braces won't help overjet and overbite?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

fromjersey

braces won't help overjet and overbite?

#1 Post by fromjersey »

I have not had anything done yet, only x-rays and photos and molds of my teeth. Orthodontist told me she can fix my mid-line shsift, but cannot fix my overjet and overbite with braces. She says surgery is necessary to fix those. Anybody have any details on this? Why can't braces fix these things? About 20 years ago an orthodontist told me braces could fix overjet and overbite. Does age make a difference? I am pretty old, insanely old for all this, and am scared silly of having upper jaw surgery. I fear dying or having my sinuses punctured and not being able to breathe. I have some obstructive sleep apnea. Has anybody else been told that braces alone will not do the job?
Helen

platinum

#2 Post by platinum »

yep.

Only a jaw surgery would fix my overjet fully. I don not want surgery so I probably will have some overjet after the treatment. Mine is at the moment 6 mm, and it has not bothered me at all. (my deepbite is the problem I am getting treatment).

Delag

#3 Post by Delag »

Those kinds of corrections can only take place (on a large scale) while the jaws are still growing. If you wanted to look at a surgical option then you are probably talking about either moving the top jaw foward (Lefort) or moving the lower jaw back (BSSO) or even a combination of the two. You can check over on the surgical board for more information. There is one member on there now who is going to have upper, lower and genio (chin) to help her with her sleep apnea.

privatepilot

#4 Post by privatepilot »

I have braces that ARE fixing my huge overbite. I was told about ten years ago I needed to have my jaw broken to fix my overbite. That freaked me out so I RAN from the orthodontist. I have one more year to go and for the first time in my life my teeth touch. Keep looking for another ortho
It's all about ME!

Braces went on 8/25/05. Div II whatever that means!!

http://www.TickerFactory.com/

Betty Bat

#5 Post by Betty Bat »

I have (or had) a minor overjet which was being improved via elastics. The ortho told me several times that things were getting better, but to fully correct it, I would need jaw surgery - and he didn't really recommend it at my age (54). Since I didn't even know I had an overjet, I'm willing to take that recommendation!

So, I guess I'm in the category of having an overjet that is being improved with elastics, but would take surgery to correct completely.

platinum

#6 Post by platinum »

privatepilot

Did they remove some teeth? My overjet could be fixed by extracting two upper premolars and pulling front teeth back. But the down side is that my front teeth would end up slanting backwards. I was told so by the ortho.
How much was your overjet?
Mine is 6 mm, I guess <5 mm can be fixed with braces.

privatepilot

#7 Post by privatepilot »

Yes they did remove 2 teeth and the next step in my process(I only have one more year to go) is to pull my front teeth back. Your front teeth do not have to tilt back. I have a screw in front of my mouth in the top gum that pulls my teeth out so this will not happen. It's called a Temporary Ancorage device or TAD or temporary implant. I am not sure of my overjet but my overbite was described as HUGE. I prefer "Big Honkin" overbite. Mention it to your ortho-it saved me from surgery and decreased my braces time. Let me know if you have more questions. I'm glad I waited 10 years after the first ortho consult to get the braces as technology improved so much. BTW the TAD's were put in under local anesthesia, never really hurt and do not show. For 3 TAD's the total cost was 250 dollars. That is the Ohio price anyway. I call them my Frankenstein screws.
It's all about ME!

Braces went on 8/25/05. Div II whatever that means!!

http://www.TickerFactory.com/

ssfw

#8 Post by ssfw »

Prior to beginning orthodontic treatment I had a 5 mm overjet and a crossbite on one side. My ortho used an expander to correct the crossbite which widened my upper arch. I did not have extractions. I am currently wearing braces and elastics to correct my bite. My overjet has reduced quite a bit, not sure how many mm. At my last appt., my ortho said my treatment is going alot better than he expected :banana: - as you can imagine, I was very happy to hear him say that.

During my initial consultation, he did give me the option of jaw surgery to completely correct my overjet but I told him that I knew I didn't want to have surgery. After reviewing my X-rays, photos and impressions, my ortho felt that with wearing braces and elastics, my overjet will be reduced to about 2 mm. I decided I would be satisfied with this result which is why I proceeded with ortho treatment. I'm thinking my overjet may end up being less than 2mm with the way things are progressing.

I went to 4 consultations and I do suggest you go to a few more evaluations.

Good luck and keep us posted.

ssfw
Quad-Helix expander: 1/20/06 - 1/16/07
Upper braces: 5/19/06; lower braces: 9/7/06

Braces removed: 8/19/08
Received retainer: 8/26/08 - wearing retainer 24 hours/day

Next appt.: 11/18/08

ema27

#9 Post by ema27 »

hi i too have been told that braces alone will not correct my overbite-the teeth will move in to position with braces but once they are off then over time my teeth will slant back in again.ill be having lower jaw surgery early next year-.im a little worried about surgery as iv never had an operation-but i would rather go through with it now and finish before im 30 then not go down the surgery route and find out 5 years later ill need braces again.Im sure everyone gets nervous and have doubts-if it helps my surgeon told me to rate the operation on the same par as childbirth-things can go wrong but not often!!! :D

acrobat

#10 Post by acrobat »

i have an overjet of 9 mm.
option 1 was to fix it with braces only. That would take about 2.5 years and i would need to wear a headgear for most of the treatment time, at least 12 hours a day.
Option 2 was to fix it with braces and surgery, no headgear.

I chose for option 2 because the result will be much more stable, and it will be fixed in a natural way, because the problem is the underdeveloped lowerjaw and not the upperteeth. My surgeon also told me that when you fix an overjet of 7-9mm by pulling the upper teeth back, the result in profile won't be pretty. And a last reason is because with my lifestyle i would never wear the headgear as it's supposed to be, so if you know that already there's no point in starting treatment.

Whirliebird

overjet

#11 Post by Whirliebird »

After talking to my orthodontist last month he told me my overjet was a WHOPPING 10mm, I had two extractions and after almost 2 years in damon braces, and no headgear, my teeth are now perfect, and my bite at the front is also perfect - no overjet at all.

Next week i am hoping to be debanded.

So i guess it is possible but only an orthodontist can tell you for sure.
Damon 3's top and bottom