Just saying hello

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

erin5550

Just saying hello

#1 Post by erin5550 »

I am a newbie. I just got top and bottom metal braces and a removable upper bite plate on 3/9. I would like to know the best way to clean a bite plate if anyone has experience with this. It looks like it's turning yellow where I bite down on it. I have an overbite and tend to grind my teeth while I sleep.

Steph30

Re: Just saying hello

#2 Post by Steph30 »

erin5550 wrote:I am a newbie. I just got top and bottom metal braces and a removable upper bite plate on 3/9. I would like to know the best way to clean a bite plate if anyone has experience with this. It looks like it's turning yellow where I bite down on it. I have an overbite and tend to grind my teeth while I sleep.

Hello! I'm interested about cleaning a bite plate as well - I get my braces and bite plate tomorrow and youre the only person ive seen mention one.

How are your teeth feeling?

erin5550

#3 Post by erin5550 »

Not too bad. Everyone kept telling me I was going to fee like I got hit with a baseball bat but it jut hasn't been that bad. Tomorrow is 3 weeks. They used a lighter wire the first time, I guess to give my mouth time to adjust. God luck!

Steph30

#4 Post by Steph30 »

erin5550 wrote:Not too bad. Everyone kept telling me I was going to fee like I got hit with a baseball bat but it jut hasn't been that bad. Tomorrow is 3 weeks. They used a lighter wire the first time, I guess to give my mouth time to adjust. God luck!

Oh man, I'm only day 2... and I definetly have the hit in the face feeling. Trying to keep Tylenol and Advil in my system around the clock. But I'm still super uncomfortable. I just took my bite plate out this morning for a break to drink my coffee in peace and I felt like I was ripping my teeth out with it! Yikes,..

did you even have to take meds at all in the beginning? Do you sver take your bite plate out?

erin5550

#5 Post by erin5550 »

[quote="Steph30"][quote="erin5550"]Not too bad. Everyone kept telling me I was going to fee like I got hit with a baseball bat but it jut hasn't been that bad. Tomorrow is 3 weeks. They used a lighter wire the first time, I guess to give my mouth time to adjust. God luck![/quote]

Oh man, I'm only day 2... and I definetly have the hit in the face feeling. Trying to keep Tylenol and Advil in my system around the clock. But I'm still super uncomfortable. I just took my bite plate out this morning for a break to drink my coffee in peace and I felt like I was ripping my teeth out with it! Yikes,..

did you even have to take meds at all in the beginning? Do you sver take your bite plate out?[/quote]

I took Advil the day of and day or 2 after. Definitely have been using my wax up until a couple days ago. I can take it out to eat and brush. At first I took it out about 3X a day for a short break 5-10 minutes. Now I feel weird without it.

Steph30

#6 Post by Steph30 »

I hope I get to the point. I'm still struggling with taking and find it more uncomfortable with it in than out... did you take any pictures of your teeth?

erin5550

#7 Post by erin5550 »

[quote="Steph30"]I hope I get to the point. I'm still struggling with taking and find it more uncomfortable with it in than out... did you take any pictures of your teeth?[/quote]

Yes but I am too new to post pictures still.

erin5550

#8 Post by erin5550 »

[quote="Steph30"]I hope I get to the point. I'm still struggling with taking and find it more uncomfortable with it in than out... did you take any pictures of your teeth?[/quote]

After about 2 weeks I think I was used to the bite plate. You'll get there pretty quick. Tomorrow is 3 weeks and I still can't use my front teeth to bite normal food without it hurting. I tried to bite a cheeseburger and thought I was going to die. I can bite softer foods no problem, but I guess I'm not ready for sturdier foods without cutting them up yet.

Steph30

#9 Post by Steph30 »

erin5550 wrote:
Steph30 wrote:I hope I get to the point. I'm still struggling with taking and find it more uncomfortable with it in than out... did you take any pictures of your teeth?
After about 2 weeks I think I was used to the bite plate. You'll get there pretty quick. Tomorrow is 3 weeks and I still can't use my front teeth to bite normal food without it hurting. I tried to bite a cheeseburger and thought I was going to die. I can bite softer foods no problem, but I guess I'm not ready for sturdier foods without cutting them up yet.

Tough process... I blended up some hamburger soup because I was getting so hungry.

Taking my bite plate out to clean it almost makes me cry and my teeth throb for a good 10 mins after.. makes eating anything.. almost not worth it

erin5550

#10 Post by erin5550 »

[quote="Steph30"]Tough process... I blended up some hamburger soup because I was getting so hungry.[/quote]

Taking my bite plate out to clean it almost makes me cry and my teeth throb for a good 10 mins after.. makes eating anything.. almost not worth it[/quote]

It will get better. In a couple of weeks you'll be good as new. I'm good except for my front teeth being sore and it being difficult to bite harder food. I also can't floss between some of my bottom teeth anymore so I guess things are starting to move. I have to wear the braces for 27 months. How long do you have?

Steph30

#11 Post by Steph30 »

erin5550 wrote:
Steph30 wrote:Tough process... I blended up some hamburger soup because I was getting so hungry.
Taking my bite plate out to clean it almost makes me cry and my teeth throb for a good 10 mins after.. makes eating anything.. almost not worth it
It will get better. In a couple of weeks you'll be good as new. I'm good except for my front teeth being sore and it being difficult to bite harder food. I also can't floss between some of my bottom teeth anymore so I guess things are starting to move. I have to wear the braces for 27 months. How long do you have?[/quote]

Last night was already better, I didn't need middle of the night pain meds! thanks for the encouragement :)

My treatment plan is biteplate for 4-6 months, and braces for 20-24 months. Although..... secretly hoping to be out of them by sept 2018 because im a maid of honour in my sisters wedding! Lol I know that's probably not going to happen but a girl can dream!

erin5550

#12 Post by erin5550 »

[quote="Steph30"][quote="erin5550"][quote="Steph30"]Tough process... I blended up some hamburger soup because I was getting so hungry.[/quote]

Taking my bite plate out to clean it almost makes me cry and my teeth throb for a good 10 mins after.. makes eating anything.. almost not worth it[/quote]

It will get better. In a couple of weeks you'll be good as new. I'm good except for my front teeth being sore and it being difficult to bite harder food. I also can't floss between some of my bottom teeth anymore so I guess things are starting to move. I have to wear the braces for 27 months. How long do you have?[/quote]

Last night was already better, I didn't need middle of the night pain meds! thanks for the encouragement :)

My treatment plan is biteplate for 4-6 months, and braces for 20-24 months. Although..... secretly hoping to be out of them by sept 2018 because im a maid of honour in my sisters wedding! Lol I know that's probably not going to happen but a girl can dream![/quote]

They can't tell me how long I will have my bite plate. He doesn't want to say 4-6 months and it be longer and me get disappointed. So he said it could be the whole 2+ years, but probably not. :cry:

Steph30

#13 Post by Steph30 »

Oh! I hope not!, 2 years would be a long time... I honestly cannot wear it and talk confidently.. I know it's mainly to protect the brackets on the bottom teeth so I am super careful and don't wear it all the time - i'll say its in 75% of the time - always at home and while sleeping/eating - but if I'm at my job talking it's out and I just keep my teeth slightly apart. .. soo naughty I know. :shock: Is yours pretty big? Do you have a picture? mine feels huge.. haha

jem

#14 Post by jem »

Hi Steph30,

Your bite plate is probably there mainly to correct a deep bite rather than protect brackets. The idea is that the bite plate keeps your molars apart and the molars have space to extrude spontaneously, thus correcting your deep bite. If you do not wear the bite plate consistently this may not happen or may take longer.

Whilst your ortho will probably not expect you to manage to wear the bite plate 24/7 in your first few days, they will expect it after that. If your speech is not 100% by the time of your first adjustment, the ortho will know that you have not been wearing the bite plate full time and you may risk being given a fixed bite plate instead. Your speech is probably nowhere near as bad as you think. If you wear the bite plate 24/7 this weekend your speech will probably be fine for work on Monday.

Good luck

Jem
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194

Steph30

#15 Post by Steph30 »

jem wrote:Hi Steph30,

Your bite plate is probably there mainly to correct a deep bite rather than protect brackets. The idea is that the bite plate keeps your molars apart and the molars have space to extrude spontaneously, thus correcting your deep bite. If you do not wear the bite plate consistently this may not happen or may take longer.

Whilst your ortho will probably not expect you to manage to wear the bite plate 24/7 in your first few days, they will expect it after that. If your speech is not 100% by the time of your first adjustment, the ortho will know that you have not been wearing the bite plate full time and you may risk being given a fixed bite plate instead. Your speech is probably nowhere near as bad as you think. If you wear the bite plate 24/7 this weekend your speech will probably be fine for work on Monday.

Good luck

Jem
Ahh Jem! You're killing me! hahah... When its out my mouth is literally open a bit so my molars aren't touching. I cant touch my molars right now even if I wanted to because my bottom brackets wont allow it.. My mouth doesn't close..

But you are right I do need to put on my big girl panties and just .... try to adjust. My next apt is not until the end of May.. I have a bit of time but I would like to get over this. It really is silly that I care so much about how I sound.

Thanks for the gentle push! lol :lol: