second round of braces - extractions or nah?

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Chxsing

second round of braces - extractions or nah?

#1 Post by Chxsing »

on tuesday i got my fastbraces off and i feel rather very bittersweet with the results. i was very happy with my teeth after he took the braces off as they look so much better without a wire protruding around it, but now its been a few days and i feel very meh and sad about it. i wish i just got extractions in the first place now, so thats like 6k down the drain! :oops:

i am planning to go for another round of braces and getting 2 top extractions in order to fix my 6-7mm overbite that i still have, but i really am not sure whether to get extractions or not. like those teeth are not ever gonna go back into your mouth if you want them to so i am very redundant on my decisions right now, along with my funding complications. I am so scared that my top lip will sink in and look a tad different and weird *i have a plum bottom lip so i am afraid it will look uneven*. one of my siblings had the "four on the floor" treatment which she calls extremely traditional these days; she is not happy with her jaw nowadays and urges me to get a expander or such just to avoid unhappy results that she had outcome with, but in my opinion i would kill to have her perfect shaped set of teeth which were done with extractions gosh :roll: :heart:

can you guys please let me know all your different experiences of extractions as i am very curious about your outcomes and opinions whether i should consider extractions or go with another method if possible :BigGrin: thankies

Chxsing

Re: second round of braces - extractions or nah?

#2 Post by Chxsing »

[quote="Chxsing"]on tuesday i got my fastbraces off and i feel rather very bittersweet with the results. i was very happy with my teeth after he took the braces off as they look so much better without a wire protruding around it, but now its been a few days and i feel very meh and sad about it. i wish i just got extractions in the first place now, so thats like 6k down the drain! :oops:

i am planning to go for another round of braces and getting 2 top extractions in order to fix my 6-7mm overbite that i still have, but i really am not sure whether to get extractions or not. like those teeth are not ever gonna go back into your mouth if you want them to so i am very redundant on my decisions right now, along with my funding complications. I am so scared that my top lip will sink in and look a tad different and weird *i have a plum bottom lip so i am afraid it will look uneven*. one of my siblings had the "four on the floor" treatment which she calls extremely traditional these days; she is not happy with her jaw nowadays and urges me to get a expander or such just to avoid unhappy results that she had outcome with, but in my opinion i would kill to have her perfect shaped set of teeth which were done with extractions gosh :roll: :heart:

i dont get to see a orthodontist till 3 weeks later, and the ones i really want to go either isnt till mid-2018 and 2019. i just really want to consult as many as i can to see what they can offer. Can you guys please let me know all your different experiences of extractions as i am very curious about your outcomes and opinions whether i should consider extractions or go with another method if possible :BigGrin: thankies[/quote]

assertives

#3 Post by assertives »

6k for fast braces with a general dentist? :shock: Didn't know that fastbraces cost that much.

Anyway, regarding extractions, it is not meant for everyone. Personally, I extracted 8 teeth prior to braces. 4 premolars and 4 wisdoms. I had a very protrusive profile and moderate crowding. My top front teeth were literally flying out of my mouth.

Extracting the wisdoms were a no brainer for me as they were impacted and sitting on the slope of my mandible. So I can't see what role they even played in supporting my face to begin with, and one of them actually caused a cavity in the root of my 2nd molar (my first cavity in my life!). :gavel:

As for the premolars, after my ortho straightened out the crowding, my top arch was still flared out and we haven't even begun retracting. So I could see why extractions were indicated for my case.

If you have already gone down the no extractions route and resulted in a significant overbite, then I think chances are, you would probably benefit from them.

BTW, did your dentist do any shaving between your teeth during your fastbraces? If he already did, then you are not likely to see much more improvement in the overbite without getting extractions.

As for getting an expander, if you are still growing, it would probably be feasible. If you are at the age where you have stopped growing, expanders would really only tip the teeth outwards and not expand your jaw. Also, there would be stability issues in the long term. You may actually need to get surgery (look up SARPE/SARME) with the expander route.

There isn't such a thing as the perfect treatment plan I find, as there is always a trade-off somewhere. So it's all about finding out what your priorities are and what you can trade-off and live with or without. Alternatively, you could also opt to do nothing and leave your teeth alone.

Consult with an ortho and see what your options are. Good luck!

Chxsing

#4 Post by Chxsing »

assertives wrote:6k for fast braces with a general dentist? :shock: Didn't know that fastbraces cost that much.
far out I know right! im going to consult numerous orthodontists over the month and one of them charges around 10k-12k for normal braces treatment! what!!!! :shock:
assertives wrote:BTW, did your dentist do any shaving between your teeth during your fastbraces? If he already did, then you are not likely to see much more improvement in the overbite without getting extractions.

There isn't such a thing as the perfect treatment plan I find, as there is always a trade-off somewhere. So it's all about finding out what your priorities are and what you can trade-off and live with or without. Alternatively, you could also opt to do nothing and leave your teeth alone.

Consult with an ortho and see what your options are. Good luck!
yes, I did get IPR and it really didn't do much to be honest but instead it just caused extra power chain pain and unnecessary appointments hah.. honestly I wish I had done my research (regret so much) so much more on what type of treatment was right for me cause now im just going to enter into a extra 2-year long treatment plan hmmm :FeelSick: how unfortunate. I'd love to leave my teeth alone because appointments are extremely time-consuming in a students life, especially around this time of the year, and having to cope with the painful eating experiences after getting them tightened are a never-want-again experience.

I am also waking up to a extremely stiff clicky jaw every morning whenever I wear my retainer - and this morning I had the loudest and most 'dislocated' crack on the right side of my jaw and it scared the heck out of me. now im not gonna wear my retainers for a few days and allow relapse to happen slightly because this is extremely scary holy. :(

thanks for the soothing reply, appreciate it heaps x :BigGrin:

Lovespain5

#5 Post by Lovespain5 »

Extractions or Herbst appliance. It depends if you initially have a small lower jaw or not.
:?:-#):mrgreen: