First time braces at 33

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Vega

Re: First time braces at 33

#16 Post by Vega »

I started to turn the expander... Well, my boyfriend is doing the turning for me.. aaah some quality time together :lol:
I went to the surgeon-office on friday and we did 2 turns there and he also removed some of the stitches.

The turning doesn't hurt.. I only feel some pressure but after 5 minutes it passes.
I'm up to 4 mm now, so we are half way there. :)
What bothers me is my midline, it's still of. And now with the turning it really is starting to look weird. My gap isn't central.
The surgeon didn't say anything about it so i guess it's normal? Altough I never see pictures of people with a gap that isn't central.

This friday I have another appointement with the surgeon, to see if we expanded enough.

Juliebrynn1

#17 Post by Juliebrynn1 »

Hi everyone. I'm trying to figure out how to post still. Is anyone else experiencing extreme depression due to the braced?? I am a really sensitive person overall, and this has just made me horribly depressed. And anxiety ridden. Just hot braces Bout 5 days ago

Vega

#18 Post by Vega »

Jeej no more turning :D

Heidirs

#19 Post by Heidirs »

It seems like you're progressing and adjusting really well. I wouldn't worry too much about the gap for now. It should all come together in the end.

Vega

#20 Post by Vega »

Not much happening right now.
Two weeks ago they blocked the expander.. it really hurt oddly enough. It was the most painfull thing since I started whole the braces/surgery -journey.
Fortunately it didn't last long.
3 Days after I went to the ortho for a checkup and he noticed my front teeth were tipping in. So he put the wire in again. A very fine one with no pressure, just to make sure the teeth stay aligned in the proces of coming back together.
There's nothing moving.. I was hoping for a little bit of movement or progress but nope.. nothing. Still 6mm after 2 weeks.

A month after sugery, my upper gums are still numb. Still have stitches in my upper gums and cheeks.
Little swelling on the sides of my nose.
About a week ago I started to snort (?) up mucus, bloody mucus.. It was a bit scarry because didn't expect that. So went to doctor and he confirmed that it still was from the surgery.
It stopped after 2 days.

Monday another ortho app. He's going to replace the wire for a thicker one. Hope this will encourage movement.
Also my lower wire will be replaced.

Vega

#21 Post by Vega »

6 months in braces and almost 2 months since sarpe- surgery.

3 Weeks ago I got new wires for my upper and lower teeth, with pressure on both of them.
It's apparantly the first time they put pressure on my lower teeth wich was kind of a surprise when my ortho said that. I tought there was pressure on since the beginning...
The last 3 weeks I had a lot more pain than the months before. I could hardly eat anything and lost about 4 kg.

I still have my 6mm gap. Next week it's finally time to start closing it up. Jeej!

2 weeks ago my stitches fell out.
The numbness in my upper gums is slight less.
I had an abces on my lower back molar wich was painfull when brushing. It popped open, lots of blood but the pain went away straight after.
I have gotten used to the expander but still have to be carefull when eating hard things because sometimes it pokes the roof of my mouth and that's painfull.

Since the last 2 days everything calmed down a bit. Pain is gone and I'm able to brush and eat normal again.

Vega

#22 Post by Vega »

2 Days ago my TPD got loose.. I can flick it around with my tongue and it also makes a sound like loose metal things.
It doesn't hurt but my ortho told me it's not supposed to happen. And since it's only been 2 months since the operation it's to early to have it removed.
So they have to reattached it, wich involves local anesthesia in the roof of my mouth. That's going to hurt like hell :(

Had my regular ortho app today. Got a new wire on my lower teeth and a new one on my upper.
Also I don't have o-rings on my upper brackets but some sort of net around the brackets and that also covers my wire. (*)

(*) googled it, it's a powerchain :D

Vega

#23 Post by Vega »

From 6mm to 4mm in 24 hours :jump:

Vega

#24 Post by Vega »

Went back to the surgeon the 24th of may, and the TPD is back in it's place.
I was only a loose screw, so they didn't have to sedate me.
They did have to do some more turns on the expander because it relapsed a bit. Thankfully this didn't effect the gap, wich was closing up real nice.

Had my last ortho app a week ago.
They changed the powerchain for a tighter one and the gap is now only 3mm. Wire stayed the same but he trimmed the edges.
Also the same wire on my lower arch, he said it was coming along nice.

I asked him about my midline wich is off, and he's not sure if this is going to be corrected without surgery.
So I will probably need double jaw surgery in about a year.

noodles

#25 Post by noodles »

Vega, congrats on all your progress, I really enjoyed reading your story!
Vega wrote: I have 1 canine that protrudes (like a vampire) pushing the teeth next it to the back and the 2 front teeth are overlapping. I have an overbite of 1.2 cm.
You can also see in profile that my lower jaw is to far back, I look like a cartoonfigure.
This is a description of my teeth exactly! Whenever I look myself on photos I think I look like a hamster! Photos are what pushed me the most to make this decision, the reflection in the mirror is not that bad, but the other angles are a shock.. :shock:

Vega

#26 Post by Vega »

Okay...picture-time...
IMG_3826.JPG
IMG_3827.JPG
[attachment=0]IMG_4670.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vega

#27 Post by Vega »

IMG_4670.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Vega

#28 Post by Vega »

Yes, I know i need a cleaning altough i'm really strict in cleaning and flossing.
I quit smoking a few months ago and it's getting better but i like tea and coffee :roll: :|

Vega

#29 Post by Vega »

Another app yesterday :)
The gap was almost gone, but I had a big triangle between my front teeth.
Yesterday the 2 brackets on my front teeth were replaced, the new ones are placed different to get more tension to close the triangle.
This morning i've noticed that it started to close up,(almost) no more gap 4 months after sarpe :D
Got a new wire on my upper teeth as well. No more powerchain but i have an extra metal wire thats "weaved" like a powerchain around the 4 front brackets.
The left front tooth is a bit longer than the other, ortho said he would correct that by shaving a bit off.

The midline... sadly it has gotten worse and surgery is the only solution :(

My next app is going to be painfull i think. I have to get spacers again.
My backteeth don't have brackets/rings on them yet and the orhto said it's time to get that sorted out before surgery. The gums surrounding my backteeth have very sensitive nerves and they will be placing rings around it, so lots of poking and pulling to get them on. :?
But first.. the removal of the tpd mid of august.
Also not looking forward to that :D i'm so used to it now, it doesn't bother me at all.
But it would be nice to feel how spacious it is now.

Bbyrd

#30 Post by Bbyrd »

I can't see pics yet...trying to get a lot of post in so I can see them! Im hoping to get an expander so that I don't have to have extractions. :/