Rockin' the Braces Again at 32

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

mattt

Re: Rockin' the Braces Again at 32

#46 Postby mattt » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:02 pm

One of my cousins had a similar case, where she had an open bite and an overjet and the ortho did everything he could to intrude and move the molars... She wore the elastics religiously and while it helped her with the angling of the
front teeth, the molars weren't really cooperating and moving backwards and up as fast as they were supposed to. She actually got night time headgear in the end and it really sped up the process, everything fell into place in a time span of 2 months and she's really satisfied with her results now. :)
So if you don't mind wearing headgear at night, which surely isn't too bad (loads of kids have to endure it lol), the results will probably be faster than just elastics. Hopefully everything works out, keep up with the updates man! :D
And PS.: you can eat or make out with the elastics, worst thing that can happen is that they snap off, not a big deal :lol:

HummerMan3

#47 Postby HummerMan3 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:31 pm

Just racked up 1 year as an adult in braces! My mouth is still very much a work in progress; I'd argue that the overjet and open bite are more pronounced now than they were a year ago. My orthodontist is also quite flustered. I looked over at the computer during my appointment this week and noticed that my estimated completion date has been pushed back to July 2018; 6 months later than initially forecast!
At my appointment, he did decide to start me on elastics. The arrangement is a box shape, with 1 large rubber band attaching to all my canines. In theory, this should close my open bite. The pain in my teeth over the past 3 days is welcome, as I haven't had much (any!) pain during my time in braces, and at least I know my teeth are moving. However, due to the flaring of my upper incisors, the elastic rests not on the tooth or bracket, but at the base of the upper incisor at the gum line, causing it to dig into the gum and bleed, hurting quite a bit. I called my ortho to see if this was normal, and was given some reassurance, but I'm skeptical they understood what I was describing to them. I'd post a picture, but my camera can't seem to capture a macro photo with any great fidelity, not to mention my teeth are stained as hell since it's been a few months since my last dentist visit. I'll work on getting a pic posted after my dental cleaning next month.
Alas, I still have the TPA hanging out on my palate, even though it's not needed since the TADs aren't attached. I have been assured that it will definitely come out at next visit. It's not really a nuisance, but with painful elastics in my mouth now and the possibility of headgear in the future, I want it out as kind of a moral victory.
The oral surgeon was booked solid this summer with wisdom teeth extractions, but I finally have a date set for my TADs to come out: September 8, under conscious sedation. It felt a little silly to get sedation for the placing of the TADs, and it seems completely ridiculous to get knocked out just to have them unscrewed from my skull. But the oral surgeon insisted, and it's at no additional cost to me, so who am I to argue?

I feel as though I've rambled long enough for one post, so I'll keep the next one short & sweet with more in the way of pics. Any thoughts or advice on any of the above is greatly appreciated, as always!
My braces story: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=50157

[/url]

HummerMan3

#48 Postby HummerMan3 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:45 am

As promised, here are some (blurry) pictures of my progress just after a cleaning. Getting the TADS out this Friday and TPA out next week!

My braces story: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=50157

[/url]

mattt

#49 Postby mattt » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:52 am

So how did everything turn out? Was the removal of TADs and TPA successful?

Return to “Our Braces Stories”