Wonky to Wonderful: My Smile Renovation

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

metalliKa

Re: Wonky to Wonderful: My Smile Renovation

#106 Post by metalliKa »

Can't wait for your final reveal! Tick tock! Tick tock!
Offenses: Skeletal and Dental Class 2 malocclusion
Sentence: 12-15 months
Jailed: 3/24/15
Released: 5/24/16
Life behind brackets: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=48554

cdmoses6

#107 Post by cdmoses6 »

SinkFullOfDinner wrote:Fantastic! Looks like they're ready to come off today.
Thanks! And I really wish that were the case! Unfortunately though, I had to go 8 weeks out to schedule my debracing :? I don't really know why. Could be that my ortho was just booked up till then since it will be a long appointment. Either way, I am still very happy to know that they will be coming off next appointment!
metalliKa wrote:Can't wait for your final reveal! Tick tock! Tick tock!
Thanks, me neither!!!!! :-* I'm really hoping the next month flies by!
Braces on March 6th, 2015
Metal Empower self-ligating brackets, upper and lower
Class II, Division II overbite with crowding
Upper 2nd premolars extracted May 1st, 2015
First Powerchain and Class II Manatee Elastics June 15th, 2015
TADs placed July 27th, 2015
Box Manatee Elastics April 1st, 2016
Teeth shaping May 4th, 2016

My Progress: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=48229

cdmoses6

#108 Post by cdmoses6 »

Guess who got to have one bracket off early??? This girl! lol I accidentally popped off the last bracket (my first molar) on the upper left side on Saturday. It was still held on the wire due to the power chain, but I could slide it back and forth. I was able to get an appointment Monday afternoon and my ortho just decided to clip off the bracket/wire and leave it off since I get me braces off so soon. My de-bracing is now less than a week away!! Monday July 25th at 7am, bright and early :-* :dance:

tillybrace

#109 Post by tillybrace »

bet you are counting down the days,hours, min, secounds.

cdmoses6

#110 Post by cdmoses6 »

They're off!!!! :-* I am so excited and couldn't be happier!! I am absolutely thrilled with the result. And I was in and out of the orthos office in 30 minutes!! I apologize though as I'm on my phone and can't do much to resize the photos but here they are! I will post later about the debracing experience and will add some better pictures too. So thrilled!! :rawk: :jump:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cdmoses6

#111 Post by cdmoses6 »

Now that my braces are gone I can post a full face pic!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dougsey

#112 Post by Dougsey »

Amazing results and what a difference from day 1 !!
Click HERE for my journal

metalliKa

#113 Post by metalliKa »

Wow! Beautiful result! And glad your last experience in the chair was a pleasant one! Did you get your retainers right away or wait? And what kind?

:jump: :rawk: :singing: :HugeGrin:
Offenses: Skeletal and Dental Class 2 malocclusion
Sentence: 12-15 months
Jailed: 3/24/15
Released: 5/24/16
Life behind brackets: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=48554

cdmoses6

#114 Post by cdmoses6 »

Dougsey wrote:Amazing results and what a difference from day 1 !!
Thanks!! And agreed! I feel like a new person! :)
metalliKa wrote:Wow! Beautiful result! And glad your last experience in the chair was a pleasant one! Did you get your retainers right away or wait? And what kind?

:jump: :rawk: :singing: :HugeGrin:
Thank you!!! I was definitely pleasantly surprised at how quick I was in and out! I don't have my retainers yet. I will pick them up tomorrow morning at 7am! So I only got 48 hours of no dental appliances for the rest of my life lol I will be getting Essix retainers. My ortho said he had too many people have issues using the Hawley-type retainers so all he does is Essix now. Mine will have a bite plate attached to it as well to keep me from grinding my teeth at night. It will be interesting to see how retainer life is!

thegolfer86

#115 Post by thegolfer86 »

Your smile looks great! Congrats!!
Empower SL: 2 August 2016 to est. Fall 2018

Lorianne

#116 Post by Lorianne »

Beautiful congrats! I'm one week away myself! Can't wait!!

cdmoses6

#117 Post by cdmoses6 »

thegolfer86 wrote:Your smile looks great! Congrats!!
Thank you!!! I am thrilled! How are you getting on?
Lorianne wrote:Beautiful congrats! I'm one week away myself! Can't wait!!
Thanks!! And how exciting for you!! Isn't it almost surreal to finally be this close to finished?! Looking forward to seeing your outcome! :flowerbloom:

DEBRACING APPOINTMENT
I went in, reminded the assistant I wanted some "Hollywood" (filing of the top of my teeth so they are all even and rounded), and after a few minutes my ortho came over. He looked me over and got started with the Hollywood. It was incredibly stinky, almost like burning hair, but it wasn't painful by any means. I did end up with powdered tooth all over my face which was kinda gross. That was the last I saw my ortho that day! He said, Good job, looks great! And off he went! The assistant popped off all my brackets. They came off pretty easy except for one which hurt just a little. Then she used a tool that basically sanded off the glue from my teeth. She was really fast and efficient and didn't need to spend too much time on each tooth. Which was good because there was a blast of cold air coming from the tool and on a few sensitive teeth I had some pain. After that, she used another tool to polish my top teeth. No pain there. She then used this bulky "wand" thing to take a bunch of pictures of my teeth for my retainer. This took a little while, but not too long, and again no pain there! She then took a quick xray, gave me a cup full of candy, and sent me on my way! Back in my car at 7:30am!

RETAINER APPOINTMENT
Went in and first thing they did was take some pictures. First profile, mug shot, then smiling. Then I sat down in the chair and the assistant took some pictures of my teeth and bite like they did at my consultation. My ortho came over and had me pop in my retainers to make sure everything fit good and felt good. Wow, was I a bit shocked when I first tested out my retainers. I was not at all prepared for how the retainers felt! I guess I was expecting them to be softer and more flexible? Well, they aren't. I have two Essix retainers. One is for night wear and has a bite plate so I can't grind my teeth. Man that thing is bulky! (I can post some pictures later) There is absolutely zero chance I will ever be able to talk with that thing in. Thank goodness I have a regular Essix retainer for day time wear! The first day wearing this I was a little overwhelmed. I was lisping really bad :ThumbsDown: and my tongue was constantly probing the edges. I was really spoiled from the 48 hours of no dental appliances! Thankfully today, being only the 2nd day with my retainers, my lisp has already improved significantly! I was worried, as I answer phone calls at work and sing at my church, and didn't know how long the lisp was going to last. I'd already consider myself used to the retainers and can imagine they will only become less and less noticeable as time goes on! :D

thegolfer86

#118 Post by thegolfer86 »

cdmoses6 wrote:
thegolfer86 wrote:Your smile looks great! Congrats!!
Thank you!!! I am thrilled! How are you getting on?
I'm glad to hear that! Did they offer you any alternatives besides the Essix retainer, like a permanent one behind your teeth? I was scheduled for a month ago but my dentist wanted to do a couple fillings first and then I had to leave town on a business trip. But, I'll finally be in the Derby office shortly to get braced, 13 hours away :?
Empower SL: 2 August 2016 to est. Fall 2018

cdmoses6

#119 Post by cdmoses6 »

thegolfer86 wrote: I'm glad to hear that! Did they offer you any alternatives besides the Essix retainer, like a permanent one behind your teeth? I was scheduled for a month ago but my dentist wanted to do a couple fillings first and then I had to leave town on a business trip. But, I'll finally be in the Derby office shortly to get braced, 13 hours away :?
Hey there! No I wasn't offered any other type of retainer. My original treatment plan called for a Hawley retainer, and was something I saw on the screen at every appointment. However, when it got to the end and I asked about it, Trimmell acted like they never do Hawley's. He said they don't work as well for retention, and they always had problems crop up so they stopped offering them. Now that I have my Essix retainers though, I am very happy not to have a Hawley. I feel like the Essix will keep my teeth in place better since they are form fitted completely around the whole arch. AND I love that you can't see them. I am glad not to have a permanent retainer either. From what I hear they are a total P.I.T.A. Difficult to floss around, causes buildup, etc. And CONGRATS on getting started with your braces!!! I know it can be really shocking at first! Hope everything went well for you and excited to hear of your experience!!