Ridingboots - EmBracing the Journey

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Ridingboots

Re: Ridingboots - EmBracing the Journey

#31 Post by Ridingboots »

Last night was sound asleep and then woke up in with toothache pain at 1am am sure it was my teeth moving and mouth ulcer forming so took some nurofen and got the bonjela rub where the ache. The worst thing was half a sleep tried to move tongue and all I found was the blood expander and no room :-+ I am so over it and it has only been two days.

This morning no toothache and hope the day improves

Schedule
Braces Installed 23 Oct 2014
Adjustment - 18 Dec 14, 19 Feb 15, 7 Apr
5 Mar 15 Palate installed
Somewhere in the Future- Double Jaw Surgery

Uptown Girl

#32 Post by Uptown Girl »

I'm sympathising with you. The palate expander does not seem very pleasant. I think I know what you mean when you say you are over it. I feel that way most days and I've only got braces. There are times when I forget I've got them as well and hopefully you will get used to your palate expander and grow to love it ;-)

Ridingboots

#33 Post by Ridingboots »

If I remember correctly uptown Girl you have molar bands which I never had until the expander was installed. I can tell you they are more cumbersome then just brackets so totally get why braces are annoying for you.

I still feel like I am talking funny but no one else thinks I am. Will ask my boss at work today as he will tell me lol. As for eating it is not good but last night managed some mashed potatoes and mince. The worst feeling is everything gets stuck or caught around the expander and my tongue still feels like a foreign object in my mouth. This weekend we had two parties to go to so I refused to eat was not even tempted. Instead I had some soup before I left.

The best news is am losing some weight :P

Schedule

Bracesat57

#34 Post by Bracesat57 »

Hey Ridingboots, hang in there. I won't be getting an expander but just looking at the pictures make me glad my case doesn't call for one. It really looks like it will take time to get use to. Yay for weight loss! What woman doesn't want to loose weight! Ha ha. I am sure your ortho will do a great job and you will be so happy with your new smile!

Braces installed October 2, 2014
Braces removed May 17, 2016

Ridingboots

#35 Post by Ridingboots »

Hi Bracesat57

Would you believe I finally worked out how to eat so am back at my normal weight :ThumbsDown: although I am now eating slower then ever and still cant stand anything caught in the expander it drives me mad

Schedule

Ridingboots

#36 Post by Ridingboots »

Yesterday I had my first Quad Helix expander adjustments in it was installed and my ortho seemed happy enough with the progress. He said that he can see movement except in one tooth and hopefully it will now start playing the game and the even better news is he indicated that it was not going to such a long time in the expander but I dared not asked how long as I don't want to be disappointed if it goes on longer then I thought ... I am not very good at the waiting game.

As for my braces nothing was changed which I half expected would occur since getting the Quad helix in.

Talking and eating with the Quad Helix would still be the hardest thing to do, especially eating as things tend to get tangled around it so I am very careful what I eat in public and now stay well clear of anything that tangles easy and that includes Leafy Green Salad like baby spinach leaves.... or mushroom soup is perfect to get tangled around the quad and nearly impossible to get out so am now staying away from that as well..

My speech has improved but I still notice when tired or have talked a lot I begin to lisp again and this really annoys me but the harder you try not to the more your tongue gets caught on the expander it is a vicious circle. Life with the Expander is not so bad a month in and is very tolerable but more annoying then braces ever will be.

Some Pics taken yesterday

Expander 1st adjustment - 7 Apr 15 Front on.jpg
Expander 1st adjustment - 7 Apr - inside.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Schedule

Ridingboots

#37 Post by Ridingboots »

Comparisons
The things I am noticing the most are:-
No Big Gaps and my front top and bottom top teeth now seem to be more aligned so am very happy with progress so far :HugeGrin:

Before Braces
imagejpg1.jpg

2nd Adjustment
Braces 2nd adjustment.jpg

Yesterday
Expander 1st adjustment - 7 Apr 15 Front on.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Schedule

Ridingboots

#38 Post by Ridingboots »

Just realised that it over 6 months since getting braces on. Happy 6 months to me :BigGrin:

Schedule

Uptown Girl

#39 Post by Uptown Girl »

Yes, the first six months went fast. I am. Still chewing my way around Europe. The bread is the hardest thing to eat. We are going home in two days and my braces have survived. Best of luck with your expander.

Ridingboots

#40 Post by Ridingboots »

I have been little quiet lately as my teeth are frustratingly slow. I have had 2 appointments since my last update and today went in as I broke a bracket off my back tooth and then found out another also needed fixing. So back on track again.

The quad helix (expander) is still in and it is all because of one tooth that refused to move, So much so that my Orthodontist decided to do X-Rays. He found no issues at all and one tooth is just stubborn. At the last appointment orthodontist advised that the tooth has finally decided to join the gang and has moved. The Quad helix is normally used to expand the jaw but for me the Orthodontist is using it to slightly tip teeth outwards.

The quad is still as annoying as ever and I am glad it is glued in or I would probably rip it out :huh: It certainly makes life difficult as my speech is slightly muffled especially when tired or trying to talk quietly. Eating is the worst and I don't know how many times I have found the nearest mirror and with dental floss and tweezers trying to find that annoying bit of food stuck in it. The other side effect is that my mouth is either really dry or over producing saliva and sometimes drooling when I would prefer not to. The only saving grace is the Quad causes no pain.

Secretly the Orthodontist said next appointment it might come out so fingers crossed.

The braces are going well and have a new power chain on canine back to my molar on the right hand side closing the gap. None on left side as the stubborn tooth lives there and a I haver thicker wire on top. To keep life interesting I finally was brave enough to ask for colour bands on bottom. The first time I had pink which you can barely notice and at the moment I have red which I love as is bright but barely anyone notices as hidden on bottom braces.

My next appointment is 11 August hopefully my wish comes true and the Quad helix disappears for ever.

Happy Braces Day :-*

Schedule

newbite

#41 Post by newbite »

Good luck, I hope you can get that expander out soon. From that last picture, your teeth are looking great!
•Braces placed August 14, 2014
•Deband November 11, 2015
•Permanent retainer top and bottom
•Essix retainers top and bottom 16 hr/day for a year and then nightly afterwards.

My story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 51#p455351

Uptown Girl

#42 Post by Uptown Girl »

Let's hope you get rid of that expander next visit. Something to look forward to. I was dreading elastics but they are not so bad. You just have to get on with life and put up with it. Won't it be great to celebrate one year of braces!

Ridingboots

#43 Post by Ridingboots »

It will be great to know I am halfway or less on my journey. I went to my normal dentist today and everything is good with teeth.

How long do you think you have now Uptown girl

Schedule

Ridingboots

#44 Post by Ridingboots »

:?: let's hope tomorrow is the biggest day since getting braces and Quad Helix in. Let's hope the expander gets removed tomorrow cross your fingers for me
:tingrin:

Schedule

NeilH

#45 Post by NeilH »

Ridingboots wrote::?: let's hope tomorrow is the biggest day since getting braces and Quad Helix in. Let's hope the expander gets removed tomorrow cross your fingers for me
:tingrin:
Fingers crossed for you. I imagine it's a bit of a pain but doing a worthwhile job!