Braces for the first time at 39

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jole958237

Braces for the first time at 39

#1 Post by jole958237 »

I'd posted elsewhere but decided to make one here so I can keep updating. Moderate/severe crowding on both archs with rotated top front teeth and a overjet. I got braced two weeks ago, but only my bottom arch was wired. Upper premolars were then extracted and the top wire (with a power chain!) went in yesterday, and my bottom o-rings were also replaced. I gotta say, I've never been in such pain in a dental chair as yesterday. The assistant had a hard time with my crowded teeth and some spots where she had to try several times had me almost in tears. It's much better today, luckily. And I'll definitely be taking Tylenol for my next appointment!

jole958237

Re: Braces for the first time at 39

#2 Post by jole958237 »

I'm real bummed about some recent news. I have a cavity. It's my third one this year! It looked alright on xray but the teeth shifting around there revealed it to be worse than expected. I've to get the wire removed, then a filling done and the wire put back. I brush after every meal, waterpik, floss, do a fluoride rinse every night, even before braces. Sure hope I'm done with all this when my bite/overcrowding's fixed!

EmilyTravels

#3 Post by EmilyTravels »

jole958237 wrote:I'm real bummed about some recent news. I have a cavity. It's my third one this year! It looked alright on xray but the teeth shifting around there revealed it to be worse than expected. I've to get the wire removed, then a filling done and the wire put back. I brush after every meal, waterpik, floss, do a fluoride rinse every night, even before braces. Sure hope I'm done with all this when my bite/overcrowding's fixed!
I am so sorry! :( That is a big fear of mine. I had my teeth checked, cleaned, and x-rayed right before getting my braces and did not have any cavities then, but I am super paranoid about developing one. Sometimes you can do everything right and still end up with a cavity, I guess. I hope the filling won't be too painful or set you back too much in your orthodontia!

jole958237

#4 Post by jole958237 »

Had my filling followed by an adjustment at the orthodontist's today. It was better than I expected actually. Filling didn't hurt at all other than the 'slight pinch' of the local. Adjustment was still painful (any time the assistant pressed on a tooth, It felt as if it'll fall out!) but I was braced for it, pun intended! Same wires, just a change of the elastics today. Am pretty happy with progress, I can see the bottom arch uncrowding for sure, it's amazing how fast it's moving. Still waiting to see visible results on top, but my bite's all wonky, so something's moving, lol.

EmilyTravels

#5 Post by EmilyTravels »

jole958237 wrote:Had my filling followed by an adjustment at the orthodontist's today. It was better than I expected actually. Filling didn't hurt at all other than the 'slight pinch' of the local. Adjustment was still painful (any time the assistant pressed on a tooth, It felt as if it'll fall out!) but I was braced for it, pun intended! Same wires, just a change of the elastics today. Am pretty happy with progress, I can see the bottom arch uncrowding for sure, it's amazing how fast it's moving. Still waiting to see visible results on top, but my bite's all wonky, so something's moving, lol.
Glad the filling was not too bad. Good!

jole958237

#6 Post by jole958237 »

EmilyTravels wrote:Glad the filling was not too bad. Good!
Thanks! It's a relief to have it over and done with. Have been extra motivated on oral hygiene since :)

EmilyTravels

#7 Post by EmilyTravels »

jole958237 wrote:
EmilyTravels wrote:Glad the filling was not too bad. Good!
Thanks! It's a relief to have it over and done with. Have been extra motivated on oral hygiene since :)
I hear ya! One thing you may want to look for is ACT "Braces care" mouth rinse. I found it at Walmart. It contains fluoride, and even if you're using fluoride toothpaste, I suspect this works well to coat your teeth a bit. I use it at night before bedtime. Not a huge fan of the taste, but if it will keep me from getting cavities while braces, it's a small price to pay.