Braces journey starting 2016-03-17

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

gobraces

Adjustment #4

#31 Post by gobraces »

Today I went for my 4th adjustment. I got a wire upgrade - my upper now has 16 as well. (I got 16 on my lower at the last adjustment.) Today's adjustment was in the afternoon and I am feeling a bit sore at dinner when I chew. Nothing that calls for pills, though. I can really feel some teeth clicking when I bite down. This is usually most obvious right after an adjustment, although some times it happens later at some unexpected time.

The extraction hole on the bottom is almost closed - I remember getting the chain two adjustments ago, so it's been more than two months for the rubber band to work, and they are working great. Nothing is done to the upper extraction hole just yet - my ortho says there still needs to be some rotation on the upper central. No obvious movement there, and my ortho says that for adults he usually sees one or two stubborn teeth that may be reluctant to move. "Well, this may be your stubborn tooth," says he. That's OK.

Come to think of it, it's been five months already and time sure has passed quite fast.

I liked the assistant who worked on me today. She has very gentle hands. There is another assistant who has quite a heavy hand and really hurt me every time she tightens the ligature on me. It does make a difference in my experience at the ortho's office. They are all nice folks, but I strongly prefer to be seen by someone who is just as effective but does not hurt me as badly.

Sunnygirl807

Re: Braces journey starting 2016-03-17

#32 Post by Sunnygirl807 »

Thank you for the updates. I can see a difference. It's amazing how fast teeth move.

gobraces

Photo: day 1 to 5 months

#33 Post by gobraces »

Here are a few photos from day 1 to today (5 months and 3 days):
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by gobraces on Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tree84

#34 Post by Tree84 »

Thanks for the update. As someone getting theirs on soon its good to hear about such progress!

gobraces

#35 Post by gobraces »

Tree84 wrote:Thanks for the update. As someone getting theirs on soon its good to hear about such progress!
Tree84 and Sunnygirl807: thank you for stopping by. Time passes pretty quickly once you get things started. I can definitely tell the difference in my bite, and it changes *all* *the* *time*! Probably the first year will be the time for the most obvious changes, and then things will start slowing down. It's all worth it, I am sure!

tillybrace

#36 Post by tillybrace »

your giving me hope.
me teeth are moving so slowly

gobraces

More photos: arch view

#37 Post by gobraces »

Some more photos showing changes between March and August, 2016. I am liking it.

The red "x"s indicate where an extraction was performed. I had two extractions in Feb 2016 - one upper and one lower, before having the braces put on.

Upper central incisor has some good rotation. Bottom teeth are slowing but surely straightening and getting into upright position. The extraction space on the bottom is almost gone after about 3 months of a short chain pulling. I don't even have room to put an "x" in today's photo showing the bottom arch.

No chain yet to work on the upper extraction space.
arch_view_20160821.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gobraces

adjustment #5 2016-09-20

#38 Post by gobraces »

Sorry - adjustment #5 happened almost a week ago, but I am only updating today.

The teeth continue to move. On the lower, the extraction gap is completely closed, so the chains there have been taken off. In fact, the two teeth rotated slightly - guess that's because the chain (rubber band?) are exerting its force on the outside of the two teeth. With the chain off, hopefully they'll turn themselves straighter. Not a big deal at this time.

With the gap closing and teeth lining up more, I was able to see the back of the right canine on the bottom, and the black area on the back of that tooth. Went to see my dentist the very next day, and he confirmed that the dark area I see is an old filling. Part of the filling actually was lost (I don't know when). So this afternoon I went in to have it fixed.

Upper is doing well - that stubborn front tooth is slowly but surely turning. Ortho said that he usually sees people's upper responding to braces faster, because the bone structure is somewhat different. Nothing is being done to close the extraction hole on the upper yet. He wants to see the front incisor turn a bit more before putting a chain to close the upper gap, which may happen at the next adjustment in four weeks time. He also said I will be switched to .016 stainless steel for the upper next time. (I have 0.016 NiTi on top and bottom now.)

Bite is still subtly but constantly changing. I can't believe it's been 6+ months since I first got my braces. Happy with what has happened so far for sure.

Hope everyone is doing great! Fall is here so take care.

LisainTX

#39 Post by LisainTX »

Hi gobraces!
I haven't been on here in awhile and just now read through your posts. I started my journey in February and in reading your story it matches mine nearly word for word. Hasn't it been fun?
I am going for my next adjustment on Oct 25th. So far, it seem like my bite changes nearly every day. This would have bothered me had I not read here that its pretty normal.
For the first few months I had a "bite block" in the back on each side that prevented me from biting down all the way. It drove me nuts not to be able to chew much. I figured I'd lose weight but then realized a lot of soft things are sweet or carby! LOL Oh well. I still try to eat healthy. Those blocks have worn down but my teeth aren't hitting brackets so its all good.
I've been dealing with bands for the past few weeks and am finally getting used to changing them without losing a half dozen before I finally get them in.
I agree 110% that a waterpic is now my best friend. "Christmas tree" brushes and sonicare are very close to me as well.
Your progress looks awesome. Thanks for all of the pics. I hope to get the time to post my story here soon.
Best wishes and Happy Fall to you too!! :D

PS- a funny. I have one tech that works on me and I adore her. She is a crazy girl. I told her that the next time I come in we need to discuss the holidays because I said I wanted LEDs on my braces. She said, sure....and I'll also install an inflatable Santa that comes out every time you open your mouth too!
I think we try to out-do each other. LOL!!

gobraces

lower arch change last month (photo)

#40 Post by gobraces »

So here's a photo showing what changed on the lower arch over the past month - see where the yellow arrows are pointing to.
braces 20160929.JPG

Blurple

#41 Post by Blurple »

Wow - you've got some really good progress :)

LisainTX

#42 Post by LisainTX »

Woohooo!!!! Look at you go!! Your teeth are rockin' and rollin'. How exciting to see such amazing movement. Congrats!! :rawk:

gobraces

Adjustment #6: 10-26-2016

#43 Post by gobraces »

Blurple / LisainTX, thank you both!

So last Wednesday, October 26, was when I had my adjustment #6. It's been seven months since things got started, and so far things have been going well.

New this time: on the upper, I "graduated" from ni-ti wire to stainless steel. Still 0.016. Ortho explained that stainless should be better at achieving root alignment. Does not feel terribly different. Still 0.016 ni-ti on the bottom.

Teeth were sensitive for a couple of days - had to chew very gently. Not painful, just sensitive. Next appointment will be in another five weeks.

I find myself not as diligent in brushing/flossing/water-piking, etc. as before. Part of the reason is that, as the teeth align better, fewer things get stuck after I eat. (Except for rice, which finds every little nook around the brackets and lodge themselves there!!) Need to do a better job for sure. I've become so efficient at flossing around the brackets it's not even funny.

gobraces

photo: 2016 feb vs nov

#44 Post by gobraces »

gobraces 201611.JPG

gobraces

Adjustment #7 today

#45 Post by gobraces »

2016-11-30: adjustment #7 2016-10-26: adjustment #6 2016-09-21: adjustment #5 2016-08-16: adjustment #4
2016-07-06: adjustment #3 2016-05-26: adjustment #2 2016-04-21: adjustment #1 2016-03-17: braces go on!

Today I went in for adjustment #7. No wire changes. Just re-tie, on some teeth that still have rotating to do. The ortho also took an X-ray and looked at the root movement. He's happy with the progress. The X-ray has prompted him to decide that next time he will replace one of the lower brackets to better align things. Works for me.

Over the past weekend I had some major pain in my upper gum - yet the dentist when I went for cleaning didn't see anything wrong. After the cleaning I had some swelling in that area as well, so today I told my ortho. He looked at it for a long time and also looked at the X-ray several times. No abscess or anything bad. "Did you eat anything hard or hot or anything?" I did try some bread for breakfast - they were pretty hard for me and I have stayed away from them for a long time. Of course I wasn't going to tell him that I had a whole big box of Ferrero chocolates - all those nut pieces did not help I am sure. Well I only had pain for two days, for which I took Motrin. Now there is only slight swelling and no pain at all. "As long as it is getting better..." said my ortho.

Guess I'll stay away from Ferrero chocolates for a while. I did outdo myself there - they were just too good.