Every cloud....by Montch

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Montch8

Every cloud....by Montch

#1 Post by Montch8 »

I've also just had braces fitted, at the age of 54yrs. My sister, by pure coincidence, commenced treatment 3 weeks before me. I didn't really want to know too much about it before I took the plunge, about which I'm retrospectively glad. However, now that my treatment is underway, I'm more interested in sharing information and hope that sharing my experience helps someone else.

As a teenager I had 2 top tooth extractions and 1 lower due to overcrowding, followed by 2 sets of removable braces. I was recently asked by my orthodontist how did I feel about my teeth at the end of this treatment? I replied that I probably felt no different to anyone else at that point - nobody's teeth were particularly perfect, even after orthodontic treatment - and no retainers were given to wear afterwards, as that wasn't the practice when I was a teen. So I felt normal, in the context of my contemporaries.

Over the years, my teeth have gradually reverted to their old positions and it is only in my situation of working with mainly younger people (with apparently perfect teeth!) that in recent years I've become far more aware of my own teeth and gradually, more conscious of my smile. My own two children have also gone/are going through the process, so I've become aware of the improved treatment and aftercare available. I kept seeing old photos of me, with far better teeth than I now have - and on talking to my husband about how I'd love to have my teeth done again, he said that if it really bothered me, then I should.

So, I took the plunge a week ago, choosing the most economical of the options I was given - metal top and bottom fixed train tracks. These are expected to be in place for approximately 18 months. Additionally, my older son recommended having fixed braces because, he said, you can't dip out and keep removing them when they feel uncomfortable, so it's over and done with much quicker! The Invisalign retainers had looked like quite an attractive option before this comment...

THE PROCESS
The actual fitting was painless, but I found it uncomfortable. I had an x-Ray taken first. The fitting itself took about an hour, mostly with a pliable plastic mouth-piece in place which holds your mouth wide open (I'm certain I must have looked like Wallace, Gromit's owner) while they glue the fixings to the teeth and then clip the wire in place.

I was wanting to swallow, which was difficult as there were times they didn't want me to move my tongue as it pushes the saliva up & over the teeth they're trying to glue. Having sensitive teeth didn't help, when they wash your mouth with cold water (ow!). When the brackets had been fitted, they used a drill (tooth suitable!) to remove any excess bits of glue. I didn't like this - I've had no filliings so I've never experienced a drill in my mouth before - and I found it quite overwhelming and loud. I REALLY wanted it to stop.

Once the wires are clipped into the brackets the teeth start to feel tight. By the time the fitting is over, your teeth feel very taut and the metalwork in your mouth feels a little alien.

They showed me how to care for my teeth and asked me to book the next appointment for 8 week's time. I was told to eat soft food only for a week and how to use the wax they supplied, to help with rubbiing. The orthodontist said to me that my worst day would be Saturday (the fitting being on a Thursday afternoon) and to take painkillers.

THE NEXT FEW DAYS
Apart from the tension in my teeth and the fact that I felt I was carrying a large amount of my son's Meccano set in my mouth (yes, that is an exaggeration! ;) ) I really didn't feel too bad over the next couple of days, though I did feel a bit sick. I think that was to do with the drilling, though.

By Saturday I remembered the orthoodontist' s prediction. I remember thinking in the morning, he's got this all wrong. I felt not too bad, even though the teeth felt pretty odd, and my mouth didn't feel sore. By the afternoon, however, I started to feel a burning sensation inside my mouth, where the metal was rubbing - and my teeth really started aching badly. If this happens to you, take plenty of paracetomol. You may know also that you can overlap taking Ibuprofen with paracetamol, to prolong the time you are protected. I made good use of the wax supplied, and have been washing the wax in a tea strainer, drying in kitchen towel and re-using it. Having wax in makes it more difficult to talk, but gives your mouth a much needed rest particularly at night, when you naturally make less saliva.

SO, THE FIRST WEEK
Saturday at four was not my finest hour. I'm very glad that the worst day (2 days after fitting) fell at the weekend, however I can honestly say that the worst day continued until Wednesday, six days in. I had a dream on Tuesday night that my teeth had stopped hurting. Then I woke up and... my teeth had stopped hurting! At least, it wasn't the relentless throbbing and soreness that characterised my first week. It was a definite turning of the corner. It has continued to improve, too.

At work, my boss was very understanding and I was able to do jobs with as little people contact as possible, bless her. People generally have been very interested and supportive, sympathetic and encouraging.

What helped was knowing that IT WILL GET BETTER - stick with it. Also, having food I could eat - porridge for breakfast, with mashed banana; soup for lunch, then liquidising my tea: casseroles, fish, vegetables, mashed potato. I even liquidised a Sainsbury low-calorie sweet chilli chicken dish last night and it was very ediible! Finally, after being on a 5:2 diet and yoyo-ing for ages, I've managed to lose 6lbs in one week!! Every cloud....

Montch8

Re: Every cloud....by Montch

#2 Post by Montch8 »

I posted the above story in the Bracket club section, but it seemed to make more sense to post it here, then I can add updates as time trips on...