Can teeth be moved forward in an adult?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Liz-07

Can teeth be moved forward in an adult?

#1 Post by Liz-07 »

Can front teeth be moved forward in an adult?

Please help! At age 27, last year, I got top braces to correct an overjet. My top teeth actually were straight - still wore retainer from teen years - but my bottom teeth had crowded & drifted backwards, creating the overjet. So I had braces put on the top teeth to retract them. My orthodontist shaved down my front top teeth and moved them backwards... and the results, aesthetically, are awful. My top teeth are too far back for my face. The teeth are practically flat across and when I smile, it looks like a "cheshire cat" smile. And my face, which was a bit narrow to begin with, looks much longer and narrower - not to mention nose appears larger, top lip thinner and flat; overall the face looks as if it's sagging. I know it's "only appearance" but it's been such a dramatic change to my face and it's just devastating.

All ortho's I've consulted have said it's impossible to move the teeth forward (original ortho lost his temper when I voiced my concerns; I had the braces removed by another.). They've said adult palates cannot be expanded or lengthened since the bone has fused, and that nothing (short of surgery) can move them forward again.

Has anyone heard of adults having their teeth moved forward (not "tipped")? I would love to know how - braces, expander type appliance, or anything else? If so, any complications?

Thank you so much. I really don't know who else to turn to; so many ortho's have said nothing can be done. I appreciate any input you might have.

missing_tooth

#2 Post by missing_tooth »

Just ask KK, I believe that is what she is having done.

right?

- Missing Tooth -

justices

Re: Can teeth be moved forward in an adult?

#3 Post by justices »

Hi

Just wondering if the above can be done, as im in the same situation ? Thanks