!!

Elyse84

#4 Post by Elyse84 »

The spacers didn't move my left bottom molar enough, so I just had a bracket attached to that one that does the same thing. Why they can't do that for all of them I don't know - my cheeks are taking a beating!!

*ceramic on top
*silver on bottom

Elyse84

#5 Post by Elyse84 »

Am definitely keeping up on hydration, and taking the wax off after a few days so my cheeks have time to heal, then not putting it back on until I absolutely have to. I'm hoping that I'll build up some scar tissue in the meantime which should help in the long run.

I can already tell that there has been movement, as some teeth are easier to floss than before - there are spaces opening where there weren't before on the teeth near the canines. He's obviously making room for my adults when they finally come down.

Now I just need to get my act together and post some bloody pictures!

*ceramic on top
*silver on bottom

Elyse84

#6 Post by Elyse84 »

It's one week until my first adjustment and I still haven't got around to posting some pictures. Turns out that my brother deleted the pictures I took before getting my braces on. :evil:

I can already tell that there is lots of movement happening. One of my molars on the bottom left has straightened out (it didn't look crooked to me before, but the wire wasn't straight and now it is). Also, my front gap has closed slightly, and my bottom front right tooth looks like it's pointing outwards to make room for the crooked tooth next to it.

When I go to the ortho next week I'll see if they can give me a copy of my before pictures - I want to keep track! I'll also take some pictures after my first adjustment on Monday.

*ceramic on top
*silver on bottom

Elyse84

#7 Post by Elyse84 »

Well, yesterday was my first adjustment. I was also due for a visit to the dentist for a check up and clean, so I booked it before my first adjustment to make sure everything was going well in the orgal hygiene department (which it is!).

My dentist is fabulous and a close family friend who I totally trust. Even his wife saw my orthodontist for braces in her 40s! My dentist also said that when it's time for the frenectomy and the extractions of the baby canines he will be able to do it. He is getting a new laser machine, which means he will be able to do the frenecomy with a laser! Sounds fancy to me!

Then off to the ortho. He said everything was going well, and my bottom right front tooth which is rotated needs a little more of a push, so he replaced the ligature with a tie ligature. The pressure is so much more intense! I've also had to put some wax there because the wire keeps sticking out and poking me in the lip.

I went with clear on top and silver on the bottom. Last time I went with all clear but at the 6 week mark they were quite yellow, so at least this time the bottoms won't be that bad. My tops look all nice and white again!

I also asked if I could have copies of my pre-treatment photographs, and they said they will be ready at my second adjustment in 8 weeks!

I'm at work at the moment, but when I get home this evening I'll take some photos and upload them straight away.

I'm quite tender today, mainly on my left side where my bite is out, and on the trouble front tooth. But I know that it's all going to be worth it. To think that I put off braces for so long!

*ceramic on top
*silver on bottom

Elyse84

-now with pictures!

#8 Post by Elyse84 »

So here are my pictures taken this morning...

My right side - where I have the perfect bite!

My left side - where my bite needs a lot of work.

You'll notice my canines don't have brackets - that's because they're going to be removed.

And thanks Karen for your support!

I forgot to mention that I'm not getting the adult tooth removed. Apparently I misunderstood during my initial consultation. I'm really glad that I don't have to have any perfectly fine adult teeth removed. :-)

*ceramic on top
*silver on bottom

Elyse84

#9 Post by Elyse84 »

My mum bumped into my dentist and she stopped him to say 'hi'. He told my mum that I was "meticulous" with my oral hygeine! SO HAPPY!!

Also, the day after my 1st adjustment I was feeling pretty sore, and one particular molar on the left side was really quite tender. It looked pretty raised to me when I looked in the mirror - maybe the gum is inflamed from movement? It didn't look like it had moved much to me, but I guess I have to be more patient...

Not sore at all today... back to how I was the day before my adjustment.

*ceramic on top
*silver on bottom

Patricia S.

#10 Post by Patricia S. »

Hi Elyse,

I haven't seen an update from your for quite some time. How is your bite coming along? Any movment?

Patricia :D

sifumacho
Location: i came from Malaysia,but now i'm studying in Russia =]

#11 Post by sifumacho »

Hi Elyse!
your pics are really great..i just read your stories,and suddenly i remember about mine as i read this part..
You'll notice my canines don't have brackets - that's because they're going to be removed
the difference is just my premolars are going to be extracted..

best of luck to you anyway! :D

BRACEFACE(WANNABE)WILL BE

#12 Post by BRACEFACE(WANNABE)WILL BE »

I understand on how you feel when you hhad spacers i have them to now they are not so bad but sometimes i think they are a piece of food when i eat and today i almost pulled it out.lol!

BRACEFACE(WANNABE)WILL BE

#13 Post by BRACEFACE(WANNABE)WILL BE »

I was wondering if you could keep me updated on yours b/c or teeth are about the samer besides me having a peg latural. we both have about the same size gap.if you would please keep me up to date on your teeth it will surely help me to see they truely do work for a pperson who has a gap.thank you!

Elyse84

#14 Post by Elyse84 »

Well, I haven't updated in quite a long time. I thought I would feel better progress if I kept the updates along with my adjustments.

My 2nd adjustment is tomorrow, and I have definitely noticed movement these past two months. There is a space which has formed next to my left canine, which obviously means that my front gap is getting smaller and they are making room for my adult canine. The baby canine is quite loose, and I can feel the adult canine pushing down on it.

Will post some more pictures after my second adjustment tomorrow.

I think it's a curry night tonight...

*ceramic on top
*silver on bottom

Elyse84

#15 Post by Elyse84 »

Thanks Karen!

The adjustment went well this morning. Next adjustment in 7 weeks I'm going to have an x-ray to see if my canines have moved since my original x-rays.

Will post pictures when I get back from work tonight.

*ceramic on top
*silver on bottom