Braces at age 39 - Advice Please!

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

SoulfulRetreat

Braces at age 39 - Advice Please!

#1 Post by SoulfulRetreat »

Hi Everyone!

I am 39 years old and have always disliked my teeth. I can probably count on one hand the pictures I have of myself where I actually show my teeth, usually I just smile the best I can with a closed mouth. Growing up my parents did not have money for braces or regular dental care. The extent of our dental care was going whenever we had a horrible toothache. All my life I have watched friends and family smile and I have always wished to have that same care free smile. I was teased as a kid for my teeth and even once told in my 20's, that my teeth mess my looks up. It really stuck with me and I would love to finally have the confidence that a decent smile can bring. Now I am 39 and would love to finally correct my teeth. I already have had a consultation with an Orthodontist. She stated I would need 4 teeth extracted and full metal braces for 2 years. She wants to put the braces on and then when the time is right remove the teeth. I know 2 people who have had their braces through this practice and their teeth are beautiful. So, I feel comfortable with going to this Orthodontist for my care. I have scheduled for my x-rays and records for next Wednesday. If all goes well with the x-rays, I have an appointment to get the braces on April 3rd. I am concerned with the pain as I have heard how difficult the process can be. I am worried about afterwards, as some have told me that orthodontic care in adults can lead to TMJ and other jaw problems. Can anyone give me any encouragement and any suggestions that have helped on the journey to straighter teeth? I appreciate and am grateful for the help!

BlondeCam

Re: Braces at age 39 - Advice Please!

#2 Post by BlondeCam »

Proud of you for saving up and taking the plunge! Sorry to hear you've had so much self esteem problems for all those years. I think you're making the decision to better yourself and feel better about yourself! Way to go!!! Welcome to the club!

BlondeCam

#3 Post by BlondeCam »

Oh and about the TMJ, I have no idea... I know the Ortho corrected mine as an adolescent with rubber bands. So I "think" if something were to arise during your treatment they could address it. Don't be afraid to ask your Ortho about your concerns. In fact there's an Ortho on this site that may be able to answer some general questions about it. Best wishes!!!! I'll be looking for your updates and progress :)

SoulfulRetreat

#4 Post by SoulfulRetreat »

Thank you so very much for the encouragement! I am nervous, but I just figure any pain or issues from the braces will be worth the end result. I was always teased as a teen, and now feel like this is my time to regain that confidence lost then back. I appreciate your kind words!

Steph30

#5 Post by Steph30 »

Hello! Our brace dates are so close together, excited to have someone to go through this with! I will be following your updates. I am also veryyyyyy terrified. I am 29 - My braces get put on Tuesday --EEK!-- Like you I am scared of the pain... as well as the inconvenience and potential TMJ problems. Trying to stay optimistic though!

We can do this!!!

LisaK

#6 Post by LisaK »

I just got my braces a little over a week ago. I'm 38. I can totally relate to you! I was brought up only going to the dentist for a tootchache. I was also deathly afraid of the dentist. It took years of convincing from my husband to finally go and get a cleaning and to follow through with getting braces. I also don't ever show my teeth in pictures. I used to practice the perfect closed smile while all my friends had these beautiful straight smiles. Kids used to pick on me as child. It was awful. I have a lot of crowding because of too many teeth. I had to get 4 teeth pulled to make room. I also have TMJ. Getting the braces on was a breeze. Just my mouth tired from having it open for 2 hours straight. That evening I was sore, but not to bad. 48 hours I was in a lot of discomfort. I can't bite down all the way do to having a crossbite and over bite. So my brackets get in the way of me biting down. If I bite to hard I'll biyr my brackets off. I was supposed to have a bite plate, but it wasn't fitted right. So my Ortho said to be really careful. I'm just starting to have less discomfort. I say keep taking your pain meds around the clock even if you aren't in so much discomfort. Its when you stop you feel it coming on again. I get relief from my waterpik. It massages my time and feels so good for a little while. I can't wait to hear more about your journey with it.

SoulfulRetreat

#7 Post by SoulfulRetreat »

Steph30,

I am trying to stay optimistic too. All my life I have wanted a decent smile, so I know I have to go through this in order to get it. So you get your braces put on this Tuesday? Please let me know how it goes. I like to share stories so I can better prepare myself for the journey. I know you will do just fine! We got this!

SoulfulRetreat

#8 Post by SoulfulRetreat »

LisaK,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience, I appreciate it. I am glad you a re starting to feel some relief from the discomfort. I know there will be pain for the first few days, I am just hoping I can cope with it. It is a big change for all of us in our adulthood, but I am glad we all are taking the plunge and doing something that will make us happy. What kind of waterpik do you have and where did you purchase it from? I am definitely going to buy one. I will try to keep this post up as my journey moves. I'll post pics once I get my braces on. Yikes! Where is your journey posted, so I can follow yours?

Steph30

#9 Post by Steph30 »

SoulfulRetreat wrote:Steph30,

I am trying to stay optimistic too. All my life I have wanted a decent smile, so I know I have to go through this in order to get it. So you get your braces put on this Tuesday? Please let me know how it goes. I like to share stories so I can better prepare myself for the journey. I know you will do just fine! We got this!

Yes! tomorrow is Brace Day - I plan to go for a nice big breakfast ... eggs benny.. I'm a foodie and will miss indulging lol I'll let you know how it goes. Super worried/anxious!

LisaK

#10 Post by LisaK »

I got the Waterpik Aquarius. I got it from amazon. I think it was around $60. It came with 6 or 7 Attachments. I love love love it!! My teeth feel so much cleaner after I use it and I actually get relief from the discomfort of the braces. Today is one of those days I wish I could get a massage for the inside of my mouth. My braces are rubbing the inside of my mouth so bad. Im a mouth full of wax today!...The joys of wanting a nice smile...no pain, no gain..lol.. Keep in touch. I would like to follow our journeys together. :)

BlondeCam

#11 Post by BlondeCam »

Ladies, I also purchased a Waterpik on Amazon after reading this forum a few weeks before my bonding. It's the best thing EVER! My mouth feels so clean. Love, love, love it!

Steph30

#12 Post by Steph30 »

Hi, I updated my post with how things went today if you want to read.

SoulfulRetreat

#13 Post by SoulfulRetreat »

Steph30 wrote:

Yes! tomorrow is Brace Day - I plan to go for a nice big breakfast ... eggs benny.. I'm a foodie and will miss indulging lol I'll let you know how it goes. Super worried/anxious!

I just read your post with your experience. I am glad it went okay for you. I can only imagine the gag reflex with so much stuff in your mouth at once. I think I'll have a similar process, I already have a bad reflex the way it is. What is a bite plate? I think I worry about different appliances in my mouth and how I will react to or adjust to them. I go today to get my x-rays and impressions done. Then I'll know more about the treatment plan. Yikes! Hoping you have a smooth a few days without any pain. :-)

SoulfulRetreat

#14 Post by SoulfulRetreat »

LisaK wrote:I got the Waterpik Aquarius. I got it from amazon. I think it was around $60. It came with 6 or 7 Attachments. I love love love it!! My teeth feel so much cleaner after I use it and I actually get relief from the discomfort of the braces. Today is one of those days I wish I could get a massage for the inside of my mouth. My braces are rubbing the inside of my mouth so bad. Im a mouth full of wax today!...The joys of wanting a nice smile...no pain, no gain..lol.. Keep in touch. I would like to follow our journeys together. :)
Thank you! I definitely want to buy one. I'll look on Amazon to see if I can find yours or something similar. I fear wax will soon be my best friend as well. Hope you feel better! Yes, please keep in touch with me as well, I would love follow our journeys together too. :-)

SoulfulRetreat

#15 Post by SoulfulRetreat »

BlondeCam wrote:Ladies, I also purchased a Waterpik on Amazon after reading this forum a few weeks before my bonding. It's the best thing EVER! My mouth feels so clean. Love, love, love it!
Thank you! I am looking at Waterpiks now and will be purchasing one very soon! :-)