Kim's 'Finally Braced' Story- NEW UPDATE 11/14 W/ PICS

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

KJNELLAMORE

Kim's 'Finally Braced' Story- NEW UPDATE 11/14 W/ PICS

#1 Post by KJNELLAMORE »

Well, I thought that considering today was my B-Day (for my lowers), I'd start a brand new 'Finally Braced' thread.

So, now.. on to my day!

Before the orthodontist, I had a dentist appointment this morning. It was a new dentist (for me) and he actually has braces from the same Ortho! His wife has lower ones also and so do several of their staff. I had one filling re-done (my fillings are all about 10 years old and need to be re-done) in resin, and the start of a cavity done in resin also. Sometime in the next 3 weeks, I will be having 2 more done on my uppers. Sometime after braces, I will need a crown in the back. I'd also like to have any other fillings re-done in resin eventually also.. for cosmetic reasons and also for the sake of my poor teeth. All of my fillings are from when I was young and no one enforced mouth care. Hence why I hold my daughter down if I have to in order to brush her teeth! For some reason, they could NOT get me numb. I never had this problem before my wisdom teeth. They had to give me 5 shots.. and then they all decided to take at once.. so my entire HEAD was numb! I was there for three entire hours.. it was awful! I was numb all the way until my ortho appt, so I couldn't even divulge in any pre-ortho treatment goodies. Wahhh! Then, I had a cleaning.. which was interesting with a numb head, to say the least.

Then, on to the ortho this afternoon....

First, I had impressions done for my RPE. Non-eventful, except she shoved these huge bands onto my top molars (after removing my two spacers) for the impressions. The right side (where I am missing a molar) didn't hurt at all, but the left was KILLING me. I couldn't wait for her to take it out.. it was BAD. Somehow, they expect to use that band as the left one to hold my RPE in, and I just can't imagine how.. I couldn't even bite down with it in, and it felt like someone was killing me. The assistant said that in 2 weeks, I will go back to have more spacers put in (on the right upper, not sure why they didn't do them all at the same time. I was told last time that I didn't need them on the right.. but.. oh well..) and then a week from then for my RPE + upper braces (she said that I will have 6 upper.. because of where my RPE bands will be. That should be interesting..).

Anyway, on to the braces. They didn't hurt at all going on, but man.. that glue is definitely vile! Yuck! It is like the most tart candy ever, in a really BAD way! I have this compulsion to swallow whenever I am having work done and couldn't NOT swallow. So, that was nasty. I chose purple.. although I was really tempted to go no-color! I asked the assistant what color made teeth look the whitest. She told me that my teeth were already very white (uhm.. she may need her vision checked.. lol)... but she said that teal was very pretty. But, I chose purple for the sake of being girly. My front two teeth hit my brackets, so that isn't fun.. not sure why, because I don't really have an overbite.

Now.. how should I put this... PAIN is GOOD, right? Because I am in a heckuva lotta pain. I mean, a LOT. I have a very high pain tolerance, but this is BAD. It is this awful combination of pressure and tension. It's just BAD. I am not even sure what to do with myself. I definitely can't eat (dinner was chocolate pudding w/ a heart of whipped cream, compliments of my hubby).

The little hooks are being awful to my lower lip. I have used a ton of wax today, but it seems to wear so quickly... is there a better kind of wax? I will definitely try warm salt water rinses. (By the way, how do all of you get wax OFF? I used a pick but that took forever!) Also, are all of the brackets with hooks eventually supposed to have elastics? Please tell me no... lol.

My ortho wants me to brush with a fluoride paste after brushing and not rise it out.. I thought that was interesting.

Anyway! Here are some comparison pictures for the start of my 'journey'..

Mouth open (rarity)

Palate (I swear that my teeth are not this shade of yellow.. lol)

Lowers

Left Upper

Right Upper (note missing tooth)

Side View

On Brace Day

Lowers

Right Lowers

Left Lowers

Edited to add a bird's eye view shot (although I just took this, today- Day 3). Not sure if I notice any difference from my previous bird's eye view shot.. but I'm not expecting any yet either! :)

Before Brace Day:

Day 4 (On my mouth's right side, you can see a filling that I had done on my last molar. I also had the next one re-done, or so I thought.. but it seems like it was 'covered' in porcelain rather than re-done like the last one. Like, it still looks silver underneath, while the last one is gorgeous. Isn't that odd?)
Last edited by KJNELLAMORE on Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:51 am, edited 40 times in total.

SDFD TSchott

#2 Post by SDFD TSchott »

Congrats looking good, looking forward to your updates!

SDFD TSchott
Code 4

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

samantha_lou

#3 Post by samantha_lou »

I'm so happy to see that you've got this started Kim, it'll be great to see your progress! Your lower braces look great, and I love the color you've chosen for your ligs! :D

Jillianleab

#4 Post by Jillianleab »

First off - Congrats on finally getting braced! Second - GREAT pics! Did you do those yourself, or did the whipped cream heart hubby help you out? Oh, and the purple ligs look really great too :)

As far as the wax goes, I've had good experiences with GUM brand wax, you can get it from places like Target, Wal Mart, etc. When I got braced, the ortho gave me three packets, two of which were great, but the third was crumbly and didn't stay on very well. As far as removing it goes, use a fingernail to start peeling it off, and it should come off pretty much all in one piece. You'll get better at it, promise!

Good luck and keep us all posted on your progress!
~jlb~

Braced 5/19/06 - Full Metal Mouth!
Went topless 07/27/07!
Totally NAKED 08/30/07!

See my braces story with lots of pics here:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 2806#92806

KJNELLAMORE

#5 Post by KJNELLAMORE »

LOL!! I did most of them, but he helped a bit with the new braced ones! I am still working on a bird's eye view braced pic, but it's very difficult!!

I have been using the ortho's sample wax, but I did buy the wal-mart GUM kind.. I will try it tomorrow!

joplin

#6 Post by joplin »

Congratulations, Kim, and welcome to Braceland!
Case: Impacted canines, crowding & crossbite.
Treatment: SARPE 2004/10/6, RPE 2004/9/28 - 2005/1/31, w-arch until 2005/11/22, impacted canines extracted 2005/5/18.
Braces on: top 2005/6/2, bottom 2005/8/30.
Braces off: 2008/6/9.
Retainers, phase one: expanding Hawley retainer 24/7, bonded retainers on top & bottom.
Retainers, phase two: Hawley on top, bonded both top & bottom, positioner for night time use.

KJNELLAMORE

#7 Post by KJNELLAMORE »

Well, day 2 sucks. :x I can't eat.. anything :roll:

I tried mashing up some baked potato and mixing it with butter so that it's super soft.. but, I can't bite down.. at all. It sends the worst pain through my entire body. :shock: Yuck. I guess I will be sticking with liquids. Blah.

SweetSheena

#8 Post by SweetSheena »

just want to say congrats
*~*I was here to leave my mark!*~* :)

06/2007 - Braces off
[/url]

KJNELLAMORE

#9 Post by KJNELLAMORE »

I figured out the smashing on the roof of my mouth trick today :jump: Too bad I won't be able to do that easily once I have my RPE in!

joplin

#10 Post by joplin »

I figured out the smashing on the roof of my mouth trick today. Too bad I won't be able to do that easily once I have my RPE in!
You'll be surprised how you will learn new tricks :lol: I remember how it first seemed impossible to ever eat again in the first place with that RPE in the way, but towards the end of my 4 months engagement with that thing I was able to eat almost anything.
Case: Impacted canines, crowding & crossbite.
Treatment: SARPE 2004/10/6, RPE 2004/9/28 - 2005/1/31, w-arch until 2005/11/22, impacted canines extracted 2005/5/18.
Braces on: top 2005/6/2, bottom 2005/8/30.
Braces off: 2008/6/9.
Retainers, phase one: expanding Hawley retainer 24/7, bonded retainers on top & bottom.
Retainers, phase two: Hawley on top, bonded both top & bottom, positioner for night time use.

KJNELLAMORE

#11 Post by KJNELLAMORE »

Ahh, well it's Day 4 and I am still in so much pain :roll: . Yuck. I know, I know, it's normal.. but it still sucks!

If floss even touches my archwire, it sends this awful shock of pain through my body. One of my molars bites down in between two teeth, which is why I can't chew. There is so much pressure on my lowers.. if the molar touches between them, it's just the most awful pain. All of my teeth feel very loose.. so I know that the wire is doing it's job.. but, I've been tempted more than once to rip all of this metal out of my mouth. :cry:

It also doesn't help that I have the flu.. but I think being so sick is actually taking my mind OFF of my mouth! :roll:

KJNELLAMORE

#12 Post by KJNELLAMORE »

I know that this is way premature, but I'm a bit obsessive about everything in life.. and braces are no different :lol:

So.. that being said, I took some progress pics today, mainly because I am in so much pain.. and I had to see if ANYTHING was coming of it! I THINK I see a change in my archwire! Check out my left lateral incisor area (is that right, Miss. KK?).

Don't burst my bubble if I'm just plain nuts! :lol:

Before

Day 4

KJNELLAMORE

#13 Post by KJNELLAMORE »

Another Update (Day 5), just because I'm sick and bored :roll:

My lowers are still really painful.. it kind of comes in waves, but it's still pretty bad. I have been doing salt water rinses often throughout the day.. but the pain isn't my gums/lips/cheeks.. it's from the awful pressure/tension. My teeth are so incredibly loose that if I try to bite down, I can feel them wiggling all over the place :shock: .. it's definitely an odd feeling. I can't chew anything that is hard even in the slightest bit, so I have been sticking with soft breads/cheeses, pasta, etc... but I did manage a cheeseburger and french fries today compliments of Mickey D's (well, the soft fries.. the crunchy ones didn't venture into my mouth!) :lol:

Other than that, I'm still very sick.. which absolutely sucks. I hate being sick, and this is bad, so it's getting old very quickly :cry: . I have an awful sore throat, bad congestion and a very bad sore throat. My little girl had the same 'thing' last week and now she just has a bad cough. It sure isn't fun. :cry:

I have my mouth routine down to 15 minutes (flossing, waterpik, mouthwash, sonicare, fluoride paste).. which is definitely good in my book. My teeth actually feel really clean because I am more inclined to take care of them so thoroughly now WITH 'these things' on.

I just thought about something, and I am a tad baffled. I had read through my ortho's information several times.. and I knew that I read that he uses self-ligating brackets (but not damon 3's) multiple times. So, I began to wonder why he used traditional on me, or moreso, why he did so without mentioning another option or giving me a choice. It doesn't really matter to me in regards to my lowers, but I'd *really* like my uppers to be as unnoticeable as possible without ceramics.. and I *really* would prefer to not have ligatures on top. So, I am wondering why he never offered/spoke of them, yet it very clearly states in his information/website that he uses self-ligating brackets. I just thought that it was odd.. and now I am wondering if they are an option for my uppers, or not.. and if so, why not.

It actually states (in his information packet):

Dr. M uses self-ligating brace systems. Created with advanced materials and an ultra-modern design, these revolutionary brackets reduce the number of appointments because of their ability to work more quickly and gentle than traditional brackets.

The coordinator DID mention that he did not use Damon 3's (which is fine), but no one ever said that they/he were using traditional and I had no idea until I was asked to pick a color in regard to ligatures once the brackets were already on my teeth. His packet also discusses ceramic/cosmetic braces, Invisalign and the use of Nickel Titanium wires.. but it doesn't say anything about 'traditional' brackets either. Isn't that odd?

I know that there is usually very little difference in regards to 'time', but if I can get away with not needing ligatures, I'd really like to. I'm honestly very self-conscious about all of this.. and even though I rarely smiled with my mouth open BEFORE, I think I might do even less of it now.. at least for a while. I am several states away from my home state/friends/family, which is why I am doing this NOW.. because I don't really care what anyone *here* thinks of me, except my husband and a few friends! :P I really want it over and done with, and I am hoping that the new two years fly by.

KJNELLAMORE

#14 Post by KJNELLAMORE »

Good question, KK. I assumed it was up to date.. it looks as if it is.. but I will definitely be asking!

My teeth on the right are definitely VERY loose.. as in I can wiggle them in the mirror.. and they seem very loose when I bite down.. like they're loose vertical AND horizontal. The left is also loose.. but I think the right is just a smidge moreso. Either way, they're all very loose.. maybe that's why I'm in so much pain! :? I just figured that was normal! When I bite down, all of my lowers move noticeably down.. so it's a really weird sensation, especially where I bite down in the back and my upper molar goes between two lowers.. then they feel like they're 'spreading' in a way that is either uncomfortable, painful or just weird.

I just went to check in the mirror just to make sure I wasn't going crazy.. and ALL of my lowers visibly move.. I can see the bracket/archwire moving in the mirror. They feel like they could fall out.. it's quite odd! In fact, one of my new bad habits is playing with them with my tongue, or biting down where it actually hurts but feels funny in a weird way :lol: .

That IS supposed to happen, right? :lol: :?:

KJNELLAMORE

#15 Post by KJNELLAMORE »

Well, here's my one week update for whoever actually reads this :roll:

I haven't really noticed much movement.. even though I'm still in tons of pain and all of my teeth are so incredibly loose.

Pre-Braces

Day 1 Lowers (this was actually from Day 3)

One Week Lowers

Day 1 Frontal

One Week Frontal