Doug's Journey

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Dougsey

Doug's Journey

#1 Post by Dougsey »

Hi Everyone!
Well, here goes! I've decided to get braces with my son and make the trip as a team.
I'm 52 and here's a pic of the disgusting smile I've lived with all these years. What do you think? Pretty bad, huh? This is an anonymous site, right? LOL!

I feel really self-conscious about braces but heck, can they be any worse than the teeth I have now? I'm really counting on all of you for support throughout this journey.
I have a spacers and molds appointment on 8/21 and braced on 9/2. I hope I don't chicken out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Click HERE for my journal

pjade1

Re: Doug's Journey

#2 Post by pjade1 »

Good luck with the braces. I never thought at 52 I would be getting braces either because my teeth aren't that crooked but I got them because of my bad bite. My dentist kept suggesting braces so I finally did. I think it will be worth it in the long run. I am surprised at how many people don't blink an eye that I have them. I think you will be happy when all is said and done.
07/14/14 - 4 spacers put in
07/25/14 - braces top and bottom put in minus 2 molar bands that they couldn't fit
9/11/14 - 2 spacers put in between the bottom back molars
9/19/14 - last 2 bottom molar bands in and all hooked up, new wire, started elastics too
10/14/14 - new square wire change and thick elastics
04/24/17 - braces removed!!! :BigGrin:

lainii

#3 Post by lainii »

Good luck!

dantocanada

#4 Post by dantocanada »

I'm a 40 year old professional consultant, and 60-70% of my job involves speaking. I was incredibly worried at first. The irony is that because I have all ceramic, and they are on the bottom teeth only for now (January I get them on top), nobody even notices them. And if I mention them, the conversation lasts perhaps for 30 seconds, and usually involves a comment about the fact that a lot of adults seem to be getting braces now a days, or they commiserate because they had them at one time. Absolutely nobody cares. It's like someone said on this site, it's like wearing glasses now.

Dougsey

#5 Post by Dougsey »

Thanks pjade, lainii and dan!

Progress update:
Day 6 with spacers. No big deal... I've had some very mild tenderness but mostly feels like junk stuck in my teeth.
I had one of the spacer rubberbands come partially out when I had some Moosetracks icecream on Saturday. I was able to put in back in place using a couple pieces of dental floss to stretch it out.

Dougsey

#6 Post by Dougsey »

Update:
Didn't chicken out and got braced today. I'm so happy to finally get the show on the road! The installation was really pretty easy. The only one glitch was that 3 molar bands went on fine, but the 4th one (bottom arch), which is on a crown... the spacers didn't make enough room for the molar band so spacers went back in on either side of that tooth and we'll try again at next appt. The bottom arch wire is still installed and ortho said it would be working on straightening that bottom arch.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dougsey

#7 Post by Dougsey »

1 month update:
Got the last molar band put on the tooth with the crown on lower arch (the spacers didn't make enough room to install on first appt) and got the lower archwire changed to the next size. No change on the upper archwire... not enough movement so another month with the same wire. I see a lot of change on the lower arch but none on the upper.

Doug

Juicy2003

#8 Post by Juicy2003 »

Great progress already.
1st consultation 9/26/14
Appointment to get braced set for November 6th, 2014 at 4 pm
Sentenced to approximately 12-18 months

TheKT

#9 Post by TheKT »

Good progress Doug! I am 52 also and understand your reservations but am glad I did it. I am 9.5 months in and have a great deal of progress. You will get used to them over time although it never gets "great" - you will always long to have the treatment complete. With that said, it does get easier...

Dougsey

#10 Post by Dougsey »

Hi All, I had my 2nd tune up this past week. New wires top and bottom so this is 2nd top wire and 3rd bottom.

Some good progress on the top over the last month... it's strange how they hardly moved the first month but moved a lot the second. A small black triangle has developed
now that the incisors have straightened out a bit but it's not that noticeable from a distance.

Ortho thinks we can start on closing the extraction gaps next month. That must mean the dreaded rubber bands? You can see I have a bit of an overjet so I think the plan is to pull all 6 front teeth back.

Hope you're all doing well!

Doug

TheProfessor

#11 Post by TheProfessor »

Looking good!
Braces installed on March 25, 2014: Damon clears on top and metal on bottom.
I had braces for 25 months!

tammyd2

#12 Post by tammyd2 »

Wow you've had p,entry of movement! Congrats! Looks good.
Tomorrow I hit the 3 week mark and I have seen quite a bit of movement but when I compare pics, it doesn't look like much has happened which is strange. I can actually feet certain teeth are in different positions.

Good luck on your journey, keep the updates coming :)
30 year old from Cape Town, South Africa.
Read my story: http://myreason2smile.wordpress.com

shredie79

#13 Post by shredie79 »

:lol: wow! I see so much progress! I would love to see these dramatic movements! Very nice!

Dougsey

#14 Post by Dougsey »

Hi my metal mouth friends!

Had my 3rd tune up yesterday. Added a power chain on the top arch, elastics in class 2 configuration, new wires top and bottom and ortho did a
little IPR between the centrals to reduce the black triangle.

So we are now working on pulling the 6 front teeth back to close the extraction gaps shown in the pic above. Definitaly feeling a little tightness today but not painful.

The molar band on the crown I have has loosened up so I'll have to get it re-glued next week. It's slightly uncomfortable because the elastic pulls it up a bit. I
just push it back into position at meal time.

mapleleafman888

#15 Post by mapleleafman888 »

Insanely good progress Doug! I had those class 2's for 9 months, enjoy :D

HA! I love it, a tune up! lol
My story:http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45354
Upper and Lower Damon Braces for 18 months!
I met 46 braceface adults when I had braces myself!