Braces at age 39 - Advice Please!

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Steph30

Re: Braces at age 39 - Advice Please!

#46 Post by Steph30 »

How are things? :)

SoulfulRetreat

#47 Post by SoulfulRetreat »

Steph30 wrote:How are things? :)
Sorry I am just now responding back. I haven't been on the website in a few days and figured I would wait to update until I got my spacers in. Well, today was the dreaded day and I can honestly say it wasn't that bad....until.... now. I got them placed this morning and the entire appointment only took about 30 minutes. Most of the spacers went in without any issue, but one had to be flossed in, and that was extremely painful. So painful, that it bled. I have a total of 4 spacers on the top and 4 on the bottom. I was told that I would get 4 bands total on the top and 4 bands total on the bottom (2 on each side) I have to leave the spacers in for one week and go back next Wednesday to have the bands put on, bottom braces put on, and my first adjustment on my top teeth. I can imagine how sore my mouth will be then. Yikes! I haven't had a chance to read all the updates on everyone yet, but I am reading through them to see how everyone else journey is going. How are you doing?

Steph30

#48 Post by Steph30 »

SoulfulRetreat wrote:
Sorry I am just now responding back. I haven't been on the website in a few days and figured I would wait to update until I got my spacers in. Well, today was the dreaded day and I can honestly say it wasn't that bad....until.... now. I got them placed this morning and the entire appointment only took about 30 minutes. Most of the spacers went in without any issue, but one had to be flossed in, and that was extremely painful. So painful, that it bled. I have a total of 4 spacers on the top and 4 on the bottom. I was told that I would get 4 bands total on the top and 4 bands total on the bottom (2 on each side) I have to leave the spacers in for one week and go back next Wednesday to have the bands put on, bottom braces put on, and my first adjustment on my top teeth. I can imagine how sore my mouth will be then. Yikes! I haven't had a chance to read all the updates on everyone yet, but I am reading through them to see how everyone else journey is going. How are you doing?
Hey! Good to hear from you, you will adjust to everything in time... it's so worth it in the end, must feel good that things are happening and your whole mouth will be changing now. :jump:

I'm doing pretty good, rather than type it all out you can check out my thread when you get a chance, it's linked below! I've had my ups and downs but I just take it day by day! Cant wait to follow your progress :)

SoulfulRetreat

#49 Post by SoulfulRetreat »

Update: After a week of the spacers in, I finally got my bands on. The orthodontist decided I only needed 4 bands total, 2 on top and 2 on bottom. Originally, it was supposed to be double that. I was happy for that! It was also decided that I was not ready for my bottom braces due to the overbite of my top teeth. Again, I was a bit happy for that. Then came the bands, they actually went on without any issues and I thought well this is a piece of cake. Until...... I got out in the car and started talking to a friend of my on the phone. About, half way into our conversation, I realized my tongue was sliced up. On the inside of the bands, they pushed a hook down so it wouldn't irritate by gums or tongue. But, there seems to still be some sharp edges that are cutting my tongue. I am hoping there is some way they can fix this? Does anyone know if that is possible? Or should I just load up on wax? LOL!

I've included a picture from today, this is 7 weeks in to my treatment. When I first got braces, I opted for the silver ties, but this time I branched out into the lavender (which looks pinkish white in the pic). I figured why do kids get to have all the fun? LOL!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SoulfulRetreat

#50 Post by SoulfulRetreat »

Steph30 wrote:
SoulfulRetreat wrote:
Hey! Good to hear from you, you will adjust to everything in time... it's so worth it in the end, must feel good that things are happening and your whole mouth will be changing now. :jump:

I'm doing pretty good, rather than type it all out you can check out my thread when you get a chance, it's linked below! I've had my ups and downs but I just take it day by day! Cant wait to follow your progress :)

Hi! Good to hear from you too. I read your thread, wow, it seems like you have really been on a journey. Hope you are feeling better now. Braces are certainly a long process and one that is not without quite a bit of pain as I am learning. Sometimes, I wonder if I made a mistake by starting the process, but then I keep telling myself just hang in there and it will get better. I am excited to follow your progress as well, hoping you both come out of this with some amazing smiles! :-)

Steph30

#51 Post by Steph30 »

Your braced teeth look a lot straighter already! I have no idea about the bands or how to prevent the tongue mincing.. Maybe call your ortho to see if they can do anything to fix it?

When do your bottoms go on now did he give you a timeline?

:mrgreen:

Nicfan

#52 Post by Nicfan »

Hi, I'm 36 & had my damon top & bottom braces fitted about 2 months ago, I also had two teeth extracted on the same day. I will say that I did suffer for a couple of weeks with the pain & discomfort & found myself questioning my decision. I like yourself never smiled with my mouth open & always felt self conscious of my teeth. I work in a customer facing role & nobody has even noticed I am wearing braces, I now am totally used to wearing them & have seen good progress so far which is extremely encouraging. I have also managed to lose weight too from the fact I have build ups on my back teeth & struggle to chew certain foods. If you'd asked me at the time if I'd made the right decision I would have said no, but 2 months on I can't believe it took me so long to take the plunge. Good luck to you, you won't regret it!!

SoulfulRetreat

#53 Post by SoulfulRetreat »

Steph30 wrote:Your braced teeth look a lot straighter already! I have no idea about the bands or how to prevent the tongue mincing.. Maybe call your ortho to see if they can do anything to fix it?

When do your bottoms go on now did he give you a timeline?

:mrgreen:
Thank you! I been second guessing my decision to get them since day one because of the pain and all the ups and downs. I did a side by side picture of before and now (which I'll post in just a second) and I can honestly now see a small difference. My one tooth on the side that used to stick out, now does not. It feels weird because I can feel it with my tongue almost aligned with the other teeth, where before I could not. I actually had to go back in yesterday to the Ortho, some of the wire on one side was not clipped down enough, so they clipped it for me and tried to push the inside bands down more. It is still hurting my tongue on the one side, and the assistant said my tongue just needs to get used to it. So, I have been piling on the wax....lol

She didn't say when my bottoms would be going on, but told me it would at least be a couple more months. I am okay with that, as it has giving me time to adjust to the bands. I like how she is doing it in stages, it makes it a bit more easier I think.

SoulfulRetreat

#54 Post by SoulfulRetreat »

Nicfan wrote:Hi, I'm 36 & had my damon top & bottom braces fitted about 2 months ago, I also had two teeth extracted on the same day. I will say that I did suffer for a couple of weeks with the pain & discomfort & found myself questioning my decision. I like yourself never smiled with my mouth open & always felt self conscious of my teeth. I work in a customer facing role & nobody has even noticed I am wearing braces, I now am totally used to wearing them & have seen good progress so far which is extremely encouraging. I have also managed to lose weight too from the fact I have build ups on my back teeth & struggle to chew certain foods. If you'd asked me at the time if I'd made the right decision I would have said no, but 2 months on I can't believe it took me so long to take the plunge. Good luck to you, you won't regret it!!
Thank you for the encouragement. It is easy to lose the end result when your mouth hurts. My Ortho wants 4 teeth extracted, I am fearful of that and have yet to decide if I want to do it or not. She told me I had time to think about it and decide. I am hoping soon, I will get to the point where you are at. Everyone keeps telling me that I will get used to them, so hopefully soon I will get used to mine. Good luck to you as well and thank you again for your kind words.

SoulfulRetreat

#55 Post by SoulfulRetreat »

Before and after almost 8 weeks in braces. I am starting to see a small difference.... Yay!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Steph30

#56 Post by Steph30 »

SoulfulRetreat wrote:Before and after almost 8 weeks in braces. I am starting to see a small difference.... Yay!

I see HUGE differences!!!!! So happy for you! :heart:

atrixa

#57 Post by atrixa »

Me too! Your upper arch looks much straighter already.
Upper arch braced (traditional metal) on 17/02/17
Debonded 17/01/18 with a fixed retainer
Estimated treatment time 18 months, actual time 11 months :-*

tillybrace

#58 Post by tillybrace »

SoulfulRetreat wrote:Before and after almost 8 weeks in braces. I am starting to see a small difference.... Yay!
i assume you mean massive difference :P

bracinglp

#59 Post by bracinglp »

Wow! I can see a significant difference already! That's awesome!

SoulfulRetreat

#60 Post by SoulfulRetreat »

Thank you so much! Sorry for my delay in the response. :-)

Steph30 wrote:

I see HUGE differences!!!!! So happy for you! :heart: