29 - Braces Journey (terrified)

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

hdavies91

Re: 29 - Braces Journey (terrified)

#91 Post by hdavies91 »

Hi, I just want to say that I have ceramic upper and metal lower. Although a bit bulkier I definitely don't regret the ceramics and they are far less visible. The only annoying thing is when you have a metal coil with them - kind of defeats the object!

RacyRonnie

#92 Post by RacyRonnie »

Hey Stephanie,
as the others have already stated, ceramics are the best solution, unless you decide to get braces on the back of your teeth. If you consider these, however, you'll have to know that they impair your speaking ability and give you a slight lisp. They are also more expensive. Ceramics do stain, sadly, and I usually wear a blue based red lipstick to cancel out how yellow they make my teeth look. Ask your orthodontist if he can remove the braces for your sister's wedding! He's done it for my graduation party.
Keep your head up, braces are worth it! :D :D

Steph30

#93 Post by Steph30 »

hdavies91 wrote:Hi, I just want to say that I have ceramic upper and metal lower. Although a bit bulkier I definitely don't regret the ceramics and they are far less visible. The only annoying thing is when you have a metal coil with them - kind of defeats the object!

Thank you, I'm happy I went with the ceramic uppers!, although I do feel like they make my teeth look discoloured.

Steph30

#94 Post by Steph30 »

RacyRonnie wrote:Hey Stephanie,
as the others have already stated, ceramics are the best solution, unless you decide to get braces on the back of your teeth. If you consider these, however, you'll have to know that they impair your speaking ability and give you a slight lisp. They are also more expensive. Ceramics do stain, sadly, and I usually wear a blue based red lipstick to cancel out how yellow they make my teeth look. Ask your orthodontist if he can remove the braces for your sister's wedding! He's done it for my graduation party.
Keep your head up, braces are worth it! :D :D
Yes, I have noticed the discoloration!! .. hate that part of the ceramics. I wish my ortho would remove them for the wedding but I reallllly highly doubt it, especially since my removal date is only a couple months after my sisters wedding :(

Steph30

Re: 29 - Braces Journey - updated

#95 Post by Steph30 »

Just a little update - I had my adjustment on the 17th. Both power chains were removed and wires switched out, my upper and lower front teeth were tied off to keep them from moving and elastics were added from the 4th upper to the 6th lower - Ortho is trying to change my bite a bit more.

I have been in quite a bit of pain from these elastics, which I wear 24/7 - you cant see them and they don't affect my speech but... oiy, havnt been in this much discomfort since the beginning... They are definitely no joke.

Next adjustment in 8 weeks.

Steph30

#96 Post by Steph30 »

Day 281!

Next adjustment on Nov 17th..
IMG_8832.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Steph30

#97 Post by Steph30 »

Update: Had an adjustment yesterday (Jan 17):

I explained to my ortho how I didn't want my bite to sit completely forward with my lower jaw .. because it makes me look angry and like a bulldog.. she said she will adjust my treatment accordingly so I don't know what that means for length of time left! Hopefully it will shave a bit off (I know i'm only 10 months into 18-24 so.. we will see).

I have crosswires on the bottom from "5-5" so the bottom ten front teeth are tied so they stay in place as they are completely straight. I got a power chain added to try and close the gap on top right and I got tie wires on the top left teeth from my front right over - I had another power chain added somewhere.. But I cant see it, it was a small one..

Elastics to stay the same, top #4 to Bottom #5 both sides.

Next adjustment is on March 7 and then I have my 3 remaining wisdoms removed on March 24th.

Time sure goes by quickly!

Steph30

#98 Post by Steph30 »

Had another adjustment yesterday... I had another pan xray taken for my upcoming wisdom teeth removal... I had to have the two upper teeth rebracketed (the ones next to the front teeth on either side).... Let me just say having those ceramic brackets removed is NOT fun.. I was having major anxiety and it felt like she was trying to break my tooth... ugh - I will need to be drugged for my de-bracing for sure lol.... So anyways, those two brackets replaced at a different angle on tooth to help with the alignment of some of the front teeth where the arch wasn't right. So hopefully that will make a difference. Had to back track on wire size now due to the new brackets...

No more elastics right now and power chains all removed... other than that not much to report. Wisdoms out on March 24.. worried about that so if anyone has any stories they want to share id love to hear it :)

Next adjustment in 9 weeks.

Aro

#99 Post by Aro »

I'm getting my wisdoms out this Friday the 16th (along with 4 2nd premolars), so I'll be going under general anesthesia. Not looking forward to it, but at least I'll be knocked out for the whole thing. I wouldn't even bother removing my wisdoms if I wasn't getting braces in a few days, but my general dentist has been hounding me to fix my smile while I'm still young so...18 months of ortho treatment here I come.

We'll see how it all goes soon enough! Good luck with the rest of your treatment as well ^_^

Steph30

#100 Post by Steph30 »

Aro wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:08 am I'm getting my wisdoms out this Friday the 16th (along with 4 2nd premolars), so I'll be going under general anesthesia. Not looking forward to it, but at least I'll be knocked out for the whole thing. I wouldn't even bother removing my wisdoms if I wasn't getting braces in a few days, but my general dentist has been hounding me to fix my smile while I'm still young so...18 months of ortho treatment here I come.

We'll see how it all goes soon enough! Good luck with the rest of your treatment as well ^_^

Hey, thanks for the response! I'd love to hear about how it went with your surgery? - I'm getting IV sedation for mine.. I'm more nervous about the recovery then the procedure itself! :shock:

Aro

#101 Post by Aro »

Steph30 wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:13 am
Aro wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:08 am I'm getting my wisdoms out this Friday the 16th (along with 4 2nd premolars), so I'll be going under general anesthesia. Not looking forward to it, but at least I'll be knocked out for the whole thing. I wouldn't even bother removing my wisdoms if I wasn't getting braces in a few days, but my general dentist has been hounding me to fix my smile while I'm still young so...18 months of ortho treatment here I come.

Hey, thanks for the response! I'd love to hear about how it went with your surgery? - I'm getting IV sedation for mine.. I'm more nervous about the recovery then the procedure itself! :shock:
Hi ^_^

My surgery actually went very well. I was nervous as all hell going into it, I even cried on the way there because I was so scared. Luckily my surgeon and the assistants were so nice and comforting that it wasn't bad. I immediately relaxed as soon as they hit me with the gas, then the IV went in and I was out like a light. Next thing I knew I woke up in recovery and it was over.

I'm so grateful to have had a wonderful surgeon. I had very minimal pain during recovery (I was expecting to be laid up for a couple days afterward, but I was good hours after surgery--I have a very low pain tolerance so that says something). It took all day to get the bleeding under control, just keep changing the gauze every half hour and keep a trash can handy to drool out into. Luckily I work for a school district and I'm on spring break this week, so I didn't have to go to work or anything. If you have some time off, please feel free to use it if you need to.

I know I certainly made a big deal about the whole procedure and the recovery, and here I am almost 7 days later with it all behind me (after a month of anticipation). Just trust that your surgeon will take care of you and your recovery should be easy as long as you follow the post-op instructions.

Good luck!
Brackets Bonded: 3-15-18||Extractions: 3-16-18||Arch wires: 3-22-18||Adjustments: 5-16-18; 7-9-18; 9-5-18; 10-31-18; 12-5-18; 1-7-19; 2-18-19; 4-15-19; 6-10-19; 7-24-19; 9-18-19; 10-23-19; 12-5-19; 1-9-20; 2-20-20; 3-12-20||Braces Removed: 6-3-20

Steph30

#102 Post by Steph30 »

Had an adjustment a couple days ago (April 25) - Back into the strongest wires top and bottom - and back in elastics from 4th upper to 6th lower....

I hate elastics :( I'm kind of over this whole braces thing and I'm only just over half way through.... I'm sick of my mouth being in constant discomfort.

I asked if I'm still on track with original treatment plan and she said yes, maybe on the shorter end of projected plan which would have me out by December. But.., not soon enough. lol

TRYING to remain positive about all this, still no regrets.. but lacking patience.

Steph30

#103 Post by Steph30 »

Had an adjustment on June 5th - because I didn't listen and wear my elastics last time I was just reminded its important to try. power chained again in the upper front tooth to close a gap and sent away for 10 weeks. My dreams of being out of these by my sisters wedding are gone.. I doubt its going to happen!... So im trying to be more consistent with elastics.

Next adjustment August 15th

meggie

#104 Post by meggie »

hey there!

I am starting with a big overbite like you did. My ortho put something called a carriere on me before braces. Ever heard of it? I takes the place of elastics - I share your hatred of elastics!

Reading your story is giving me hope :)

Steph30

#105 Post by Steph30 »

meggie wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:46 am hey there!

I am starting with a big overbite like you did. My ortho put something called a carriere on me before braces. Ever heard of it? I takes the place of elastics - I share your hatred of elastics!

Reading your story is giving me hope :)

Hi! How far into your treatment are you? I've never heard of a carriere but I did just google it!.. is it uncomfortable? How does it replace the elastics?

My progress has slowed down a lot … ready to be done! lol