Braces for grinding and headaches

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Heidirs

Braces for grinding and headaches

#1 Post by Heidirs »

Getting braces put on the 18th of this month. Already had my appointment for records and spacers.

My parents took me to see an ortho when I was in high school (16 maybe?) for my overcrowded teeth. I was not embarrassed about my smile, and the only reason the ortho could give for getting braces done is, "People with straight teeth do better at job interviews." No joke. My parents were only interested in getting me a consultation because I was nearing the age where the insurance would no longer pay for it. Since there didn't seem to be any reason to get braces beyond cosmetics, we decided not to do them.

I started gradschool in 2011, and I fully believe the stress is what caused me to start grinding my teeth. Never had a problem before then.

In 2014, I was rear ended at a full stop by a moving truck going 80 mph. I have since then suffered from 24/7 headaches. My neurologist has concluded that these headaches are muscular and stem from the muscles around my head seizing up during the car accident to try to keep my head in place from the whiplash. I'm on daily medication for these headaches, and the hope is that the muscles around my head will eventually relax. Since they haven't, my neurologist suspects that my nightly teeth grinding may be agitating the muscles.

I've spoke with my dentist about the situation and he referred me to the ortho I'm seeing. Ortho has assured me that properly aligned teeth can't grind. He's also treated cases like mine, and for a majority of them braces do improve their symptoms. The small number who aren't helped by braces are actually clenching their teeth, not grinding. I'm pretty confident that I'm grinding given the marks on my night guard and how my teeth feel on nights I forget to wear it.

So, now I'm getting braces. I'm a little miffed that insurance would have paid for it in high school when I had no reason to get them besides cosmetics but won't pay for them now that I have an actual medical reason, but I digress. Looking back, I still don't think I would have gotten braces before. I'm much better about my dental hygiene now. And I'm in a much better mindset where I actually want braces. Back then, I think I would have been really miserable about the whole thing. And now I'm actually excited about the idea of having straighter teeth. I'll be turning 29 in July, btw.

My sentence is 18 months and ortho doesn't think he'll have to remove any teeth but says he'll need to reevaluate as treatment goes. I'm really surprised about the whole thing because I've seen pictures on here of people with longer treatment times and less crowded teeth than mine. I guess we'll see. I also have a skeletal related underbite. No plans to fix that surgically.

Here's to a future of this :HugeGrin: and less of this :-+.

I'll post pics once I get past the new member status.

Heidirs

Re: Braces for grinding and headaches

#2 Post by Heidirs »

Mind the discoloration. My teeth always start to look bad right before I go in for my 6 month cleaning, which is the 13th. So they'll be all pearly white and beautiful again in a few days.

front view

bottom

crooked corner (worst part)

All these make my teeth look horrendous, so here's a normal smile pic.
My husband's told me the snaggle tooth is "cute." Oh, well. Bye, bye, snaggle tooth.

atrixa

#3 Post by atrixa »

I'm so excited for you! What type of braces are you getting? I've had traditional metal for the past 7 weeks.
Upper arch braced (traditional metal) on 17/02/17
Debonded 17/01/18 with a fixed retainer
Estimated treatment time 18 months, actual time 11 months :-*

FlyByNight

#4 Post by FlyByNight »

Congrats on getting braces! Thankfully it doesn't look like you grinded too much away.

Heidirs

#5 Post by Heidirs »

atrixa wrote:I'm so excited for you! What type of braces are you getting? I've had traditional metal for the past 7 weeks.
I'm getting normal metal braces on both the top and the bottom.
FlyByNight wrote:Congrats on getting braces! Thankfully it doesn't look like you grinded too much away.
I actually got my night guard pretty early. I had to get fillings pretty soon after I started gradschool. And after the fillings, I was in a lot of pain. And the dentist concluded I was grinding my teeth. So they've been protected for the most part.

Heidirs

#6 Post by Heidirs »

With the spacers in, my custom made mouth guard no longer fits. And I'm still grinding my teeth. (I'm also pretty sure my teeth have have moved from the spacers alone.) So I went out to the store to get a new one.

I didn't want to get molded because I don't want to stop teeth movement, but I've never been a fan the non-molding cheap ones. I've had them fall out of place before, and at that point they're pretty useless.

I ended up getting these instead. They were NOT cheap. But it comes with two of them (as compared to some of the other brands that only had one), and they are just adjustable to fit. I've had them for two nights now, and I haven't had any issues. And my teeth are feeling a lot better to not be grinding on them. I can eat most normal foods. :BigGrin:

Braces go on in less than a week!

dovhe

#7 Post by dovhe »

I'm a grinder as well... My lower teeth are pretty worn from years of grinding (luckily I have huge teeth, so it's not really that noticable if you don't know what to look for :lol: ). I was so scared during my first night with upper + lower braces - I was sure I would break all my teeth and the brackets.

Heidirs

#8 Post by Heidirs »

They're on! :HugeGrin:

Took an hour and half, and I'm pretty sure I fell asleep in the chair at some point. Nothing hurts yet, though I'm sure I'll be feeling it tomorrow.

The issue I have currently is talking. My lips don't connect at the front unless I work at it.

atrixa

#9 Post by atrixa »

Heidirs wrote:They're on! :HugeGrin:

Took an hour and half, and I'm pretty sure I fell asleep in the chair at some point. Nothing hurts yet, though I'm sure I'll be feeling it tomorrow.

The issue I have currently is talking. My lips don't connect at the front unless I work at it.
:jump: Yes, I had the lip issue too, even with just an upper brace. I got them on the Friday and by the Wednesday, I was fine.
Upper arch braced (traditional metal) on 17/02/17
Debonded 17/01/18 with a fixed retainer
Estimated treatment time 18 months, actual time 11 months :-*

Heidirs

#10 Post by Heidirs »

atrixa wrote: :jump: Yes, I had the lip issue too, even with just an upper brace. I got them on the Friday and by the Wednesday, I was fine.
Good to know! Thanks.

Heidirs

#11 Post by Heidirs »

Starting to feel the ache now. Ice cream is great.

Man, I'm wondering how much worse I'm going to feel in the morning.

Steph30

#12 Post by Steph30 »

Heidirs wrote:Starting to feel the ache now. Ice cream is great.

Man, I'm wondering how much worse I'm going to feel in the morning.
How are you feeling? My first 5-9 days were pretty horrendous! Hang in there it will get better :heart:

Heidirs

#13 Post by Heidirs »

Steph30 wrote: How are you feeling? My first 5-9 days were pretty horrendous! Hang in there it will get better :heart:
Thanks for asking! Day two was a little rough. Day three is better. I've found that ice cream and swishing ice water around my mouth help to numb stuff. I'm doing pretty well, I think, considering all the pain horror stories I've heard. :thumbsup:

Steph30

#14 Post by Steph30 »

Heidirs wrote:
Thanks for asking! Day two was a little rough. Day three is better. I've found that ice cream and swishing ice water around my mouth help to numb stuff. I'm doing pretty well, I think, considering all the pain horror stories I've heard. :thumbsup:

Awesome! that's good :)

Heidirs

#15 Post by Heidirs »

I've had some gum recession, and I'm working to fix that. I started a whole other thread for it, so I'll just link it here.
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 13&t=52124