My journey to a better smile

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Wintersong

My journey to a better smile

#1 Post by Wintersong »

I had braces when I was about 11 or 12 years old and was told that I would need surgery to correct my bite. My parents ended up getting a divorce so the surgery did not happen and I eventually ended up pulling the brackets off with a pair of pliers in the drama storm that ensued. That sounds horrifying but there was no other way those things were getting off my teeth during that time period. The wires had fallen out and I was left with just the brackets cemented to my teeth. It was very uncomfortable.

Fast forward in time and now I'm 43 years old and have been living with this awkward deep bite for way too long. I consulted an orthodontist in my area to see if it was even a possibility that I could get this fixed. She was very nice and knowledgable and I could work the money into my budget so I went ahead and set up a date to have my braces put on.

She said I have a class II tendency occlusion and a small retrusive mandible and that she could correct it to a point but that surgery along with braces would give the best results. I would need have to have surgery on my lower jaw in order to bring it forward as braces could only do so much. I'm mostly of the mind that if I'm going to do this, I'm going to do it right and get the surgery but the surgery scares me a little. It is a big step and the fear of permanent numbness is intimidating. Still I'm going to go to a consult next month and see what the surgeon has to say.

I had my top braces put on on March 14th and my teeth and gums were pretty sensitive for a few days, then I felt just pressure for a few more days and now I barely feel them at all. My speech is a little slurred and its kind of embarrassing but I'm hoping once I get my bottom brackets put on that it will get a little less noticeable. My lips just seem way out of line with each other at the moment.

On an exciting note, It feels like my front teeth which have always flared out have been pulled back some and my bottom teeth are hitting the back of my upper teeth instead of the gum line like they used to do. If I manage to get through this procedure along with the surgery and it turns out that I can look in the mirror and have a wonderful smile and a nicely functioning bite that doesnt give me headaches and jaw fatigue like it does now, I will seriously cry tears of joy. As it is, I don't like to smile in pictures and usually cover my mouth with my hands when I laugh and it has only gotten worse as I've gotten older. I very much wish I had gotten this in motion years ago but I've started now and thats what really counts I suppose.

Thanks for giving me a place to share my thoughts on this process and I've been reading all your stories applaud everyone's bravery in taking these steps to a better smile no matter what the age. I hope to post pics soon.

dcruzie77

Re: My journey to a better smile

#2 Post by dcruzie77 »

Wow! What a story!

I can't believe you ended up taking the braces off yourself! Did it hurt? What do orthodontists do when their patient removes the braces themselves? I'm so intrigued by this, lol.

I also have a deep bite. I'm hoping that changes with continued treatment and rubber bands. As of right now, I don't need jaw surgery. When I was a teenager, like 21 yrs ago the orthodontist said that was needed.

Looking forward to reading more of your story!

Wintersong

Re: My journey to a better smile

#3 Post by Wintersong »

I don't remember it hurting when I pulled them off. I was very matter of fact about it. I didn't have bands thank goodness. No idea how I would have gotten those off!

A week and a half ago they put spacers between my top molars. The teeth were very tight together so it felt like she was pulling my teeth out and they were so aggravating that I couldn't wait to get them out. Monday I had bands put on and a new wire for my uppers. It is so wierd because in that short amount of time, my teeth are not quite fitting together the way they used to. Everything has shifted slightly and of course its very sore. Unfortunately, the wire is poking my cheek on the left side and by the time I called the ortho they had closed and will be closed until Monday. Oh well, guess I'll be keeping wax on it all weekend.