Braces at age 39 - Advice Please!

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Steph30

Re: Braces at age 39 - Advice Please!

#16 Post by Steph30 »

SoulfulRetreat wrote:
Steph30 wrote:
SoulfulRetreat wrote:Steph30,

I am trying to stay optimistic too. All my life I have wanted a decent smile, so I know I have to go through this in order to get it. So you get your braces put on this Tuesday? Please let me know how it goes. I like to share stories so I can better prepare myself for the journey. I know you will do just fine! We got this!

Yes! tomorrow is Brace Day - I plan to go for a nice big breakfast ... eggs benny.. I'm a foodie and will miss indulging lol I'll let you know how it goes. Super worried/anxious!

I just read your post with your experience. I am glad it went okay for you. I can only imagine the gag reflex with so much stuff in your mouth at once. I think I'll have a similar process, I already have a bad reflex the way it is. What is a bite plate? I think I worry about different appliances in my mouth and how I will react to or adjust to them. I go today to get my x-rays and impressions done. Then I'll know more about the treatment plan. Yikes! Hoping you have a smooth a few days without any pain. :-)
A bite plate is for people that have a deep bite.. I'm not sure if you've read about anyone needing turbos or build up to prevent closing their mouth / teeth completely.. but it's similar to that. Prevents me from closing my upper teeth onto my lower brackets because I have such a bad overbite. I will need it for 4-6 months of my treatment. I'm speaking a bit better but this morning and last night quite a bit of pain.

Good luck with your moulds today!!! That's exciting. Let me know what they plan for your actual treatment. Even though I'm uncomfortable and hungry I still am happy I'm finally doing this. It's worth it for our beautiful healthy smiles :)

SoulfulRetreat

#17 Post by SoulfulRetreat »

Steph30 wrote:
SoulfulRetreat wrote:
Steph30 wrote:

Yes! tomorrow is Brace Day - I plan to go for a nice big breakfast ... eggs benny.. I'm a foodie and will miss indulging lol I'll let you know how it goes. Super worried/anxious!

I just read your post with your experience. I am glad it went okay for you. I can only imagine the gag reflex with so much stuff in your mouth at once. I think I'll have a similar process, I already have a bad reflex the way it is. What is a bite plate? I think I worry about different appliances in my mouth and how I will react to or adjust to them. I go today to get my x-rays and impressions done. Then I'll know more about the treatment plan. Yikes! Hoping you have a smooth a few days without any pain. :-)
A bite plate is for people that have a deep bite.. I'm not sure if you've read about anyone needing turbos or build up to prevent closing their mouth / teeth completely.. but it's similar to that. Prevents me from closing my upper teeth onto my lower brackets because I have such a bad overbite. I will need it for 4-6 months of my treatment. I'm speaking a bit better but this morning and last night quite a bit of pain.

Good luck with your moulds today!!! That's exciting. Let me know what they plan for your actual treatment. Even though I'm uncomfortable and hungry I still am happy I'm finally doing this. It's worth it for our beautiful healthy smiles :)
Oh okay, I wasn't sure what they were. Thank you for explaining that. I am learning more and more about the braces process from this forum. I am glad you are speaking better this morning and am hoping it gets better and better.

Well I went in for my x-rays, photos, etc. today, and SURPRISE they had a cancellation. So, I ended up getting my top braces on today. Spacers will go on in about 4 weeks and then bands and then my bottom teeth. No appliances needed so far, but ortho said that can always change. I'll post a pic on my thread. I am excited to get this journey started! Yay!

SoulfulRetreat

#18 Post by SoulfulRetreat »

Okay, I went in for my x-rays, photos, etc. today, and SURPRISE they had a cancellation. So, I ended up getting my top braces on today. Spacers will go on in about 4 weeks and then bands and then my bottom teeth. No appliances needed so far, but ortho said that can always change. Only the top row on today, and in about 4 weeks or so back for spacers and then bands. Then I will get the bottom teeth down. The Ortho stated that I could not extract any teeth, but that might tear some of my gums. She said for now we will brace the teeth and then decide on the extractions in a bit. Right now, I feel no pain, but I can definitely see how the mouth sores occur, already my cheeks are feeling the wrath of these metal braces. I have not experimented with the wax, but I will when I get home. I am excited they are finally on, but nervous for the process on down the road.

I am trying to upload a picture, but it keeps telling me the file is too large. How do I change this? Thanks!

SoulfulRetreat

#19 Post by SoulfulRetreat »

Okay, so I finally figured out how to reduce the size of the image, I think. It should be attached.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Steph30

#20 Post by Steph30 »

Holy!! No kidding suprise !! I'm envious they are doing it in two parts for you! And how wonderful that you don't need appliances yet!! Congrats! :D

SoulfulRetreat

#21 Post by SoulfulRetreat »

Steph30 wrote:Holy!! No kidding suprise !! I'm envious they are doing it in two parts for you! And how wonderful that you don't need appliances yet!! Congrats! :D
LOL! When she asked me if I wanted to get them installed today, I was like ummmmm. Immediately, I thought of all the snacks I was going to binge on this weekend before my actual brace date. haha! But, then I thought, just go ahead and get it done, so I jumped in with both feet. I'm not sure why they did only the top row right now, the Ortho just said it is better this way. So, I am glad that I can ease my way in so I can adjust. Thank you so much! I am so happy I have this message board and people like you to encourage me. I am so glad I am not going through this alone. Congrats to you! Please keep in touch so we can follow each other's progress and journey! :-)

SoulfulRetreat

#22 Post by SoulfulRetreat »

Steph30, by the way you were not kidding about how awful that contraption is to hold open your mouth open and suction. I thought I was going to gag quite a few times! That was the worst part, I think.

Steph30

#23 Post by Steph30 »

SoulfulRetreat wrote:Steph30, by the way you were not kidding about how awful that contraption is to hold open your mouth open and suction. I thought I was going to gag quite a few times! That was the worst part, I think.
Yes, I agree! Worst part.. but more fun to come your way when the pain starts lol. Well hopefully you'rs isn't bad with just the tops so far . Stuff is moving for me already. One of my molars on top is loose and clicky .. I do my best to avoid touching my teeth because it makes the pain worse! We have similar crowding on top! Excited to see our progress :D I suggest taking Advil before bed just incase,.. good luck!

carrielynn77

#24 Post by carrielynn77 »

[quote="SoulfulRetreat"]Hi Everyone!

I am 39 years old and have always disliked my teeth. I can probably count on one hand the pictures I have of myself where I actually show my teeth, usually I just smile the best I can with a closed mouth. Growing up my parents did not have money for braces or regular dental care. The extent of our dental care was going whenever we had a horrible toothache. All my life I have watched friends and family smile and I have always wished to have that same care free smile. I was teased as a kid for my teeth and even once told in my 20's, that my teeth mess my looks up. It really stuck with me and I would love to finally have the confidence that a decent smile can bring. Now I am 39 and would love to finally correct my teeth. I already have had a consultation with an Orthodontist. She stated I would need 4 teeth extracted and full metal braces for 2 years. She wants to put the braces on and then when the time is right remove the teeth. I know 2 people who have had their braces through this practice and their teeth are beautiful. So, I feel comfortable with going to this Orthodontist for my care. I have scheduled for my x-rays and records for next Wednesday. If all goes well with the x-rays, I have an appointment to get the braces on April 3rd. I am concerned with the pain as I have heard how difficult the process can be. I am worried about afterwards, as some have told me that orthodontic care in adults can lead to TMJ and other jaw problems. Can anyone give me any encouragement and any suggestions that have helped on the journey to straighter teeth? I appreciate and am grateful for the help![/quote]
Wow I feel like I just read my own bio....were the same age...same story.
I have had mine on since Feb 7th.
Its not easy..but it will be so worth it!
I can already see movement.
Isn't very much going on with my cross bite right now. I just had my bottoms put on yesterday.
i have way to many fillings in a few of my back teeth to do a bonded bracket, I have to go back to doc next week for a spacer...
I keep telling myself....the pain is going to be worth it.

I will tell you this you have a few days left to eat whatever you want.... take advantage of it.

Steph30

#25 Post by Steph30 »

Hey, how was your first night? :HugeGrin:

LisaK

#26 Post by LisaK »

You'll love it!! I wish I had one a long time ago. My teeth feel squeaky clean after..lol

SoulfulRetreat

#27 Post by SoulfulRetreat »

Steph30 wrote:Hey, how was your first night? :HugeGrin:
Hi, well I was fine the first day, only ate some soup. The second day my front teeth felt so sore. I could barely brush and flossing was definitely out of the question. I took some advil like you suggested and that eased the pain. I am still trying to adjust to them, I can't close my mouth all the way, which leads to moments of drooling. lol I was told by the dental assistant, don't force it or the braces will cut your lip. I think the real pain will come in 4 weeks when I have spacers and bottom braces put on. Yikes!

How are you feeling? Is the bite plate getting any better?

SoulfulRetreat

#28 Post by SoulfulRetreat »

LisaK wrote:You'll love it!! I wish I had one a long time ago. My teeth feel squeaky clean after..lol
Thank you! I actually saw one in Target and picked it up. I haven't used it yet, but am planning to do tonight. I am glad to have this message board, I am learning so many things about this process and the products to use during it. Thanks a million!

SoulfulRetreat

#29 Post by SoulfulRetreat »

carrielynn77 wrote:
SoulfulRetreat wrote:Hi Everyone!

I am 39 years old and have always disliked my teeth. I can probably count on one hand the pictures I have of myself where I actually show my teeth, usually I just smile the best I can with a closed mouth. Growing up my parents did not have money for braces or regular dental care. The extent of our dental care was going whenever we had a horrible toothache. All my life I have watched friends and family smile and I have always wished to have that same care free smile. I was teased as a kid for my teeth and even once told in my 20's, that my teeth mess my looks up. It really stuck with me and I would love to finally have the confidence that a decent smile can bring. Now I am 39 and would love to finally correct my teeth. I already have had a consultation with an Orthodontist. She stated I would need 4 teeth extracted and full metal braces for 2 years. She wants to put the braces on and then when the time is right remove the teeth. I know 2 people who have had their braces through this practice and their teeth are beautiful. So, I feel comfortable with going to this Orthodontist for my care. I have scheduled for my x-rays and records for next Wednesday. If all goes well with the x-rays, I have an appointment to get the braces on April 3rd. I am concerned with the pain as I have heard how difficult the process can be. I am worried about afterwards, as some have told me that orthodontic care in adults can lead to TMJ and other jaw problems. Can anyone give me any encouragement and any suggestions that have helped on the journey to straighter teeth? I appreciate and am grateful for the help!
Wow I feel like I just read my own bio....were the same age...same story.
I have had mine on since Feb 7th.
Its not easy..but it will be so worth it!
I can already see movement.
Isn't very much going on with my cross bite right now. I just had my bottoms put on yesterday.
i have way to many fillings in a few of my back teeth to do a bonded bracket, I have to go back to doc next week for a spacer...
I keep telling myself....the pain is going to be worth it.

I will tell you this you have a few days left to eat whatever you want.... take advantage of it.
Thanks! I ended up not having any days to eat whatever I want. :( They had a cancellation, and ended up putting braces on that same day I did my x-rays, talk about a surprise! But, I am glad to start the process to a better a smile. I have wanted a decent smile my entire life, not the movie star smile, but just a decent one where I can smile and not feel so self conscious. Wow! Your story does sound like mine, I am glad to meet someone the same age as me that is going through the same process. I have met a few people on here already that has been so helpful and I am glad that they share their experiences with me as it truly helps. I would love to stay in touch with you to follow our journeys together. How does it feel with the bottoms on? For some reason I keep thinking when I get mine on in a few weeks there will be a lot more pain than I experienced with the uppers.

Steph30

#30 Post by Steph30 »

SoulfulRetreat wrote:
Steph30 wrote:Hey, how was your first night? :HugeGrin:
Hi, well I was fine the first day, only ate some soup. The second day my front teeth felt so sore. I could barely brush and flossing was definitely out of the question. I took some advil like you suggested and that eased the pain. I am still trying to adjust to them, I can't close my mouth all the way, which leads to moments of drooling. lol I was told by the dental assistant, don't force it or the braces will cut your lip. I think the real pain will come in 4 weeks when I have spacers and bottom braces put on. Yikes!

How are you feeling? Is the bite plate getting any better?
You cant close your mouth? Or like your lips don't cover your braces? I'm glad you're not in agony... its definitely hard to adjust.. My teeth are still very sore as well.. hard to keep them clean :( Still cant chew... so swallowing food whole is not so much fun. Bite plate... I sound... silly in it. I'm TRYING to wear it a lot but its hard. I just took it out in the middle of a phone call because I started panicking haha.. Sounds like I have so much drool in my mouth.. like my mouth is completely frozen or I'm trying to suck on a giant candy while I talk. ITS AWFUL!!!!...

Are they installing braces in 4 weeks on bottom or the bands? or both? I thought bands came first. I just read on someone elses story that Advil slows teeth movement.. know anything about that? I was popping them like candy!