Change in facial features

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Joey79

Change in facial features

#1 Post by Joey79 »

Hi all,

New to the site and hoping to gain some more knowledge on Orthodontics etc.

A bit of a background. When I was 11 or 12 I fracture my jaw. No surgery, I wore sling wrapped under my chin/jaw and over my head.

When I was around 14-15 I wore braces to fix crooked teeth. Apologies for not knowing specific ages.

I am now well in my 30s and have read numerous stories regarding changing of facial features and shapes after braces.

I keep thinking back to my teenage years. I look at photos before braces and after braces. I developed a recessed chin, my nose became bigger and developed a hump.

My parents and sister did not have any of these features. Before the braces my nose looked like my mothers. In the years proceeding the braces my nose got bigger developed the recesses Chin. My face also became narrow.

I realise you do not look exactly like your parents nor do you develop features exactly like theirs. I have to ask though, why was I the only one to have a different facial structure to those of my family?

I am also not saying the changes in my facial structure were caused by the braces but could it be case? We are talking early 90s where treatments were very different. I was a late bloomer as teenager and had a growth spurt around the age 15.

Am I paranoid or could there be some merit in the fact I believe the braces affected my face?

Would be great to hear your thoughts.

Thank you in advance

ItsFreyja

Re: Change in facial features

#2 Post by ItsFreyja »

It's certainly possible, but impossible to say without knowing anything about your braces treatment. It's also possible that your broken jaw healed improperly and affected your growth. But it's probably most likely that your face is the result of normal male pubertal growth variation. Are you considering orthodontic retreatment or a cosmetic procedure?

Joey79

#3 Post by Joey79 »

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

No not considering surgery, that ship has sailed lol.

The front of my bottom teeth are crooked and I may look at doing something about that.

Joey79

#4 Post by Joey79 »

[quote="Joey79"]Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

No not considering surgery, that ship has sailed lol.

The front of my bottom teeth are crooked and I may look at doing something about that.[/quote]

By surgery I meant cosmetic procedures as far as my face goes. I wanted to clarify. I am open to correcting the bottom teeth.

ItsFreyja

#5 Post by ItsFreyja »

It normally doesn't cost anything to get a consultation and quote from a local orthodontist, so I'd say go get one (or more) if you're even thinking about it. Good luck to you! This message board is a great resource for all things braces-related.

Lorion11

#6 Post by Lorion11 »

During my first ortho consultation, the ortho told me my smile would be different (she said better). I'm still not sure what she meant.