getting braces after extraction

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

west20

getting braces after extraction

#1 Post by west20 »

Hi all, Am 20 years old and will be having braces this month. Well, hopefully! wanted to share my story and connect with others who are going through (or have been) the same journey as me.

Background:

I have always wanted to get braces for my overbite and extreme spacing but like most people money was an issue. I have decided it was time for me to get braces as I have the money and just because am tired of my smile. Hiding my teeth all my life was not an option. Went to the orthodontist 2 months back and they did the x-ray and found that I had supernumerary basically extra teeth in my gums. Orthodontist said I had no choice of getting braces till I had the extra teeth in the gums extracted.

Extraction:

After a month I had the extraction done. I had a total of 7 teeth extracted- 1 was a baby tooth that never fell out. 1 tooth had to be extracted so it could be substituted for one of the extra teeth. So a chain was put on the extra tooth so that when I get braces it will slowly come out and align with the other teeth. surgeon had my gums numbed so I didn't feel any pain in the process till the numbness went out (minutes after the surgery) and was bleeding but had cloth to put out the blood. I took ibuprofen and it helped with the pain.

first week after extraction
I couldn't eat anything in the first 3 or 4 days so I ate mostly soft foods like oatmeal. I started eating normal food after a week and a half but my gums were still sensitive.

Going back to the orthodontics

I went back a month later and had them put on spacers on the upper molars-2 on the right and 2 on the left. Second day I have had the spacers and they prevent me from chewing so am back to soft foods for now. No pain at all unless I chew.

I will be getting braces on next week if nothing changes. Would love to hear if anybody else here has been through the same thing.
I will be posting updates and pictures soon.

Lovespain5

Re: getting braces after extraction

#2 Post by Lovespain5 »

Hi! I received my braces one month after the extractions too.
But I never had extra-teeth.
I had a "classical" treatment with 4 premolars extracted.
Good luck with your treatment!
:?:-#):mrgreen:

Bracingmyself33

#3 Post by Bracingmyself33 »

I had my braces on 6 days after I extracted 6 teeth (4 premolars and 2 upper wisdom).

I took around 1 month to get used to the occasional lisp, dryness, the way I eat and the awkwardness. It's almost my 3rd month and so far so good. :tingrin:

west20

#4 Post by west20 »

lovespain5: Was your extraction painful at all during or after?

Finally got my braces (brackets and will get the wires next month) but it seems like I will have to go back for 4 premolars extraction which I didn't know of before.
Not feeling any pain as I don't have the wires on yet but it's hard to chew with the cement on my molars.

Lovespain5

#5 Post by Lovespain5 »

west20 wrote:lovespain5: Was your extraction painful at all during or after?

Finally got my braces (brackets and will get the wires next month) but it seems like I will have to go back for 4 premolars extraction which I didn't know of before.
Not feeling any pain as I don't have the wires on yet but it's hard to chew with the cement on my molars.
No, they weren't painful thanks to anesthesia.
So I understand that you will have your 4 first premolars extracted, moreover than the supernumerary teeth?
:?:-#):mrgreen:

pat0231

#6 Post by pat0231 »

I was knocked right out for my extractions. It was the most enjoyable part of the journey so far.