Extraction Gap no closed after nearly 2 years?

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

braces111

Extraction Gap no closed after nearly 2 years?

#1 Post by braces111 »

I had 4 of my teeth extracted before I got my braces and 3 of them are now closed I think. But 1 gap still remains. Its big enough to fit the top my pinky finger in. So I dont really think its closed at all, it may have closed up a tiny bit but I cant notice it with a naked eye. 1 more month is left until 2 years are completed and before I got my braces done they said it would take 2 years. The rest of my teeth are fine now but its just the extraction gap problem. I dont know the technical term but theres a green wire type thing fit across the extraction gap between 2 of my teeth. I also have to wear elastic bands from the top tooth near the extraction gap to the bottom tooth diagonally. My orthodontist says it will take 1 more year until I can take my braces of but I dont believe her. After 2 years of full on braces it wont go away in 1 more year if it has barely moved. I dont know what to do. I can try doing it privately like invisalign etc. but I basically will just need it for a couple of teeth and I already have got my teeth extracted so now it seems like a waste especially since its a lot of money. I had my treatment done by NHS btw. Also, my teeth werent that bad to begin with, so it shouldnt take this long imo.
Any advice?

ItsFreyja

Re: Extraction Gap no closed after nearly 2 years?

#2 Post by ItsFreyja »

This sounds really frustrating! Hopefully some of the UK folks here can weigh in. (Part of the problem may be that an NHS orthodontist keeps getting paid by the NHS for as long as you're in treatment, while a private orthodontist has a financial incentive to finish up your treatment once you have paid in full.) Obviously you should have a sit-down with your current ortho (possibly scheduled separately from your regular adjustments) where you explain your concern and ask what can be done to hurry things along, and she explains why it is taking so long. I can understand not wanting to spend money to finish your "free" treatment but it may at least be worth the hundred quid or so to get a second qualified opinion from another orthodontist.

braces111

#3 Post by braces111 »

[quote="ItsFreyja"]This sounds really frustrating! Hopefully some of the UK folks here can weigh in. (Part of the problem may be that an NHS orthodontist keeps getting paid by the NHS for as long as you're in treatment, while a private orthodontist has a financial incentive to finish up your treatment once you have paid in full.) Obviously you should have a sit-down with your current ortho (possibly scheduled separately from your regular adjustments) where you explain your concern and ask what can be done to hurry things along, and she explains why it is taking so long. I can understand not wanting to spend money to finish your "free" treatment but it may at least be worth the hundred quid or so to get a second qualified opinion from another orthodontist.[/quote]

I did that and she just told me it will hopefully close in a year. I told her I dont think the gap is closing at all and she said it is closing but barely. She just told me to wear elastics and it will finish in a year :S. It seems a bit shaky tbh but whenever I bring it up she says the same thing. I tried having a word with the manager about this, but they always make me get an appointment with her and she just tells me to wait a year! Now obviously the manager will take her word for it since shes the orthodontist. I dont know if I can book an appointment with another orthodontist since my original one is the closest to me so NHS might not allow me that. So you're saying I should have a consultation with a private ortho? That would be a good idea but they might just tell me to buy their service even if I might not need it.

ItsFreyja

#4 Post by ItsFreyja »

braces111 wrote:So you're saying I should have a consultation with a private ortho? That would be a good idea but they might just tell me to buy their service even if I might not need it.
Only you can weigh the cost to you (in inconvenience, appearance, etc.) of another year in "free" braces vs. the cash price of paying another ortho to finish your treatment faster. (I agree that the NHS is unlikely to let you get a free second opinion from another NHS ortho, but I imagine it doesn't hurt to ask.) If you're strongly motivated not to wait another year to finish your treatment, it seems like a limited treatment from a private ortho is the alternative to explore.

braces111

#5 Post by braces111 »

[quote="ItsFreyja"][quote="braces111"]So you're saying I should have a consultation with a private ortho? That would be a good idea but they might just tell me to buy their service even if I might not need it.[/quote]
Only you can weigh the cost to you (in inconvenience, appearance, etc.) of another year in "free" braces vs. the cash price of paying another ortho to finish your treatment faster. (I agree that the NHS is unlikely to let you get a free second opinion from another NHS ortho, but I imagine it doesn't hurt to ask.) If you're strongly motivated not to wait another year to finish your treatment, it seems like a limited treatment from a private ortho is the alternative to explore.[/quote]

I dont really mind waiting a year but what if I wait and still it doesnt close? Is my case normal or rare. My teeth werent too bad to begin with and after a year they were all pretty much in line tbh, and now i think they are all in line except the gap. I checked with my mum and I cant really afford the private care unless I really really need it (i.e. the gap isnt going to close at all). Also I asked if I can get a 2nd NHS opinion and they said no cos Im can only be registered to their practice now.

Also can someone from UK help me out with complaining as I dont know who else to complain to!

ItsFreyja

#6 Post by ItsFreyja »

braces111 wrote:Also can someone from UK help me out with complaining as I dont know who else to complain to!
In my opinion, 3 years is a long time to close gaps in a not-very-complicated treatment, if that's what yours has been. I think you are totally right to be frustrated.

If you (with your parent?) have looked the orthodontist in the eye, told her you're unhappy, instructed her to try something different to close the gap, and all you got was a wishy-washy "give it another year," you should be pretty upset. Be honest though, have you really done all that? I often say that a willingness to be confrontational is a superpower -- it is both rare and powerful!

Certainly the NHS has its procedures for escalating a complaint, if you truly have exhausted the direct approach: http://www.nhs.uk/choiceintheNHS/Rights ... aints.aspx Perhaps someone here has had experience with that process?

NeilH

#7 Post by NeilH »

Hi, you said your teeth weren't too bad to begin with but in the UK, the NHS introduced an Index of Theraputic Need (IOTN) a while ago whereby only the most severe cases would be funded. This would suggest that maybe your case isn't as simple as you think and three years may not be unreasonable? I'm sorry to hear your extraction gap is taking a while to close but I'm sure your orthodontist would be happy to discuss what is happening if you ask for a detailed explanation as to your treatment plan. Maybe write the questions down beforehand, that way nothing will get overlooked at your next appointment. I hope you get the answers you are looking for.

braces111

#8 Post by braces111 »

[quote="NeilH"]Hi, you said your teeth weren't too bad to begin with but in the UK, the NHS introduced an Index of Theraputic Need (IOTN) a while ago whereby only the most severe cases would be funded. This would suggest that maybe your case isn't as simple as you think and three years may not be unreasonable? I'm sorry to hear your extraction gap is taking a while to close but I'm sure your orthodontist would be happy to discuss what is happening if you ask for a detailed explanation as to your treatment plan. Maybe write the questions down beforehand, that way nothing will get overlooked at your next appointment. I hope you get the answers you are looking for.[/quote]

Well firstly, everyone under 16 gets free braces, it doesnt have to be severe. Yes, my teeth were out of line initially but it was still good apart from a few teeth (hence the extraction gaps). Now all my teeth are perfectly in line expect the extraction gap which seems like hasnt moved in 2 years. My brother had a severe case and it took him 3 years. They initially told him 3 years because of the severe case so it took 3 years accordingly. But they told me 2 years and now they just added one more year ? :S

As for the orthodontist, my mum tried to make a complaint to the head of the surgery but they gave a personal appointment with my orthodontist instead to discuss it with me and my mum. Both me and my mum tried to explain to her that the gap isnt moving and wont move but she just said it is moving little by little and the gap will close up in a year. Personally, I know the gap hasnt moved by much if it has moved (maybe by 0.01mm?). She was saying how it does take a lot of time for some people but again my case isnt that severe. I really dont know what to do anymore :(

http://postimg.org/image/7ippx6345/1a81501c/

Heres a link to the image of my teeth, so tell me if im overreacting pls.

braces111

#9 Post by braces111 »

[quote="ItsFreyja"][quote="braces111"]Also can someone from UK help me out with complaining as I dont know who else to complain to![/quote]
In my opinion, 3 years is a long time to close gaps in a not-very-complicated treatment, if that's what yours has been. I think you are totally right to be frustrated.

If you (with your parent?) have looked the orthodontist in the eye, told her you're unhappy, instructed her to try something different to close the gap, and all you got was a wishy-washy "give it another year," you should be pretty upset. Be honest though, have you really done all that? I often say that a willingness to be confrontational is a superpower -- it is both rare and powerful!

Certainly the NHS has its procedures for escalating a complaint, if you truly have exhausted the direct approach: http://www.nhs.uk/choiceintheNHS/Rights ... aints.aspx Perhaps someone here has had experience with that process?[/quote]

As for the orthodontist, my mum tried to make a complaint to the head of the surgery but they gave a personal appointment with my orthodontist instead to discuss it with me and my mum. Both me and my mum tried to explain to her that the gap isnt moving and wont move but she just said it is moving little by little and the gap will close up in a year. Personally, I know the gap hasnt moved by much if it has moved (maybe by 0.01mm?). She was saying how it does take a lot of time for some people but again my case isnt that severe. I told her that and she said its not about the severity, some peoples teeth are tough to move sometimes and thus takes longer. I really dont know what to do anymore :(

http://postimg.org/image/7ippx6345/1a81501c/

Heres a link to the image of my teeth, so tell me if im overreacting pls.

ItsFreyja

#10 Post by ItsFreyja »

Your teeth look great! But yes, that's definitely a gap! Since it sounds like you're stuck with this ortho, maybe see if you can get a meeting with her and another ortho in the practice, or her and the head of the practice. It's kind of hard to tell in the picture but I think I see 2 elastic powerchains trying to close the gap. There may be other techniques that are appropriate that another set of qualified eyes might be able to suggest. (More/heavier powerchains, replaced more frequently? Class I elastics? Wire ties? Above my pay grade!)

braces111

#11 Post by braces111 »

[quote="ItsFreyja"]Your teeth look great! But yes, that's definitely a gap! Since it sounds like you're stuck with this ortho, maybe see if you can get a meeting with her and another ortho in the practice, or her and the head of the practice. It's kind of hard to tell in the picture but I think I see 2 elastic powerchains trying to close the gap. There may be other techniques that are appropriate that another set of qualified eyes might be able to suggest. (More/heavier powerchains, replaced more frequently? Class I elastics? Wire ties? Above my pay grade!)[/quote]

OK :P
Thanks for your help. Ill definately go see another ortho ASAP! If it doesnt work out i might need your help again :D

metalliKa

#12 Post by metalliKa »

Thats still a big gap yet to close! After two years? I'd be frustrated too! If your ortho is being elusive about not giving you a full and direct explanation to why that gap is not closing, maybe it's time to seek a second opinion. But bare in mind that if you do seek a second opinion, your current ortho could retaliate and drop you as a patient. Some professionals don't take very kind to having their expertise questioned. And I'm not familiar with NHS, but you might have to consider about financing in guess you do switch ortho. However, I would not debrace until that gap is closed.
Offenses: Skeletal and Dental Class 2 malocclusion
Sentence: 12-15 months
Jailed: 3/24/15
Released: 5/24/16
Life behind brackets: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=48554

13july

#13 Post by 13july »

[quote="metalliKa"]Thats still a big gap yet to close! After two years? I'd be frustrated too! If your ortho is being elusive about not giving you a full and direct explanation to why that gap is not closing, maybe it's time to seek a second opinion. But bare in mind that if you do seek a second opinion, your current ortho could retaliate and drop you as a patient. Some professionals don't take very kind to having their expertise questioned. And I'm not familiar with NHS, but you might have to consider about financing in guess you do switch ortho. However, I would not debrace until that gap is closed.[/quote]

Agree with metallika..Do NOT debrace until the gap is closed.. but take care and dont let your ortho cause your teeth to become retroclined in attempting to close that gap