Finally fixing my hideous teeth...

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

occamsblazer

Re: Finally fixing my hideous teeth...

#31 Post by occamsblazer »

Thank you guys :)

Had power chains put on (ow!) and now having a huge issue with deciding on whether to have the extractions or not! I wont ramble on here but I've done a big blog post about it here: https://adultbracesjourney.wordpress.co ... 5/week-23/

I'm feeling pretty gloomy about it all to be honest! :(

pat0231

#32 Post by pat0231 »

I love following these blogs knowing I am not the only one going through this.

carrieann

#33 Post by carrieann »

I have a silly newbie question. Now when you first get braces and the wires are all uneven, then they straighten out, do the teeth actually come down from the gums or go up into the gums? I'm wondering how a wire that is higher or lower on each bracket actually straighten out. I'm waiting for mine to straighten and wondering how the teeth move to do this.

Great progress!!!! It makes me excited to get my first wire change.

Class I bite, Crowding, Ant/Post Crossbite Tendency
18-20 months
Damon ceramic upper, metal lower

occamsblazer

#34 Post by occamsblazer »

carrieann wrote:I have a silly newbie question. Now when you first get braces and the wires are all uneven, then they straighten out, do the teeth actually come down from the gums or go up into the gums? I'm wondering how a wire that is higher or lower on each bracket actually straighten out. I'm waiting for mine to straighten and wondering how the teeth move to do this.

Great progress!!!! It makes me excited to get my first wire change.
All my teeth that have straightened out have moved down, I asked my orthodontist whether teeth could go back up as I have one front tooth slightly longer than the other and he said that it apparently doesn't work like that!

Good luck, it's so rewarding to finally see changes! :)

natnat

#35 Post by natnat »

Thanks for sharing your story and your blog too! :)
Question: Is it that you didn't think you needed the extractions before getting the braces on so now you have to wait a long time to get it done?

occamsblazer

#36 Post by occamsblazer »

natnat wrote:Thanks for sharing your story and your blog too! :)
Question: Is it that you didn't think you needed the extractions before getting the braces on so now you have to wait a long time to get it done?
I didn't get a choice in the matter, my ortho just said I'd need the braces on for a while before the extractions and purposely didn't put brackets on those two teeth! :?

occamsblazer

#37 Post by occamsblazer »

*DING DING!*

Braces update! It's been six months since I first got my braces! More importantly, my orthodontist and I have decided that we're going to go ahead with the extractions! I am TERRIFIED! (More so about the actual extraction that the final result at this stage!) As much as I was trying to dissuade myself from having it done, it's really clear that I need some sort of intervention to reduce my overjet, it's certainly become more pronounced since my teeth have straightened out, and it looks pretty awful now :oops: I took some pictures to illustrate just how big the overjet gap is, although the pictures are too large to upload here - you can see them on my latest blogpost: https://adultbracesjourney.wordpress.co ... tractions/

So, I'm nervous, but I'm also excited about the prospect of having a normal looking bite, I'm almost more subconscious about my teeth than I was before :oops:

Will post an update post-extractions! :D Thanks for reading!

Elle2016

#38 Post by Elle2016 »

Recently joined and enjoyed reading your story. Great progress so far!

In respect of the extractions, I've had 5 back when I had braces as a teen and completely understand your nerves!! I have a huge phobia of needles so was petrified :(. The first extraction I was 13 and so scared at the dentist's, I actually went home without doing it!! After a pep talk from my parents, I sucked it up, and it wasn't bad at all. The trick is not to look at the needle, just shut your eyes if you can and hold someone's hand. Maybe ask your dentist if you could listen to music to distract yourself? The actual pulling out bit just feels like a lot of pressure. My dentist was smart, he told me he was just checking my mouth was numb and then yanked the sucker out first try! After that the other 4 were not so daunting and I got to keep all the extracted teeth as a memento lol!

All the best for your extractions and the rest of your journey! xx