6 month smile brace fitted today (soon turning 30)

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Lupego

6 month smile brace fitted today (soon turning 30)

#1 Post by Lupego »

So after years of deliberation and turning down braces on many occasions despite absolutely hating my teeth, I have finally done something about it.

The issue with my teeth is that they are all slightly tilted, my central line is off (one of my front teeth is in the middle of my mouth) and I have a tooth that it not in line with the others. From distance it looks ok but today I took some 'before' pics today and it was horrific.

Unfortunately my central line will not be improved but if my teeth are actually vertical and in line, that should be a massive improvement.

My problem is, I have been offered very little guidance by the dentist. Other than a pack of wax strips, I have been offered no advice and have been booked in to adjust wires in a month. I have a few questions:
- food to avoid
- best way to clean them
- how long will they ache for

At present I am at the stage of sore gums and one of my teeth feel very sensitive. I will post updates of my progress. I hope this will be life changing for me.

How do I post photos?

Lupego

Re: 6 month smile brace fitted today (soon turning 30)

#2 Post by Lupego »

I have worked out how to post images as it is clearly pointed out at the top of the forum. My bad. Why do I not have permission to view other users images?

Lupego

#3 Post by Lupego »

http://imageshack.com/a/img538/4376/RTIUOC.jpg

Day 1 (they are terrible, but do look worst from this angle)

ItsFreyja

#4 Post by ItsFreyja »

Welcome and congratulations on starting your braces journey!

After you have made 7-10 posts your username will turn green and you will be able to see other people's pictures. This site is a great resource and the #1 thing I have learned here is: when in doubt, ask your orthodontist!

That said, to answer your questions...

A Google search will turn up lots of lists of foods to avoid, but most of them are targeted to kids/teens; as an adult you will likely be able to eat almost anything without breaking your braces as long as you eat carefully. The only must-avoids for me are chewy/sticky candy and crusty bread. Also, not a breakage issue, but it looks like you have clear O-rings connecting your wires to the brackets. Those are easily stained by coffee, tea, foods containing turmeric/annatto/tomato, and nicotine, so avoid those if you wish to minimize discoloration between adjustments. The clear brackets themselves, and the white wire, do not stain.

There are many braces cleaning devices out there, but swishing with water after meals, brushing (above the brackets, below the brackets, backs of the teeth, biting surfaces) three times a day, and flossing every other day (thread the floss behind the wire so you can get all the way into the gumline) will keep you nice and clean.

Most folks are sore 1-3 days after an adjustment, with intermittent soreness in between. Ibuprofen works great and you should use the dental wax to protect any sores that develop on the insides of your cheeks.

Lupego

#5 Post by Lupego »

Thank you. I had better keep posting then.

Lupego

#6 Post by Lupego »

It's day 2 and I thought I'd share a couple more pics that don't make me feel great about myself. As you can see my central line is miles out. I'm not sure what this will look like once they are actually straight

http://imageshack.com/a/img540/755/b34xUc.jpg
Last edited by Lupego on Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lupego

#7 Post by Lupego »

That is a second option I have been given but I'm told it is far more intrusive. I need 7 post so I can amend my last post

Lupego

#8 Post by Lupego »

My apologies for a few short posts

Lupego

#9 Post by Lupego »

Teeth are in bits this morning

buffon85

#10 Post by buffon85 »

congrats on starting your journey! i think you will have a great smile! :D

bottom premolars extractions: 9th of June 2015
top premolars extractions: 8th of October 2015

30yearoldbraceface

#11 Post by 30yearoldbraceface »

congrats on starting your journey! Itsfreyja explained everything wonderfully! Cant wait to see your progress!

Lupego

#12 Post by Lupego »

Brace came off today! Time for a curry.

Lupego

#13 Post by Lupego »

New smile

http://imageshack.com/a/img923/3695/71D3w2.jpg

Not perfect but given what I started with I am very happy :D

Lupego

#14 Post by Lupego »

Just realised my before pictures no longer work.

See link below. I have also had bottom teeth capped now

http://imageshack.com/a/img922/4117/Tydwg2.jpg

Lupego

#15 Post by Lupego »

Before:

After