Braces Journey at age 27!!

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

angelac19

Braces Journey at age 27!!

#1 Post by angelac19 »

This first blog will recap my first few adjustments. Sorry I was late on deciding on writing my story on arch wired. I hope you enjoy!!

Here is a picture of me before I got braces. Like many of my friends and family, you may be thinking "why?? you have prefect teeth!" Well besides doing this for myself and not for anyone else... I do have crowding on my bottom teeth that have gotten worse over time, and of course I don't smile with those. I also have one side of my smile that looks better than the other - as you can see in the picture I angle my face to my better side. ;)

My ortho said I would need to have braces on 18-24 months...I was a candidate for invisialign but decided to go with the traditional metal braces because it was cheaper, would produce a better result faster! Makes sense right? I know some people are worried about what others think but from my experience it really gave me confidence and helped me feel more comfortable in my own skin. My ortho also said i would probably need 4 premolars extracted down the road but would see how things progressed first without extracting first.

January 7th, 2016
The day has come. Braces are ON! I was nervous, excited, anxious.. everything a normal person would feel before embarking on a 18-24month journey of having a mouth of metal. Below you'll see the front few from day 1 - one of the wires wasn't in it's bracket - it was the canine on the right side of the photo. I found out about 1 week after getting them on and I needed to go back to the office to get it fixed and let me tell you ..my teeth were already sore! Which means my teeth were already moving a bit in the first week.You can see my comparison picture between day 1 and my first adjustment!

First day of braces compared to my first adjustment! lots of movement!

After 6 months of braces my ortho and I decided on the the extractions of all of my first premolars (upper and lower). It was a hard decision but i did it on June 9th!! It's been 6 weeks and i just went in for my first powerchain change ..you can see the progress closing my gaps so far.. Please let me know how your braces journey is going! I'd love to hear and stories similar to mine or if you have the same timeline as me!! :lol:

The right side of my mouth

The left side of my mouth

Braced on 1/7/16
Estimated brace removal: 12/31/17
Traditional metal braces top and bottom
4 premolars extracted

If you want to follow my Braces Story on Archwired: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=50533

Check out my Braces Blog (for more details) at: https://angelasjourney.wordpress.com/

Lovespain5

Re: Braces Journey at age 27!!

#2 Post by Lovespain5 »

Hello! How is your treatment now? Do you start with the elastics?
Are you happy with the actual result?
And do you see some improvements in the profile?
:?:-#):mrgreen:

Cyndi2016

#3 Post by Cyndi2016 »

Awesome progress:) I just got my first power chain Friday along with stronger wires top and bottom, I have definitely been feeling it. I haven't had any extractions this time, this is my second round in braces. I had them as a kid and had several then. I don't think I need more but I am in early in my treatment.

Traditional Clear Uppers
Traditional Metal Lowers

angelac19

#4 Post by angelac19 »

Lovespain5 wrote:Hello! How is your treatment now? Do you start with the elastics?
I am happy with the results so far lovespain! I can really tell that my protrusion has been reduced and my teeth are straightening out. :D
Cyndi2016 wrote:Awesome progress:) I just got my first power chain Friday along with stronger wires top and bottom, I have definitely been feeling it. I haven't had any extractions this time, this is my second round in braces. I had them as a kid and had several then. I don't think I need more but I am in early in my treatment.
I love the feeling after an adjustment! It's like you know there's progress happening :) How old are you and how far along in to your treatment are you?

I have had great progress but about a month ago I went in for another adjustment and I pointed out how my bottom teeth are curving upwards so he removed the power chain on my bottom teeth so it could level out a bit, he said when the teeth are pulled back "too fast" sometimes that it can cause this. He said he would book me out 2 months until i would have to come in again so that appointment is coming up soon on 10/24! Here are some update pictures of my extraction gaps! Can't wait until my next appointment!

Braced on 1/7/16
4 premolars extracted

If you want to follow my Braces Story on Archwired: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=50533

Check out my Braces Blog (for more details) at: https://angelasjourney.wordpress.com/

Cyndi2016

#5 Post by Cyndi2016 »

angelac19 wrote:
Lovespain5 wrote:Hello! How is your treatment now? Do you start with the elastics?
I am happy with the results so far lovespain! I can really tell that my protrusion has been reduced and my teeth are straightening out. :D
Cyndi2016 wrote:Awesome progress:) I just got my first power chain Friday along with stronger wires top and bottom, I have definitely been feeling it. I haven't had any extractions this time, this is my second round in braces. I had them as a kid and had several then. I don't think I need more but I am in early in my treatment.
I love the feeling after an adjustment! It's like you know there's progress happening :) How old are you and how far along in to your treatment are you?

I have had great progress but about a month ago I went in for another adjustment and I pointed out how my bottom teeth are curving upwards so he removed the power chain on my bottom teeth so it could level out a bit, he said when the teeth are pulled back "too fast" sometimes that it can cause this. He said he would book me out 2 months until i would have to come in again so that appointment is coming up soon on 10/24! Here are some update pictures of my extraction gaps! Can't wait until my next appointment!

Yeah I am the same. I look forward to the adjustments even though they have been painful afterwards. If their is discomfort then I know something is going on! I'm pretty early in treatment. I've had the top braces for about 9 weeks and the bottoms about 5 so only a couple months in. The end seems so far. I'm 35 had them as a teenager but did not wear a retainer so here I am. Took me awhile before I had the courage to start.

Traditional Clear Uppers
Traditional Metal Lowers

angelac19

#6 Post by angelac19 »

Cyndi2016 wrote: Yeah I am the same. I look forward to the adjustments even though they have been painful afterwards. If their is discomfort then I know something is going on! I'm pretty early in treatment. I've had the top braces for about 9 weeks and the bottoms about 5 so only a couple months in. The end seems so far. I'm 35 had them as a teenager but did not wear a retainer so here I am. Took me awhile before I had the courage to start.
Congrats on getting them again! It's such a hard decision when you're an adult but it seems to be more and more common! I'm going be so diligent about wearing my retainer after all of this :lol:

Braced on 1/7/16
4 premolars extracted

Cyndi2016

#7 Post by Cyndi2016 »

angelac19 wrote:
Cyndi2016 wrote: Yeah I am the same. I look forward to the adjustments even though they have been painful afterwards. If their is discomfort then I know something is going on! I'm pretty early in treatment. I've had the top braces for about 9 weeks and the bottoms about 5 so only a couple months in. The end seems so far. I'm 35 had them as a teenager but did not wear a retainer so here I am. Took me awhile before I had the courage to start.
Congrats on getting them again! It's such a hard decision when you're an adult but it seems to be more and more common! I'm going be so diligent about wearing my retainer after all of this :lol:
Oh my gosh me too cause I certainly don't wanna do this again! I'm looking forward to the end result but the process isn't exactly fun!

Traditional Clear Uppers
Traditional Metal Lowers

angelac19

#8 Post by angelac19 »

It's been 8 months since my last progress pictures so i thought I'd post some updates! Here are how my teeth look now... I have my next adjustment on Monday! I'm thinking these gaps will be closed by the end of summer, it did take a while because they had to remove power chains when they bracketed my last molar in the back a few months ago; they were at a such odd angle that they had to move me down a wire size and wait for them to turn and straighten out. Now that I'm back in Power chains my gaps have been quickly closing :) I'm estimated to be out of braces by the end of the year.

Braced on 1/7/16
4 premolars extracted

Lovespain5

#9 Post by Lovespain5 »

angelac19 wrote:It's been 8 months since my last progress pictures so i thought I'd post some updates! Here are how my teeth look now... I have my next adjustment on Monday! I'm thinking these gaps will be closed by the end of summer, it did take a while because they had to remove power chains when they bracketed my last molar in the back a few months ago; they were at a such odd angle that they had to move me down a wire size and wait for them to turn and straighten out. Now that I'm back in Power chains my gaps have been quickly closing :) I'm estimated to be out of braces by the end of the year.
The lower ones are nearly completly closed, nice progression!
Do you have elastics? You may need to wear some Class II elastics to perfect your occlusion.

angelac19

#10 Post by angelac19 »

Lovespain5 wrote:
angelac19 wrote:It's been 8 months since my last progress pictures so i thought I'd post some updates! Here are how my teeth look now... I have my next adjustment on Monday! I'm thinking these gaps will be closed by the end of summer, it did take a while because they had to remove power chains when they bracketed my last molar in the back a few months ago; they were at a such odd angle that they had to move me down a wire size and wait for them to turn and straighten out. Now that I'm back in Power chains my gaps have been quickly closing :) I'm estimated to be out of braces by the end of the year.
The lower ones are nearly completly closed, nice progression!
Do you have elastics? You may need to wear some Class II elastics to perfect your occlusion.

Thanks! I don't have elastics yet, and I'm assuming I'll have to get them in my next appointment or 2 but my orthodontist hasn't added it to my plan yet.

Braced on 1/7/16
4 premolars extracted

angelac19

#11 Post by angelac19 »

Hello,

Here's a recent update of my progression. My bottom gaps and top right gap is fully closed and TOUCHING! Yesss, you know when you floss and you feel the resistance :) My top left gap is the stubborn one but it's coming along. I'm assuming it'll be fully closed by my next appointment which is on 7/26. Then we can get to detailing and leveling everything out...woohoo!

My date of extractions was almost 12.5 months ago. So I think I can say it will take me about 13-14 months total to fully close my extraction gaps, but keep in mind they took me out of power chains for a couple months because of my bottom teeth curving :( so that added to this time. All in all, I do not regret my decision on extractions. My orthodontist was right, it helped my protrusion SO much, as you can see from my pictures. My smile looks a lot flatter which I like. I have pictures of me from over a year ago and it looked like my teeth were so protruded, I didn't notice it until now.

Coming along nicely, fingers cross to have these babies off before 2018!

Image Image Image

Braced on 1/7/16
4 premolars extracted

Lovespain5

#12 Post by Lovespain5 »

angelac19 wrote:Hello,

Here's a recent update of my progression. My bottom gaps and top right gap is fully closed and TOUCHING! Yesss, you know when you floss and you feel the resistance :) My top left gap is the stubborn one but it's coming along. I'm assuming it'll be fully closed by my next appointment which is on 7/26. Then we can get to detailing and leveling everything out...woohoo!

My date of extractions was almost 12.5 months ago. So I think I can say it will take me about 13-14 months total to fully close my extraction gaps, but keep in mind they took me out of power chains for a couple months because of my bottom teeth curving :( so that added to this time. All in all, I do not regret my decision on extractions. My orthodontist was right, it helped my protrusion SO much, as you can see from my pictures. My smile looks a lot flatter which I like. I have pictures of me from over a year ago and it looked like my teeth were so protruded, I didn't notice it until now.

Coming along nicely, fingers cross to have these babies off before 2018!

Image Image Image
Excellent results. Is your profile straighter than before?

angelac19

#13 Post by angelac19 »

Lovespain5 wrote:
It's SO much straighter! I'm very happy that I decided to go with extractions. My next appointment is next week, excited to see what's next for me. :D

Braced on 1/7/16
4 premolars extracted

Lovespain5

#14 Post by Lovespain5 »

angelac19 wrote:
Lovespain5 wrote:
It's SO much straighter! I'm very happy that I decided to go with extractions. My next appointment is next week, excited to see what's next for me. :D
Nice to learn it. Is your mouth smaller than before and has your face become fuller? I had a treatment with four extractions too. I was debraced one year ago, and I agree it's completly worth it.

angelac19

#15 Post by angelac19 »

Lovespain5 wrote:
angelac19 wrote:
Lovespain5 wrote:
Nice to learn it. Is your mouth smaller than before and has your face become fuller? I had a treatment with four extractions too. I was debraced one year ago, and I agree it's completly worth it.
My mouth doesn't feel smaller, all normal. And my face hasn't changed much either, jut my smile looks for flat/straight. :)

Braced on 1/7/16
4 premolars extracted