Looking back into fixing my bite, 3rd time braces

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bellieE91

Looking back into fixing my bite, 3rd time braces

#1 Post by bellieE91 »

First, I wanted to say thanks to everyone that puts in time out of their day to write on here, it's been so helpful and comforting. Hopefully my info can be of help to others.

It all started like this...when I was younger around 6 or so, I began to notice that it was hard for me to breathe out of my nose (not sure why), and I started to breathe with my mouth open and continued to do so. It became a huge struggle to breathe out of my nose, and I had a lisp by now as well as trouble biting and chewing. Back then, although I was having these issues, being so young I didn't know my open bite and crooked teeth were something that needed to be fixed.

Well by the time I was 12 my dentist brought up orthodontics. I was still having issues with chewing, breathing, and talking, in fact it was worse.
During this time I also suffered from depression and was overweight. It was also the time I was entering middle school and I had this idea that braces would get me bullied even more. So I said no to braces to my dentist. I believe she was a very good dentist cause she was very knowledgeable and concerned about my bite, obviously she could tell i was suffering and again insisted on going to an orthodontist when i went for my next check up.

I was 13 now and having my first ortho consultation.
I was not wanting braces still, but had them put on and the next month I requested them be taken off as they were rather painful. So I remained with my open bite and crooked teeth. During this time I also developed anorexia which lasted about a year till i recovered. (But that's a whole other story)

By the time I was now 17 I realized that perhaps I should try braces again, to correct my bite. So that I could chew better, talk better, breathe better, and also enjoy smiling, because it's something i didn't do, or if i did it was a very small almost smile. I did not like my smile at all.
I wish i had just followed through with treatment at 13.

So I find a very good orthodontist, whom suggested tooth extractions. I was against it, and he felt that since I was still a teenager that perhaps a palate expander could work and create enough room to correct my bite without extractions. Sure enough it works pretty good but unfortunately I had my treatment interrupted due to having an MRI (no metal allowed) to make sure I have no
tumors in my brain. (I developed tinnitus ,nonstop ringing in my ears, when I had anorexia and still have it almost a decade later). No tumor was found thankfully even though I still don't know the exact cause.
Then I resumed treatment as soon as possible and I got very good almost perfect results.
I finished my treatment and got my retainers.
I was at the time done graduating high school and dating my bf.
I also noticed though that having no routine from school and I guess...im not sure why but during summer
I started feeling very sad, and anxious (I've had depression before of course and have taken antidepressants) i think what happened to me was also due to me having quit the antidepressents without weaning off slowly. Well I started having trouble sleeping. And i would stay up on my computer making graphic art and stuff like that. Then there was a bit of personal stuff going on with my bf and his family, and me and I was already feeling miserable (sadness, anxiety, fear over nothing really) that the personal stuff was the match that set fire to the flame.
At the time it happened, I was lost and had no clue what I was going through. Turns out, I experienced a psychotic break. I was put in a state hospital (no padded rooms or anything like that, it was just a facility that almost felt like a live in school). (But again that's another story)

I did get better and was there for about 3 months.
This happened almost seven years ago now and I have not had this happened anymore. I'm blessed that my family helped me out and my partner as well. They helped me get through it.

Unfortunately while I was there the first day I threw my retainers away and well a lot of the progress with my teeth and bite was now gone. It's still not as bad as it was before, but i'm still having the same old problems due to my bite and jaw. However, my teeth are not really crooked anymore, I have an openbite still, and overjet, and retruded jaw.

I'm doing better in life now and have decided that I should get this corrected before it gets worse.

I apologize if this was so long and well I included some of the stuff that happened to me that has stopped me from correcting my teeth. I fear now that surgery will probably be included in the plan.

Will update once I go to a consultation.
If anyone has questions, feel free to ask.

anabanana

Re: Looking back into fixing my bite, 3rd time braces

#2 Post by anabanana »

I was smiling when I read the part with "should have fixed my teeth when I was 13", thinking of 13-year-old me. I also quit wearing braces back then, before the treatment was over.
"Shoulda, coulda, woulda", right? :)

Better late than never, especially since it seems like something important to you.
Fingers crossed that the consult goes well and hoping you won't have to have surgery.

bellieE91

#3 Post by bellieE91 »

Thanks so much ana.
I have an appointment with an orthodontist in February.
I wish it was sooner but I need to get a look at two teeth that had previous root canal treatment. My dentist said I will probably have to have them pulled out :(
I'll find out on Jan. 30.
Will update soon.

SPceramics

#4 Post by SPceramics »

Hello
Thanks for sharing your story! I am also in braces at 36 for the second time, after two years of braces as a teenager. I wore retainers for a few months after hving the braces removed....this is all my former orthodontist requested at that time (early 90's). I was never truly happy with the results of my treatment. Though my teeth were still relatively well aligned, by bite had become progressively worse over time (over bite with overjet). I decided to take the bull by the horns and here I am again.
Braces went on on Dec 2, 2016. Four premolars extracted on Dec 5, 2016. First wire adjustment on Dec 22, 2016 (wires poking already at three extremities). First wire change yesterday, Jan 13 2017. I am very happy with the progress so far. Changes are very noticeable on my front teeth already and canines have become much closer to touching each other.
Looking forward to sharing stories, tips etc with other adults in braces!

bellieE91

#5 Post by bellieE91 »

That's great to hear SPceramics! I'm glad you're getting something that was making you unhappy taken care of.
Better late than never, you know.
Hopefully soon I will get my braces on, and be part of the adult in braces club. :D Wishing you great results.

My treatment is getting a bit delayed since I did go to the Endodontist this Monday and was told I will need root canal re-treatment on my two molars. Not really looking forward to that, but I think I need to take care of this before I can get braces on. My root canal appointment is next friday :?
I do have my braces consultation later this month.

bellieE91

#6 Post by bellieE91 »

Quick update here...so last week I had a root canal re-treatment. It went very differently from my previous one. This time it went very well, of course the numbing needles still made me nervous but this Endodontist was truly a professional and made sure I was pain free.
He did a really great job and I will be getting my crown this Monday or so. I still have one more root canal re treatment to do.

Also I went to two orthodontist. Both orthodontist recommended 4 bicuspids be extracted. I did bring up concerns about my facial profile and changes. They both are confident I will be satisfied with results afterwards.
I am now debating whether this would be a good idea or not. I'm very very nervous about having teeth pulled out.
The thing is also that I'm not too afraid of them being pulled out..( I mean obviously that's still scary and painful, but that will pass )..but more afraid of not liking the end results, because that would pretty much be permanent.

I might start a new post to give more detail and post my xrays.

bellieE91

#7 Post by bellieE91 »

By the way I forgot to add that one of the orthodontist had briefly mentioned surgery, but said that in my case she didn't think it was necessary. The other ortho didn't mention surgery at all. I asked about it and he said it wouldn't be necessary and retracting the upper teeth would fix my bite.
Surgery is a scary thing but I'm wondering...If that is the best way to correct my overbite, openbite. Meaning that...perhaps that will give the most optimal results.
If I'm going to pull out 4 healthy teeth...I want to make sure I'm happy. Surgery sounds pretty tough I know, but what if with the extractions I still end up needing surgery later on.
Anyone in a similar situation?

Rebeccasmells

#8 Post by Rebeccasmells »

You've had a colourful life so far x

Punklepee

#9 Post by Punklepee »

Hi bellie91,
I had orthodontic work done at age 35 for minor tooth rotation in one of my upper and one of my lower teeth. Unfortunately the orthodontist I went to stated that I needed 4 teeth pulled because my lips were too big, I am Asian by the way. He used the standard care he would use on Caucasian however Asian's noses are smaller so determining my lips to be too big by using the same methods you would on a Caucasian vs an Asian doesn't work. I also said I want to correct my teeth in the "right" way so I was depending on the professional to tell me what that was. So I did go with the extractions and I regret it and am now starting my journey to reverse what this orthodontist did get a palatal expander to re-open the spaces and get implant put in where he extracted teeth.
Due to the extractions and orthodontic work (which by the way only straightened my teeth but actually created a bite that is off) I have had an increase in migraines, clenching of my teeth so much that I wake up and have severe jaw pain so I can't eat, pain in the muscles in my cheeks and behind the ear, and premature aging to my face.
I heavily advise not getting extractions or doing a LOT of research on how extractions can damage your facial structure before you get that done so you can be sure that it is truly necessary. I wish that I had known what kind of facial changes can take place when extracting teeth but it NEVER crossed my mind. All I wanted to do was fix my rotations in my teeth that were so minor that when I told my sister and my friends i was getting braces they didn't know why because they never noticed my teeth were crooked!! Tooth 975 states that "Bimaxillary protrusion cases are the only ones that will actually improve the facial profile when premolars are extracted." Dr. William M. Hang, DDS in Agoura Hills, CA does phone/Skype consultations so maybe he can tell you whether or not you need teeth extracted.
Before orthodontic work I could make an effortless smile and you would see plenty of teeth (not too much not too little) now after extractions and orthodontic work I have to smile so absurdly large to even see a little bit of top teeth!!! What's the point in having straight teeth if you can't even see them when you smile normally???
Good luck on your journey and please do your research on extractions!!