Braces, round two

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

kip

Re: Braces, round two

#31 Post by kip »

Hello fellow bracers! I hope you're all well and your teeth are moving quickly! :D

I had my 2nd adjustment yesterday, there was a 10 week gap since by 1st so I was eagerly awaiting the day to see how things were moving along.
My ortho seemed very pleased with my progress so far. My upper arch is now completely straight and my bottom is nearly there, apart from my lost tooth that was left behind. Yesterday he changed my upper wire to 18x25 but didn't change the bottom wire.
He was pleased with the space my open spring had made for lost tooth and decided we'd start moving him forward. I had a bit of IPR on my bottom teeth to make a little bit more room. I didn't find it painful or really uncomfortable to be honest. The thing I found the worst about the experience was the thought that if I breathed in while he was doing it, I'd breathe in little bits of tooth :lol:
He then attached a wire behind my main wire, to the lost tooth and put a closed spring across the gap to keep everything open.

WOW, yesterday was probably the worst day of having braces so far. I felt like my bottom teeth were being ripped out with pliers all day and night. I've woken up this morning feeling pretty much the same to be honest. I've taken as much over the counter painkillers as I can and it's still hurting!
I realised why last night when I ran my tongue over the back of my teeth and realised that lost tooth had shifted already!
I've uploaded a picture below, the top picture is from 9am yesterday, before I went to the ortho and the bottom picture is 12 hours later.
Now I'm just worried lost tooth will move so quickly that he'll bump into the spring infront of him. I'm going to keep a close eye and will be on the phone to my ortho if this looks likely.

I also asked about my progress and if/when it would be likely that I would need my premolar extracted. He said it's something we'll talk about and decide together when my bottom arch is straight. Having it extracted will mean I have no premolars on my upper right arch (I had 4 premolars extracted when I was a teenager) so things will be a bit off if we decide to do this. He said, for obvious reasons he would like to not extract a healthy tooth, but it will mean my midline is permanently a mm or so off to the right if we decide not to.
I'll be weighing the pros and cons up over the next few months but currently I'd rather not have the tooth extracted if my bite can be lined up OK and my teeth are straight.

kip

#32 Post by kip »

I'm springless!! Wooohooo!

I went back to the ortho on Wednesday as my tooth had moved SO fast, it was touching the spring and causing me alot of discomfort and pain. He seemed very impressed that it had moved so quickly so decided to remove the spring to let the lost tooth move into the gap created for him. He also changed the wire to a thinner one to get him moving quickly. Well little lost tooth is pretty much there already, I'm back at the ortho in 5 weeks and I definitely think he'll be in the gap by then, which means we can start on fixing my bite! Can't wait.

It was great timing too as I had a curry on Monday and had my first onion bahji since being braced and I ended up with fabulous green ligatures! So he changed them for me while I was there :lol:

My bottom arch feels super weird now with no spring, my lip sits more flush with my teeth and it feels bizarre!

pat0231

#33 Post by pat0231 »

Lucky you! I can hardly wait for my spring to be gone. My tooth still has a long way before it is it it's right place. I will probably need at least one more spring exchange before it finally happens. Things are moving so fast for you.

kip

#34 Post by kip »

pat0231 wrote:Lucky you! I can hardly wait for my spring to be gone. My tooth still has a long way before it is it it's right place. I will probably need at least one more spring exchange before it finally happens. Things are moving so fast for you.
You'll get there Pat! Your spring will be gone before you know it.

I'm amazed at how quickly everything is moving, I put it down to my teeth never ever having been settled in one position. I spend 24 years sucking my thumb, with 3 years of braces thrown in there so they've constantly been on the move!

Lost tooth is nearly in the gap, another 2 or 3 weeks and he'll be in position I reckon. Still causing a lot of pain though, it's a very sharp and strong pain so I'm struggling with it now.

kip

#35 Post by kip »

A minor update, I just measured my overjet and it's gone from 8mm to 4mm :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: I'm so pleased! I knew it had reduced alot but I didn't realise by half!! Incredibly pleased with my progress!

My bottom teeth are now completely straight but I have a gap still. My lost tooth partly moved into the gap created by springs and IPR but not fully. All my other front teeth have moved forward a bit to give him room, which may have contributed to the reduction in overjet....but oh well!

Back at the ortho next Wednesday so will post a more thorough update and some pictures then :)

pat0231

#36 Post by pat0231 »

I just had an adjustment today and my spring is gone! I would have been happy to hear I was getting power chains too but no such luck. He said not for 8 more weeks! Still working on my left fang tooth moving down some more. I never really noticed it was up until it was mentioned.

pat0231

#37 Post by pat0231 »

The way my braces are hurting I wouldn't be surprised if all my teeth were in place by tomorrow! :lol:

kip

#38 Post by kip »

That's great news Pat! I'm so pleased for you :D I hope your teeth are hurting for too long although to get everything in place makes it feel worth it afterwards!

I had my appointment today, just a wire change. Next appointment in 6 weeks we'll be deciding whether to extract my premolar though. If I don't, I'm nearly done with treatment as although I still have a 4-5mm overjet, my teeth are straight and elastics wouldn't help as there's no room to move anything into.

I'll be spending the next 6 weeks thinking long and hard what to do!

sneed1o1

#39 Post by sneed1o1 »

Did they place the top and bottom brackets on the same day? My first orthodontist did them in two different appointments (which was a pain). I just wanted to know if it's a common thing to get both placed in one appointment now.

Cyndi2016

#40 Post by Cyndi2016 »

I got my top braces a couple weeks ago and I'm scheduled to get the bottom ones in about 3 weeks. The assistant said that's how they do it, just the top at first. I really don't know why.

sneed1o1

#41 Post by sneed1o1 »

Cyndi2016 wrote:I got my top braces a couple weeks ago and I'm scheduled to get the bottom ones in about 3 weeks. The assistant said that's how they do it, just the top at first. I really don't know why.
How long was your appointment? The assistant told me to expect to be there at least 2 hours. Hopefully this means there is a possibility of getting both placed on the same day.

kip

#42 Post by kip »

sneed1o1 wrote:Did they place the top and bottom brackets on the same day? My first orthodontist did them in two different appointments (which was a pain). I just wanted to know if it's a common thing to get both placed in one appointment now.
I had both my top and bottom braces placed on the same day. From what I gather (reading on this message board!) it seems pretty person specific as to whether they do or not, depending on treatment needs

I'm UK based so it might be different in the US too, as my treatment is carried out by my ortho himself and not a technician. I was probably only there for 30-40 minutes while they were fitted.

Hope everything goes OK, good luck with your journey

kip

#43 Post by kip »

Adjustment day this morning. I'll take some photos this week and post to show my progress!

We were supposed to be discussing having my pre molar extracted today but he's decided to have a go with elastics before taking the tooth out so we will discuss extraction at my next appointment in 6 weeks.

I've now got a class 2 triangle on my right side (to see if this works instead of extracting), that I have to wear all the time and a box elastic on my left that I only have to wear at night. Wow, I'm not looking forward to tonight as my teeth hurt SO much after wearing it for 30 minutes in the ortho's office!

I've also had a power chain put on my lower teeth as my stubborn gap at the front hasn't closed. It hasn't been too painful so far but I'm a bit nervous as I've read bad things about power chains! I love the fact that it's clear though, which makes it so subtle, you wouldn't even know it's there! He also put these little metal chain things around two of my front lower teeth and I'm unsure what they are/what they do!

All in all, things are progressing well, can't believe I've been braced for 7 months already, it really is flying by.

cinndiid

#44 Post by cinndiid »

Wow amazing how fast it mooved!

pat0231

#45 Post by pat0231 »

Any updated photos? It seems like I am at a standstill. These 8 months have gone by so slowly.