My Story Until Now..I would love reassurance :/

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

25BracedGirl

My Story Until Now..I would love reassurance :/

#1 Post by 25BracedGirl »

Hi, I'm new! (1st of all English is not my first language so sorry for any mistakes)
I actually should have joined the forum early september...I'm not braced right now.
My story begins January of last year when i decided to fix my smile for aesthetic reasons...i had a high canine that i wanted to make room for, i also have a slight unilateral crossbite (not too noticeable ) that never gave me any problems TMJ wise.

-The first step was an expander that i wore for 4 months...i then discovered that it only tipped the molars that it was attached to because expander doesn't efficiently work on adults. And this was the first move that messed up my bite, as i said before with the crossbite my jaw in the years had found the comfortable position and I had a functional bite even if it wasn't straight aesthetically.
This started my first symptoms that i regret not to have connected to what was happening in my mouth...my molars didn't touch anymore in my left side and with months of treadmill i slowly injured my left knee as I was doing excersices while being unbalanced. Second symptom I had was my left ear clogging randomly.

-My orthodontist then put me other 3 months on elastics because he said he couldn't brace me if my molars weren't rotated right...when he rotated my lower left molar pain in my left ear started, but as I didn't have other problems I brushed it off.

-Early september i have been braced and the nightmare began :cry: at first nothing happened because he activated the braces 50%...later in the first adjustment he put me metal elastics because i smoke and the rubber invisible ones were becoming yellow. My teeth were moving so fast, I would wake up and over night i would find a big gap, but I was happy about it.
Then one day I had a terrible episode of vertigo that I still didn't connect to my teeth because my ear was clogging so i thought for sure I had an ear infection so I went to the ENT but nothing was wrong with my ear...i even got an MRI of my ear because I didn't trust that i had nothing, but again it showed that i had nothing.
In addition to the clogged ear and dizzines i noticed my neck becoming super tense on the left side (the muscle was showing under my skin) then submandibular pain started and last symptom my cervical and skull started to hurt.

I couldn't sleep anymore in pain confused and scared by what was happening to me and that's when googling my sympthoms i have been introduced to TMJ and finally understood what i had. In the meantime to get the MRI i had to take the braces off and slowly (in 1 month) my symptoms started to leave me thank God. Now i don't have pain anymore but more a soreness and what I hate the most i have random dizzines and feel unbalanced.

I changed doctor of course and went to talk with an orthognatodontist that finally gave me x-rays (now i understand how unprofessional my first orthodontic was by working just with his eyes :shock: ) the x-rays showed that my left condyle is slightly longer than the other so he was pushing it in my ear :ThumbsDown: plus i noticed that after all the trouble with expanding my upper palate he braced me upper and lower together making it so that my lower bite expanded a lot faster than my upper that had to make room for tha canine.

Now this new orthognatodontist wants to brace me again (first the upper and after a few months the lower) and I'm very scared of a new TMJ inflamation...of course I know that I have to do something because my bite is so uncomfortble and I don't close my teeth anymore.

Wish me good luck i should get braced on the 21st.

Has anyone had a similar experience and can reassure me? :oops:

swisscat

Re: My Story Until Now..I would love reassurance :/

#2 Post by swisscat »

Good luck with your journey! I think it is downright crazy to put braces on someone without x-rays. Your first orthodontist is a crook.

Your new orthodontist should be able to tell you how he will avoid a similar problem this time. Talk to him! You are going to pay a lot of money for this, you have the right to ask questions.

25BracedGirl

#3 Post by 25BracedGirl »

Thank you swisscat...well putting braces only on top for a few months seems logical to me to avoid the conflict between upper and lower arch that was previously created and that should have made my muscles go crazy :-* The new one knows how my bones are so he should be planning everything accordingly...let's hope for the best, I'll keep you guys posted.

Ali

#4 Post by Ali »

Oh boy, you have been through the wringer! Best of luck to you, and keep us posted.

25BracedGirl

#5 Post by 25BracedGirl »

Yea you can say that :crazy:
Thank you and I Will....from the 21st i Will be officially braced :tingrin:

lovelyanything621

#6 Post by lovelyanything621 »

Oh God, that must've been hell...

tillybrace

#7 Post by tillybrace »

you should be proud that you spoke up for yourself and changed doctor. :D

Murcatko

#8 Post by Murcatko »

It's really unfortunate that there are still so many doctors that can be so unprofessional especially when treating such sensitive parts of body as mouth/face. That's why I always read online reviews obsessively before chosing any doctor so I know what treatment / results to expect. But be wary of fake reviews, because there are many doctors with fake reviews (both positive and negative :D)-
Hope you will have better luck this time and that your new doctor will be more responsible. All the best with your treatment! :)