Second Braces Journey at 25

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

EllenR

Re: Second Braces Journey at 25

#16 Post by EllenR »

I'm sorry to hear you have to go through this all over again :( I wish you the best of luck and I hope I don't go through this myself :(

atrixa

#17 Post by atrixa »

Thanks Ellen! Just be very diligent with retention and you shouldn't have a problem really. If you can get fixed retainers, I would definitely recommend those over removables alone. I really feel that the extra care with cleaning a fixed retainer is worth the peace of mind.
Upper arch braced (traditional metal) on 17/02/17
Debonded 17/01/18 with a fixed retainer
Estimated treatment time 18 months, actual time 11 months :-*

atrixa

#18 Post by atrixa »

Hi all, I'm doing weekly photos just for my own reference. I thought I'd post my 2 week changes here. The gaps are now pretty big compared to my start photo (bottom) and I'm now whistling when I talk (more so than normal). It's good to see movement just in 2 weeks, though.

I'm also pleasantly surprised to see the staining on my ligatures isn't actually noticeable in most lights. I am noticing just how wonky my lateral incisors are though, jeez. NOT FOR MUCH LONGER, THOUGH! WHOO!

BlondeCam

#19 Post by BlondeCam »

The wire style can cause a relapse? Oh no!!! I didn't like the other style 25 years ago.

Jjjjj

#20 Post by Jjjjj »

Also curious about the extraction relapse. I've just recently been braced, about to have 4 extractions and expecting a Hawley retainer when it is all said and done. My ortho is very experienced and I haven't heard of this before.

Looking great, by the way! I'm sure you will have awesome results in no time.

atrixa

#21 Post by atrixa »

I don't think the Hawley retainers can cause a full relapse. I don't think an overjet could come back, for example. I think my overjet only came back when I stopped wearing the retainer entirely. However, if there is room for your teeth to move sideways in your mouth, if the extraction gap is still there a bit (my left one wasn't closed completely the first time) the Hawley won't stop your teeth drifting over to that side? The gap between my front teeth came back a bit with a Hawley and the right extraction gap opened up a bit (if I remember correctly).

I was also watching a Youtube video from a girl who documented her braces journey, and she was given a set of Hawley retainers and a set of Essix. She was saying that if she alternated week on week, the essix would feel tight in her mouth again, like her teeth were moving more with the Hawley. It makes sense to me really, how is one piece of wire going to prevent teeth rotating back and moving sideways? If there's no force from all sides, like with the Essix, I'm not surprised they move a bit.

godutch

#22 Post by godutch »

atrixa wrote:I don't think the Hawley retainers can cause a full relapse. I don't think an overjet could come back, for example. I think my overjet only came back when I stopped wearing the retainer entirely. However, if there is room for your teeth to move sideways in your mouth, if the extraction gap is still there a bit (my left one wasn't closed completely the first time) the Hawley won't stop your teeth drifting over to that side? The gap between my front teeth came back a bit with a Hawley and the right extraction gap opened up a bit (if I remember correctly).

I was also watching a Youtube video from a girl who documented her braces journey, and she was given a set of Hawley retainers and a set of Essix. She was saying that if she alternated week on week, the essix would feel tight in her mouth again, like her teeth were moving more with the Hawley.
Teeth never, ever move backwards, never (they never distalize nor tilt distally). You need to keep the Hawley activated, the U loop loosens overtime when the wire in the Hawley has some slack your teeth will evert and a gap will appear
It makes sense to me really, how is one piece of wire going to prevent teeth rotating back and moving sideways? If there's no force from all sides, like with the Essix, I'm not surprised they move a bit.
the teeth in the lower jaw do that ;)

atrixa

#23 Post by atrixa »

So, I caved and got a waterpik. I was having trouble getting floss or interdental brushes between the back molars, so I thought the waterpik would be a good idea to supplement regular flossing.

Thoughts so far, very expensive but potentially worth it. It seems to dislodge some stuff that I can't get at with flossing or brushing, which is great. Mouth feels very fresh after. I am a bit concerned about mould growth in the handle though. I've heard from a few people having trouble there.

My teeth are still moving well. The extraction gap on my right side has now completely closed, and gaps are opening up between the front six and the alignment is getting better.

atrixa

#24 Post by atrixa »

I thought I would do a last photo update before my adjustment on the 18th April. I'm still seeing movement even after 6 weeks- lately I've gotten a lot of new sores on my mouth due to the wire. One is being really stubborn and not healing properly yet. My overjet seems to have increased further, but the teeth are aligning more, I think. My laterals and canines were really sore recently so I think they were moving (my right lateral seems much straighter). I am so excited to get these white bands off. I'm thinking pink next time, or maybe blue. I might have to do some client visits at work, so I want to look semi-respectable with this thing on :?
After 6 weeks:
Day 1:
ImageImage

atrixa

#25 Post by atrixa »

Update a bit earlier than I intended:

I was eating something at a food fair a week or two ago and there was something really hard in it (maybe a peppercorn?), and it hurt my lower left premolar (my lower arch isn't braced). I didn't think too much of it at the time, but I noticed about a week later that there was a small dark spot on that tooth that wouldn't go away with brushing. I think it's a micro cavity so I booked a dentist appointment for this coming Wednesday. I couldn't get one any sooner because I was away this week with work.

Being away with work was a bit difficult with a brace to be honest. I was drinking lots of coffee because I was knackered and had to be a bit creative with food when I was there. I'm also veggie so there was a lot of egg sandwiches involved :/ I think my teeth are a bit stained, and I've missed my waterpik. I was also experiencing a lot of cuts in my mouth from the wire, which was a nuisance. I thought after 8 weeks that my teeth would stop moving, but there seems to be tension left in this wire.

I have to say though, I haven't had a single negative comment about my brace from clients. None of them even mentioned it, so if you are putting off getting braces because of what other people might say, just do it!

So, I have my ortho appointment on Tuesday night, then the dentist on Wednesday afternoon. Such a nightmare, but what must be done will be done. :| I am very excited to see what my ortho thinks of my progress though!

atrixa

#26 Post by atrixa »

Had my first adjustment! Nothing much going on, he's moved me to a stronger wire to make sure the teeth are in a more stable place before we start doing anything fancy (like closing gaps). I chose pink bands this time. I was getting sick of the white. I've been using disclosing tablets once a week since I got my braces and the bands didn't stain, but the last time I used the tablets, they stained pink and it wouldn't come out. Having pink bands at least solves that problem :roll:

Anyway, fingers crossed for the dentist tomorrow. :GapToothed:

atrixa

#27 Post by atrixa »

Dentist was fine, she reckoned it was a pit in the enamel that got stained, rather than a cavity. :jump: She also said that my gums are perfect, which just shows my diligent flossing has been working since I had gum disease in October. My ortho also said I was keeping my teeth nice and clean, so yey!

So, since the new wire was put on, my teeth have been very painful. I couldn't chew at all for the first 3 days or so. I'm doing much better now, though except for my premolars. I've compared the before and after and they are being pulled down:
Day 1:
Two and a bit months:

Oh, and just a warning- turmeric does stain the pink bands a bit. I'm hoping to stain it back again with a disclosing tablet. :pinkbraces:

atrixa

#28 Post by atrixa »

I had my second adjustment today. I now have a thicker wire and a power chain (YES!) from lateral to lateral. We're going to close the first 4 teeth first, then sort the canines out later. I am relieved that the massive gap between my right central and lateral will be closing- it's getting quite big. He said again I was brushing really well and things were on track. I chose teal ligs- (pic below) I really can't be doing with the staining from the lighter colours anymore, but I'm well aware that the power chain will stain :( Overall, I'm so pleased with the progress so far :jump:

atrixa

#29 Post by atrixa »

Updating to show what the power chain has done. A lot on my left side and not as much on the right, it seems. Gross orange stained ligs are a few days before my last adjustment and the blue is today:
You can see the most significant change in the last two photos. My canine has large gaps surrounding it now. I'm quite pleased overall- my teeth are looking way better and just need to carry on doing what they're doing.

Question re ligs- Does anyone know why some brackets have the lig attached in an 'o' or square shape and others have a sort of criss-cross? I googled it but couldn't find anything. Does that do anything for the way the bracket moves along the wire or it is just what the ortho is feeling on the day?

tillybrace

#30 Post by tillybrace »

I can see some real progress there. At this rate you will be done before me,which would be totally awesome for you.I am rooting for you. I just hope that i am not still in braces a year from now, like my nightmares keep telling me.