36 and braces

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bez

36 and braces

#1 Post by bez »

Hi all,

My short story.. My first visit to an ortho was when I was a kid. He gave me some device that I was supposed to wear at night and whenever possible during the day. I think the purpose of this device was to widen my arch. I could not speak or eat with it in my mouth at all and I absolutely hated it so I stopped wearing it after a few months. I didn't really care much about it back then but by the time I hit my early twenties I was very self conscious about my teeth and it probably shaped my personality in ways that I'm not even aware of. I envied people with straight teeth and hated having my photo taken. Despite all this I kept making excuses not to go see an orthodontist again. So more years went by and here I am, 1 month shy of my 36th birthday, on day 1 with braces. Below are some photos of my teeth taken today.

http://i.imgur.com/O9ZzNk1.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/eU0ln9E.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/FGpLSaY.jpg

Bracesat57

Re: 36 and braces

#2 Post by Bracesat57 »

Congrats on your decision to get braces! You will be amazed at all the changes and improvement in your teeth in the first three months! How long is your sentence?

Braces installed October 2, 2014
Braces removed May 17, 2016

bez

#3 Post by bez »

Thank you. I'm very glad i finally got them. My sentence is 25 months.

Day 3:
Eating is a pain but i'm getting used to it. My front teeth are pretty sore and I can't bite down with them. I'm not taking any pain killers though because it's not too bad. The first day I got braces I went out and bought a waterpik flosser. That thing is amazing!
Also, my upper lip is constantly getting dry when my mouth is open. So I'm keeping my mout closed when I'm not eating or talking..which is a good thing considering that I've been a mouth breather all my life. My lips do not touch at rest though and I'm hoping to see some improvement there as well.

bez

#4 Post by bez »

Ok, talked to my ortho today about my lip incompetence and oral breathing. My lips are almost 1cm apart with bottom half of my upper incisors visible at rest. Also, the lower lip is rolled forward so lower incisors show a little as well. When I force my lips together my chin muscle is strained and my profile looks ridiculous. I was convinced I had a short lower jaw so I asked If jaw surgery could fix this. Ortho said my overbite is dental and not skeletal so he doesn't think jaw surgery is an option. I didn't know weather to feel disappointed or relieved. He said genioplasty of the chin is commonly performed to deal with these type of problems but that it's still too early to say if I'll need one or not because he expects my front teeth to move back a good amount by the end of my treatment. As for the oral breathing he suggested to bring it up with my family doctor in order to find out if there are any obstructions of the nasal airways. If it turns out that there are blockages they can be surgically dealt with.

bez

#5 Post by bez »

My upper and lower molars align pretty well so I understand why my ortho thinks I don't need jaw surgery, but clearly my lower jaw/ chin looks pushed back and I'm not convinced a genioplasty could fix this. Should I consult an oral surgeon? Here are some shots of my profile, relaxed jaw with open mouth, and forced closed lips. Note the concave look of my lower face in the profile shot, forward rolled bottom lip and strained chin when lips are touching.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bracingmyself33

#6 Post by Bracingmyself33 »

Great to know a fellow bracer! I'm at Day 19 and it seems like forever.

Similar to your right hidden canine, except both of mine were hidden!

Can't wait to note any visible changes!

bez

#7 Post by bez »

Yes, I think it would be better if both of mine were hidden too, at least my teeth would be symmetrical. I'm on day 12 and my upper archwire has loosened considerably. It didn't come out of the molar bracket but there's quite some play in it. I called my ortho's office and the "helpdesk" receptionist said not to worry, that it's normal. I hope she's right, cause I don't feel much tension in my upper teeth anymore.

Bracingmyself33

#8 Post by Bracingmyself33 »

[quote="bez"]Yes, I think it would be better if both of mine were hidden too, at least my teeth would be symmetrical. I'm on day 12 and my upper archwire has loosened considerably. It didn't come out of the molar bracket but there's quite some play in it. I called my ortho's office and the "helpdesk" receptionist said not to worry, that it's normal. I hope she's right, cause I don't feel much tension in my upper teeth anymore.[/quote]

I'm not sure if having symmetrical-crooked teeth is any better. :lol:

Don't worry about the archwire because the 1st one is usually flimsy and thin. I supposed the tension will be stronger with thicker wire. :wink:

bez

#9 Post by bez »

Bracingmyself33 wrote: I'm not sure if having symmetrical-crooked teeth is any better. :lol:
Well I don't know, I'm just tired of my half mouth smile, makes me look like a stroke patient :huh:

tillybrace

#10 Post by tillybrace »

we have the same rogue tooth with the one behind your front teeth that is further back compared to the rest of your teeth,
how much is hurting having that one moved forward.

bez

#11 Post by bez »

I'm not even sure if it'll be moved forward since my front teeth are protruding and will all need to be moved back. In any case, it doesn't hurt at all. I've had zero pain except for the first few days after I got the braces.

Sunnygirl807

#12 Post by Sunnygirl807 »

I have that same high canine. Does your lip sticks to that bracket? Also, does your lip protrudes from the ceramics? I start on Tuesday and I'm trying to decide if I want ceramics or not. Thanks in advance.

bez

#13 Post by bez »

In the beginning it was a concern because my lip would get hung on that canine bracket hook every time I smiled but it got better after the first week. I don't see a noticeable difference in lip position with braces on. You'll definitely have a period right after getting the braces when you will feel like your mouth is huge and lips are protruding but it's only for the first few days. I'm happy with my ceramics. Good luck!

Sunnygirl807

#14 Post by Sunnygirl807 »

Thank you. I am so excited and scared at the same time.

Bracingmyself33

#15 Post by Bracingmyself33 »

hello fellow bracer, how are things going for u? :)