My 2nd round with BRACES...

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Message
Author
User avatar
sneed1o1
Posts: 121
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:59 pm
Contact:

My 2nd round with BRACES...

#1 Postby sneed1o1 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:31 pm

Hello all! I decided to start this thread because I'll begin my second round with braces next month! I had my braces removed in 2012 with a case of spacing and crossbite. The treatment took 18 months from start to finish. My orthodontist gave me upper and lower permanent retainers and an additional plastic removable retainer for the upper plate. I also seem to have a tongue thrusting issue, so despite the retainers, a slight open bite has appeared over the past couple of years, mostly due to lower plate protrusion. Upon my consultation today, my new orthodontist noticed that I had some bone loss in front of my anterior lower teeth... :huh: I've never had periodontal disease or any problems with teeth besides the ones mentioned previously. I'm wondering if this was caused by my previous orthodontic treatment. However, the orthodontist has decided to move forward with treatment, as he believes it's not MAJOR bone loss. The plan of action is for me to get a "tongue trainer" included with my braces :Questions: Supposedly, this is supposed to retrain and keep my tongue from thrusting. The treatment will take an estimated 10 months. I will post pictures of my treatment throughout the course. If anyone has had a similar experience, please share!

User avatar
sneed1o1
Posts: 121
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:59 pm
Contact:

Re: My 2nd round with BRACES...

#2 Postby sneed1o1 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:34 pm

I'd also like to note that I would prefer not to get permanent retainers after this treatment because they are a pain to floss! There is barely in space to get underneath them, so buildup happens periodically. I don't see how permanent retainers are better than the removable metal retainers if compliance is not an issue.

User avatar
sneed1o1
Posts: 121
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:59 pm
Contact:

Re: My 2nd round with BRACES...

#3 Postby sneed1o1 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:18 pm

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

...here is my current situation. Slight anterior open bite; estimated treatment time 10 months. I really hope to get the hawley retainer with the tongue crib for my bottom plate. I'm almost certain my tongue thrust is happening at night, so I believe I will benefit a lot from that. Then again, I'm no orthodontist...best wishes! :wink:

User avatar
sneed1o1
Posts: 121
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:59 pm
Contact:

Re: My 2nd round with BRACES...

#4 Postby sneed1o1 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:05 pm

I am just shy of two weeks away from getting braces again, and my top permanent retainer decided to pop loose after something as small as a crumb got caught in it somehow :roll: My bottom retainer has been bent for a while, but because I moved cities, I hadn't sought orthodontic treatment until a few weeks ago. SO, I did a crazy thing and pulled both out with a pair of tweezers! Of course the glue is still there, and I wouldn't advise anyone to do this, especially if you're not getting orthodontic treatment in the near future. Hopefully my dentist can get me in before the BIG DAY to get this glue off... :mrgreen: Meanwhile, I am trying to retrain my tongue to hopefully curve this tongue thrusting issue so that perhaps my retention will be better this next time around.

User avatar
sneed1o1
Posts: 121
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:59 pm
Contact:

Re: My 2nd round with BRACES...

#5 Postby sneed1o1 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:19 pm

Attached is my Day 1 in braces! The orthodontist hit me pretty hard :crazy: It's my first day and I already have rubberbands and a powerchain! Within a few hours time, I can already see a gap forming in between my front bottom teeth. Depending on how this goes, I may or may not have to go through TAD treatment. I never thought I'd be a candidate for that, hopefully I won't have to have it! Adjustment in 3 weeks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
sneed1o1
Posts: 121
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:59 pm
Contact:

Re: My 2nd round with BRACES...

#6 Postby sneed1o1 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:34 pm

I had my first adjustment today! The orthodontist did a little IPR in between my bottom teeth to the first molars bilaterally. Thr vibration from the device was the most uncomfortable part, but overall no issues! I went with the pearl ligatures and powerchain this time around. Unfortunately, my orthodontist doesn't carry the "smoke" colored ones I've read so much about :ThumbsDown: I think I will try silver next time. 5 weeks until the next adjustment! :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
sneed1o1
Posts: 121
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:59 pm
Contact:

Re: My 2nd round with BRACES...

#7 Postby sneed1o1 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:53 pm

This is my progress as of today! I'm surprised at how much movement I've had in a month's time! :o Adjustment in 3 weeks! I have an appointment with a periodontist next Tuesday to see about doing a laser gingivectomy in between some of my top teeth. I've had this done before after my first round of braces. I hope I can get this done while I'm still in braces this time! My bite has closed, but it's feeling really weird on my back teeth. I know this is part of the alignment process, it feels like my back teeth aren't even really touching anymore. :shock: I think my front bottom teeth have come up quite well though!

Goals:
-laser gingivectomy
-teeth reshaping
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lovespain5
Posts: 310
Joined: Fri May 27, 2016 3:07 pm

Re: My 2nd round with BRACES...

#8 Postby Lovespain5 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:40 am

sneed1o1 wrote:Hello all! I decided to start this thread because I'll begin my second round with braces next month! I had my braces removed in 2012 with a case of spacing and crossbite. The treatment took 18 months from start to finish. My orthodontist gave me upper and lower permanent retainers and an additional plastic removable retainer for the upper plate. I also seem to have a tongue thrusting issue, so despite the retainers, a slight open bite has appeared over the past couple of years, mostly due to lower plate protrusion. Upon my consultation today, my new orthodontist noticed that I had some bone loss in front of my anterior lower teeth... :huh: I've never had periodontal disease or any problems with teeth besides the ones mentioned previously. I'm wondering if this was caused by my previous orthodontic treatment. However, the orthodontist has decided to move forward with treatment, as he believes it's not MAJOR bone loss. The plan of action is for me to get a "tongue trainer" included with my braces :Questions: Supposedly, this is supposed to retrain and keep my tongue from thrusting. The treatment will take an estimated 10 months. I will post pictures of my treatment throughout the course. If anyone has had a similar experience, please share!



I never had an open bite. I was treated for a bimax protrusion and lip incompetence.
But I think you will have the same rubber bands configuration as me, the class II and the class III in alternation (but above all the class II in my case).
:?:-#):mrgreen:

User avatar
sneed1o1
Posts: 121
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:59 pm
Contact:

Re: My 2nd round with BRACES...

#9 Postby sneed1o1 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:12 pm

My third orthodontic appointment was Tuesday! I got a larger wire on top (I think he said it was a 16?). I was told this wire is to straighten out the roots of my teeth, which I'm still not clear on HOW they achieve this, in comparison to other wires. No wire changes on the bottom. They replaced my power chain, and I'm continuing the class III elastics on light rubber bands. My open bite and underbite are still a thing of the past :) My bottom gap is closing, however, my midline has become worse. At the rate that I'm going, I believe I will have my braces off early. The orthodontist says my bite has come along nicely. My next adjustment is in 7 weeks due to the Thanksgiving holiday week :roll: I went to see another periodontist Thursday for a second opinion. He stated my gum tissue IS NOT due to poor oral hygiene, and that I actually take really great care of my teeth! He says I just have extra gum tissue not bacterial in nature. They're not tender, they do not bleed when I brush, etc. With that said, I won't be getting a gingivectomy until my braces come off by his recommendation (definitely not mine :P ). His reasoning is that unless I have periodontal disease, he doesn't recommend getting this done right now just for cosmetic reasons, as there's a chance that prolong wear of braces could result in some unforeseen dental hygiene issues and I could end up getting a gingivectomy again $$$. I also have some X-rays from the periodontist showing some "bone loss" he and the orthodontist keeps saying I have, but I don't see it (I'm no radiologist) :-* . I wonder if this is just because I have short teeth :Questions:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
sneed1o1
Posts: 121
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:59 pm
Contact:

Re: My 2nd round with BRACES...

#10 Postby sneed1o1 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:28 pm

Here's a photo from my last appointment (November 28, 2016). The orthodontist put me in the standard class III elastics, added a top powerchain from canine to canine, and increased the bottom wire size. I am supposed to wear the right elastic for 24 hours, and the left one for 12 hours to align my bite (as you can see the misalignment in the previous post). I'm not sure what could make me wear these braces for a full 10 months (to June 2017), I'm pretty certain I'll have these off way before then.

braces4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lovespain5
Posts: 310
Joined: Fri May 27, 2016 3:07 pm

Re: My 2nd round with BRACES...

#11 Postby Lovespain5 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:33 am

sneed1o1 wrote:Here's a photo from my last appointment (November 28, 2016). The orthodontist put me in the standard class III elastics, added a top powerchain from canine to canine, and increased the bottom wire size. I am supposed to wear the right elastic for 24 hours, and the left one for 12 hours to align my bite (as you can see the misalignment in the previous post). I'm not sure what could make me wear these braces for a full 10 months (to June 2017), I'm pretty certain I'll have these off way before then.

braces4.jpg


The result looks very nice. Class III elastics work very well.
:?:-#):mrgreen:

User avatar
sneed1o1
Posts: 121
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:59 pm
Contact:

Re: My 2nd round with BRACES...

#12 Postby sneed1o1 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:47 pm

Lovespain5 wrote:
sneed1o1 wrote:Here's a photo from my last appointment (November 28, 2016). The orthodontist put me in the standard class III elastics, added a top powerchain from canine to canine, and increased the bottom wire size. I am supposed to wear the right elastic for 24 hours, and the left one for 12 hours to align my bite (as you can see the misalignment in the previous post). I'm not sure what could make me wear these braces for a full 10 months (to June 2017), I'm pretty certain I'll have these off way before then.

braces4.jpg


The result looks very nice. Class III elastics work very well.



Thank you! For some reason, my incisors have been getting sore on and off. I don't remember the soreness fluctuating like this my first time around. Did you experience this? Usually, after an appointment, my teeth are sore for a few days, and then they won't be sore until the next adjustment. My teeth were fine after that first week, and yesterday they were sore again!

Lovespain5
Posts: 310
Joined: Fri May 27, 2016 3:07 pm

Re: My 2nd round with BRACES...

#13 Postby Lovespain5 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:13 am

sneed1o1 wrote:
Lovespain5 wrote:
sneed1o1 wrote:Here's a photo from my last appointment (November 28, 2016). The orthodontist put me in the standard class III elastics, added a top powerchain from canine to canine, and increased the bottom wire size. I am supposed to wear the right elastic for 24 hours, and the left one for 12 hours to align my bite (as you can see the misalignment in the previous post). I'm not sure what could make me wear these braces for a full 10 months (to June 2017), I'm pretty certain I'll have these off way before then.

braces4.jpg


The result looks very nice. Class III elastics work very well.



Thank you! For some reason, my incisors have been getting sore on and off. I don't remember the soreness fluctuating like this my first time around. Did you experience this? Usually, after an appointment, my teeth are sore for a few days, and then they won't be sore until the next adjustment. My teeth were fine after that first week, and yesterday they were sore again!


Yes exactly! I felt pain each time the first days after adjustment and after it disappeared...until I got my elastics! I think if you don't wear your rubber bands for 3 or 4 hours some days (it arrived to me sometimes :oops: ), the day after you feel more pain than before. Hope this is what explains your pain.
:?:-#):mrgreen:

tmazz
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:07 am

Re: My 2nd round with BRACES...

#14 Postby tmazz » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:35 pm

My teeth are quite similar to yours in the first set of photos! I just had metal braces put on the top teeth, and I'm thinking about getting them on the bottom too to correct my bite, but my ortho has quoted me at least 18 months :(

User avatar
sneed1o1
Posts: 121
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:59 pm
Contact:

Re: My 2nd round with BRACES...

#15 Postby sneed1o1 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:14 pm

tingette wrote:My teeth are quite similar to yours in the first set of photos! I just had metal braces put on the top teeth, and I'm thinking about getting them on the bottom too to correct my bite, but my ortho has quoted me at least 18 months :(


It will go by faster than you think! I wish my bite would have been addressed my first time around so I wouldn't have had to go through this again. Better to address it in one round if you can! :D


Return to “Our Braces Stories”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests