Braces, round two

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

oldfart

Re: Braces, round two

#16 Post by oldfart »

Type up a list of questions and email them in before your appt. I found out a lot of times the orthos are rushed between appts and don't have time for questions. If they know what the questions are in advance they (or an asst) can have the answers prepared for you when you come in.
Braces on: 2/25/2013. Braces Off: 12/23/2015
Current Retainers: Hawley Top, Essix Bottom, and Permanent Lingual Bottom

NeilH

#17 Post by NeilH »

I quite agree, it's well worth thinking about some questions in advance and typing them up for raising at your appointment or emailing in advance. It can take some time to establish a relationship with ortho staff particularly if they are constantly busy so give it some time and make sure you get your questions answered to your satisfaction.

kip

#18 Post by kip »

It was my brace 1 month anniversary on Wednesday! Everything seems to be going well so far, I've got another 2 and a half weeks before my first appointment with my ortho.

I've noticed a lot of movement on my lower teeth, they seem to be straightening up really nicely. There are some pictures below and I have a question I hope someone can answer. I have a tooth on my lower arch that isn't bracketed yet as it's too far behind all the others. The other teeth have moved forward even more since being braced so I was wondering if anyone knew how he would pull my left behind tooth forward? It seems such a long way behind the rest now that I don't understand how it could be braced!

I haven't noticed a lot of change with my upper arch, apart from everything moving forward! I had a huge overjet before hand and it's definitely moved even further forward as I now spend all my time with my mouth hanging open as I can't shut it!! Just got to watch out for the drooling...

I've experienced a lot of clicking with my teeth, which I've read it a good sign as they're loosening up and on the move. It seems to be a different tooth every day and it entertains me to try and find out which one!

All in all I'm actually really enjoying my braces so far. Not being able to eat everything I want to and at the speed I'm used to is frustrating but I'm really enjoying seeing the progress and I'm just so excited to see the end result.

nicolie825

#19 Post by nicolie825 »

I had a rogue tooth that was wayyy behind my other teeth and it was bracketed and attached to my archwire since day one. I'm no ortho, but it looks like you have a spring to make room for that tooth so that there's enough room for it to move forward when it's connected to your archwire. My guess is that once there's enough room, it'll either be directly connected to the archwire or the bracket will be tied to a wire that will be tied to the archwire until the bracket can be directly connected to your archwire. If you look at my before pictures, you'll see that it's definitely possible to connect a tooth that's far behind the others so you have nothing to worry about :)

nicolie825

#20 Post by nicolie825 »

josephdiaz25 wrote:Get the permanent retainers for both top and bottom and you will never have to get braces again, but get the solid tabbed wire thats made in a lab not the braided wire, the wire made in a lab requires they make a final mold of your teeth, its a stronger wire as well.
Not all orthos offer permanent retainers. And if they do, many won't put them on the upper teeth (my ortho only does permanent retainers for lower teeth). A lot of people just don't have the clearance to allow for an upper permanent retainer and their bottom teeth would constantly hit against it

kip

#21 Post by kip »

nicolie825 wrote:I had a rogue tooth that was wayyy behind my other teeth and it was bracketed and attached to my archwire since day one. I'm no ortho, but it looks like you have a spring to make room for that tooth so that there's enough room for it to move forward when it's connected to your archwire. My guess is that once there's enough room, it'll either be directly connected to the archwire or the bracket will be tied to a wire that will be tied to the archwire until the bracket can be directly connected to your archwire. If you look at my before pictures, you'll see that it's definitely possible to connect a tooth that's far behind the others so you have nothing to worry about :)
Thanks Nicolie, your progress is amazing! I can't wait to see changes like yours.

I haven't discussed a permanent retainer with my ortho, he has only recommended Essix retainers so far. The reason for my second round of braces is because I sucked my thumb however, not just natural movement/not wearing my retainers.

kip

#22 Post by kip »

I went for lunch with my girlfriends this weekend and the first thing one said to me was that my teeth looked straighter already! It's the first time anyone's said that and it made me feel great :D I've noticed some real changes the last few weeks, my teeth have nearly completely uncrowded and although my overjet is more pronounced because of this, I don't even mind because they look better for not being uncrowded!

I still feel pressure on my teeth daily, which I've read tends to dissipate the farther from a wire change you are but hasn't for me. I'm nearly 7 weeks in and due for my first appointment with my ortho this week. I'm fine with constantly feeling my braces pulling though as I guess it means they're just hard at work!

Only negative point is that I think I need to bite the bullet and get a root canal done ASAP :( luckily it's on a molar at the back that isn't braced yet so it shouldn't affect my brace treatment but I'm not looking forward to it all the same! Brace pain + extreme nerve pain at the same time has not been pleasant!

kip

#23 Post by kip »

Just had my first appointment since being braced and it seems to be going well! My ortho seemed super impressed with my progress and remarked it my teeth were moving well. He asked the technician to show him the pictures of my teeth when I started and said they looked great now in comparison.
He changed my top wire to a square wire (18x18? not sure what this means but I heard him say it) but didn't change my bottom wire yet. He put a coil spring on my bottom teeth to make room for my poor little lost tooth that's been left behind.

I'm really, really pleased with my progress so far, seeing such a big change in my teeth so far is making the whole process quite pleasant (apart from the constant aching and not being able to eat everything I want!).

gobraces

#24 Post by gobraces »

Wow, sounds like great progress in less than two months! Congratulations!

pat0231

#25 Post by pat0231 »

I am following your story since we were braced around the same time and seem to have some of the same issues with our teeth. Looking forward to seeing your progress and if I am following suit.

kip

#26 Post by kip »

Thanks Pat! How are you getting on?

It's nearly a month since my first adjustment and things seem to be moving along nicely still. Since having my top wire changed to a square wire I don't feel much movement but I know it's happening as I can see the changes still happening. I was experiencing A LOT of clicking with my teeth with my original wire but I've only really had it once or twice since my wire change. My top arch looks great now though and I'm super please that everything has uncrossed!

My bottom teeth are moving well too. I went from a closed to open coil spring on my lower teeth. The initial spring to maintain the gap and the second to open the gap. I've seen real movement in the gap opening but weirdly it's been completely painless. I was suffering with a lot of day to day aching with the closed spring but the open spring has been oddly pain free. Weird considering the movement that's occurred! The spring does irritate my mouth though and I've found on odd days here and there that I've had to wax the spring (which is quite tricky!), depending on how much I've had to talk that day it seems! I have noticed that my tooth that's been left behind on the bottom (awaiting the spring to make space for him to move forward) is super discoloured and the enamel is shot. I never noticed much before because he was so hidden but I guess being so hidden, he wasn't brushed properly and has paid the price of this. I'm seeing my dentist next week so will be asking for advice on this.

All in all I'm pleased with my progress. I've got another 6 weeks till my next appointment and I'll definitely be asking when I can have my pre molar extracted to get my overjet sorted.

Pictures below are from Day 1 to yesterday of being braced!

pat0231

#27 Post by pat0231 »

Hi Kip
Wow! I see so much progress in your teeth. I have an 8 mm overjet and I have not seen any movement into the spaces where I had my teeth extracted. I also have a closed coil and haven't seen any movement on the tooth trying to come forward. So far I have lost three brackets from 2 different teeth. I have spacers in at the moment so I can have a band put on the one that is a crown which is why the brackets keep coming off.

I have had a lot of pain from the tooth moving with the coil on it, and now with the spacers. I have only had one wire change and I am not going back until May 5th. It constantly feels like my braces are swollen ( I don't know how else to describe it) and makes talking sound so slurred. I have used lots of wax everywhere for pain. I have already lost 7 pounds in less than 3 months. I am not enjoying eating because of the taste and the feeling of trying to chew.

Keep posting! I am a little jealous though :lol:

kip

#28 Post by kip »

pat0231 wrote:Hi Kip
Wow! I see so much progress in your teeth. I have an 8 mm overjet and I have not seen any movement into the spaces where I had my teeth extracted. I also have a closed coil and haven't seen any movement on the tooth trying to come forward. So far I have lost three brackets from 2 different teeth. I have spacers in at the moment so I can have a band put on the one that is a crown which is why the brackets keep coming off.

I have had a lot of pain from the tooth moving with the coil on it, and now with the spacers. I have only had one wire change and I am not going back until May 5th. It constantly feels like my braces are swollen ( I don't know how else to describe it) and makes talking sound so slurred. I have used lots of wax everywhere for pain. I have already lost 7 pounds in less than 3 months. I am not enjoying eating because of the taste and the feeling of trying to chew.

Keep posting! I am a little jealous though :lol:
Our stories sound quite similar Pat, apart from the extractions so far! I'm waiting for my extraction so have that fun to go still!

I haven't noticed any movement with either of my coils on on the tooth that's been left behind yet, just on the teeth surrounding it. Hoping that the gap will be big enough next time and he can do the IPR and get the little guy moving forward to join his friends!! :lol:

Keep using that wax, I've been so fortunate with mine but I don't know if my mouth is still a bit tougher from the first time I had braces on!

I'm not back for my next appointment until the end of May!! Such a long wait. I hope the discomfort settles down for you soon, just focus on what will be an amazing end result!

pat0231

#29 Post by pat0231 »

I had a great day but the pain has returned this evening. I am using lots of wax as well as pain killers tonight.Hopefully that means some movement is going on. The end result seems so far away!

swisscat

#30 Post by swisscat »

Wow so much progress! Very nice, your smile looks much better!