Braces at age 39 - Advice Please!

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Prometheus

Re: Braces at age 39 - Advice Please!

#31 Post by Prometheus »

I just read on someone elses story that Advil slows teeth movement.. know anything about that?

Advil is ibuprofen, a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory agent, (NSAID). Most, but not all NSAIDs slow the bone remodeling process and hence orthodontic tooth movement. Unfortunately ibuprofen (Advil) is among those that do slow the process down. My ortho told me not to use it, especially after a Propel treatment. Acetaminophen is not an NSAID and is the preferred pain med when you have braces.

If you want to know more, here is a link to an article on PubMed entitled "NSAIDs in orthodontic tooth movement", Muthukumar Karthi et.al., J Pharm Bioallied Sci. 2012 Aug; 4(Suppl 2): S304–S306. :

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3467920/

Table 3 in this article outlines which NSAIDs do and do not effect tooth movement.
Lower braces on March 11, 2015, upper braces added July 14, 2015.
Damon, metal bottom / clear top.
Braces off March 26, 2018: Total time in braces: 3 years, 2 weeks and 1 day.
Hawley retainers top and bottom.

Steph30

#32 Post by Steph30 »

Prometheus wrote:
I just read on someone elses story that Advil slows teeth movement.. know anything about that?

Advil is ibuprofen, a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory agent, (NSAID). Most, but not all NSAIDs slow the bone remodeling process and hence orthodontic tooth movement. Unfortunately ibuprofen (Advil) is among those that do slow the process down. My ortho told me not to use it, especially after a Propel treatment. Acetaminophen is not an NSAID and is the preferred pain med when you have braces.

If you want to know more, here is a link to an article on PubMed entitled "NSAIDs in orthodontic tooth movement", Muthukumar Karthi et.al., J Pharm Bioallied Sci. 2012 Aug; 4(Suppl 2): S304–S306. :

Table 3 in this article outlines which NSAIDs do and do not effect tooth movement.
Wow, okay thank you!... sucks though cause it really helps.

SoulfulRetreat

#33 Post by SoulfulRetreat »

Steph30 wrote:
SoulfulRetreat wrote:
Steph30 wrote:Hey, how was your first night? :HugeGrin:
Hi, well I was fine the first day, only ate some soup. The second day my front teeth felt so sore. I could barely brush and flossing was definitely out of the question. I took some advil like you suggested and that eased the pain. I am still trying to adjust to them, I can't close my mouth all the way, which leads to moments of drooling. lol I was told by the dental assistant, don't force it or the braces will cut your lip. I think the real pain will come in 4 weeks when I have spacers and bottom braces put on. Yikes!

How are you feeling? Is the bite plate getting any better?
You cant close your mouth? Or like your lips don't cover your braces? I'm glad you're not in agony... its definitely hard to adjust.. My teeth are still very sore as well.. hard to keep them clean :( Still cant chew... so swallowing food whole is not so much fun. Bite plate... I sound... silly in it. I'm TRYING to wear it a lot but its hard. I just took it out in the middle of a phone call because I started panicking haha.. Sounds like I have so much drool in my mouth.. like my mouth is completely frozen or I'm trying to suck on a giant candy while I talk. ITS AWFUL!!!!...

Are they installing braces in 4 weeks on bottom or the bands? or both? I thought bands came first. I just read on someone elses story that Advil slows teeth movement.. know anything about that? I was popping them like candy!
A couple of my brackets stick out, so when I close my mouth they rub up against my gums. I am using wax now and have adjusted more to the braces, so I can close my mouth now. Without the wax though, it will still rub up against my gums and lips. I can't chew real well either and I only have the top row done. I can't imagine what it will feel like when the bottom is placed. Sorry you are still have a difficult time, hope it eases up soon. Swallowing food whole is definitely no fun, that's all I've done since I got them on too. :-(

I go back on the 26th to have the spacers placed, then the bands and bottom braces a week later. I am not looking for to the spacers as I have heard its hurts really bad.

I read somewhere about Advil too, but my Ortho told me to take Advil as it helps with any inflammation. She said you can take Tylenol or Advil, but Advil works better. So, I don't know. I have been taking Advil as well, but I might try Tylenol and see how it does.

SoulfulRetreat

#34 Post by SoulfulRetreat »

Prometheus wrote:

Oh wow! Thanks for the info. My Ortho told me to take Advil, she said it works better than Tylenol. I have been taking Advil, but I might try the Tylenol to see how it does. Thanks!

Steph30

#35 Post by Steph30 »

SoulfulRetreat wrote:
A couple of my brackets stick out, so when I close my mouth they rub up against my gums. I am using wax now and have adjusted more to the braces, so I can close my mouth now. Without the wax though, it will still rub up against my gums and lips. I can't chew real well either and I only have the top row done. I can't imagine what it will feel like when the bottom is placed. Sorry you are still have a difficult time, hope it eases up soon. Swallowing food whole is definitely no fun, that's all I've done since I got them on too. :-(

I go back on the 26th to have the spacers placed, then the bands and bottom braces a week later. I am not looking for to the spacers as I have heard its hurts really bad.

I read somewhere about Advil too, but my Ortho told me to take Advil as it helps with any inflammation. She said you can take Tylenol or Advil, but Advil works better. So, I don't know. I have been taking Advil as well, but I might try Tylenol and see how it does.

I cant understand why a lot of people are needing spacers and I didn't... I don't even have molar bands... its so weird. I just have brackets on the molars. Do you know why youre getting molar bands apposed to brackets? -- I hope spacers go smoothly for you!

SoulfulRetreat

#36 Post by SoulfulRetreat »

Steph30 wrote:
SoulfulRetreat wrote:

I cant understand why a lot of people are needing spacers and I didn't... I don't even have molar bands... its so weird. I just have brackets on the molars. Do you know why youre getting molar bands apposed to brackets? -- I hope spacers go smoothly for you!
I'm assuming because my teeth are so crowded, so I need the spacers to make room for the bands. However, I'm not sure why I have to have the bands. I saw someone post that it was because they had big fillings in the back teeth and/or other dental work such as crowns, etc. I do have a couple old metal fillings and one crown, so that might be why. I will ask my Ortho at the next appointment. I would much rather have no spacers and no bands as I have heard those hurt a lot. Right now, I just have brackets on my top row, still painful, but I fear what comes next. lol!

Steph30

#37 Post by Steph30 »

SoulfulRetreat wrote:
I'm assuming because my teeth are so crowded, so I need the spacers to make room for the bands. However, I'm not sure why I have to have the bands. I saw someone post that it was because they had big fillings in the back teeth and/or other dental work such as crowns, etc. I do have a couple old metal fillings and one crown, so that might be why. I will ask my Ortho at the next appointment. I would much rather have no spacers and no bands as I have heard those hurt a lot. Right now, I just have brackets on my top row, still painful, but I fear what comes next. lol!

I did a quick google search cause I was curious and it actually lead me to a thread on this forum haha imagine that... The basic conclusion was that molar bands are needed sometimes where a tooth has been crowned etc like you had said.. and in some cases where a person needed head gear further along in treatment!

SoulfulRetreat

#38 Post by SoulfulRetreat »

Steph30 wrote:
SoulfulRetreat wrote:

I did a quick google search cause I was curious and it actually lead me to a thread on this forum haha imagine that... The basic conclusion was that molar bands are needed sometimes where a tooth has been crowned etc like you had said.. and in some cases where a person needed head gear further along in treatment!
Headgear?!? I certainly hope not! Yikes! I am hoping it is just because I have a crown. I'll ask on the 26th when I go back in. I wished I didn't have to get them put on, I've heard they hurt. But, hopefully mine won't be too bad. Without the bands, hurts bad enough.... lol

BlondeCam

#39 Post by BlondeCam »

There's an orthodontists on here! Maybe he can help answer those questions. A million moons ago when I was a teenager, my first go round, I had the spacers for a week and molar bands. No fillings or crowns. I think the technology and techniques just change a bit.

SoulfulRetreat

#40 Post by SoulfulRetreat »

BlondeCam wrote:There's an orthodontists on here! Maybe he can help answer those questions. A million moons ago when I was a teenager, my first go round, I had the spacers for a week and molar bands. No fillings or crowns. I think the technology and techniques just change a bit.
I would love to know the answer to it. Hopefully, one of the orthodontist here will answer soon. :-)

SoulfulRetreat

#41 Post by SoulfulRetreat »

So I am a week into to my braces and I can say the soreness has almost completely disappeared. All except that is, from the annoying sore spot that has popped up on the inside of my upper lip. Ouch! I have been really good about wearing wax, but I think it still is rubbing it raw. When I first got braces I could instantly feel it on my cheeks and gums, almost like it slicing them up. But, after a few days it felt better. Now, my lip is so sore and really hurts. I hate to think how it will feel like when I get my bottom teeth braced. I'm hanging in there though, I am gradually getting used to these brackets on my teeth. I have my moments when I wonder what the heck did I do, but I am hopeful in the end it will all be worth it. The wire they put on is a light wire, so I don't expect any changes in the way my teeth look for some time. Perhaps, that is why the pressure has eased up a lot. I fear when I go back in is when the real fun (pain) begins. Anyone have any good suggestions for mouthwash or medicine for sore areas in the mouth?

Steph30

#42 Post by Steph30 »

SoulfulRetreat wrote:So I am a week into to my braces and I can say the soreness has almost completely disappeared. All except that is, from the annoying sore spot that has popped up on the inside of my upper lip. Ouch! I have been really good about wearing wax, but I think it still is rubbing it raw. When I first got braces I could instantly feel it on my cheeks and gums, almost like it slicing them up. But, after a few days it felt better. Now, my lip is so sore and really hurts. I hate to think how it will feel like when I get my bottom teeth braced. I'm hanging in there though, I am gradually getting used to these brackets on my teeth. I have my moments when I wonder what the heck did I do, but I am hopeful in the end it will all be worth it. The wire they put on is a light wire, so I don't expect any changes in the way my teeth look for some time. Perhaps, that is why the pressure has eased up a lot. I fear when I go back in is when the real fun (pain) begins. Anyone have any good suggestions for mouthwash or medicine for sore areas in the mouth?

Glad most of the soreness has eased up for you!.. Not sure if you've tried ambesol but I bought some the other day just for my gum areas.. and it helps ease the pain for a bit.. I also saw another person post about putting cotton between lip and brace while at home just to give the lip a real break. Good luck, and maybe youll be one of the lucky ones who doesn't have too much pain when both uppers and lowers are braced! :wink:

BlondeCam

#43 Post by BlondeCam »

SoulfulRetreat wrote:So I am a week into to my braces and I can say the soreness has almost completely disappeared. All except that is, from the annoying sore spot that has popped up on the inside of my upper lip. Ouch! I have been really good about wearing wax, but I think it still is rubbing it raw. When I first got braces I could instantly feel it on my cheeks and gums, almost like it slicing them up. But, after a few days it felt better. Now, my lip is so sore and really hurts. I hate to think how it will feel like when I get my bottom teeth braced. I'm hanging in there though, I am gradually getting used to these brackets on my teeth. I have my moments when I wonder what the heck did I do, but I am hopeful in the end it will all be worth it. The wire they put on is a light wire, so I don't expect any changes in the way my teeth look for some time. Perhaps, that is why the pressure has eased up a lot. I fear when I go back in is when the real fun (pain) begins. Anyone have any good suggestions for mouthwash or medicine for sore areas in the mouth?
Yesterday I had my first adjustment, my first wire was very small but I had tons of movement! The intern ortho and the professor both seemed very pleased. I know I was impressed with how much improvement I had made.
As far as the bottom arch, I found that often when I used a glob of wax on the areas that were the most sore or rubbed the most, it seemed to keep some of the less sore but also sensitive areas from rubbing. (did that statement even make sense?)
You're going to do great!

SoulfulRetreat

#44 Post by SoulfulRetreat »

Steph30 wrote:

Glad most of the soreness has eased up for you!.. Not sure if you've tried ambesol but I bought some the other day just for my gum areas.. and it helps ease the pain for a bit.. I also saw another person post about putting cotton between lip and brace while at home just to give the lip a real break. Good luck, and maybe youll be one of the lucky ones who doesn't have too much pain when both uppers and lowers are braced! :wink:
I haven't tried ambesol, but certainly will go buy some. Thanks for the suggestion. My eating has returned back to normal all expect hard crunchy or chewy items. I am still using wax though on my front teeth and especially on the side brackets where those little sharp things stick out. Ouch! I'll have to try the cotton, thanks. Wishful thinking! I have a funny feeling once those spacers and bands go on, I'm done for.... lol. Hope things are better for you! :-)

SoulfulRetreat

#45 Post by SoulfulRetreat »

BlondeCam wrote:
Yesterday I had my first adjustment, my first wire was very small but I had tons of movement! The intern ortho and the professor both seemed very pleased. I know I was impressed with how much improvement I had made.
As far as the bottom arch, I found that often when I used a glob of wax on the areas that were the most sore or rubbed the most, it seemed to keep some of the less sore but also sensitive areas from rubbing. (did that statement even make sense?)
You're going to do great!
I got back for mine soon. I am actually dreading getting the spacers and bottom teeth braced. I think once I have the bands and a full mouth of braces it will really hurt. But, I am trying to think positive and hopefully all will go well. So glad your adjustment went well and that you have already had a lot of movement. Congrats! I have been using a lot of wax too and I now have a morning routine down where I apply wax before heading out the door for work. I am gradually getting used to all of this! :-)