Kiligeorge's Story! Braces for an openbite.

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

kiligeorge

Kiligeorge's Story! Braces for an openbite.

#1 Post by kiligeorge »

Hi everyone!

I posted a newbie thread in the general metal mouth forum a couple of days ago but realized this will be the better place to share my whole progress story.

I am a 28 year old female who is doing braces for the second time. I had an expander and traditional braces when I was in middle school (I think roughly 12-14 years old). I had very very crooked teeth! After wearing the braces I had a permanent retainer glued behind my bottom teeth, and was given a removable retainer (metal band on outer teeth) to wear full time for two years and then transitioned to night only wear. The treatment went well until I was about 19. That year my removable night retainer broke. By this time I wasn't seeing the orthodontist anymore (He retired anyway), and everything had remained in place. I figured that it was fine if I stopped wearing the retainer because it had been 5 years since my braces had come off and my teeth hadn't shifted. BIG MISTAKE!!!! Within a year a very small space opened up on the left side of my mouth. I thought nothing of it at the time. Over the next few years, this space enlarged and expanded.... and by time I was 23 I had an open bite at the front of my mouth. My dentist at the time said I would have to see an orthodontist if I wanted to fix it but that he didn't think it was a big deal. I looked into treatment options but at that time I was graduating from college, traveling, and then moved states for graduate school, and didn't think about it that much.

Fast forward to now. Throughout graduate school the bite issue started to get to me more. I was having a difficult time eating certain foods (lettuce/tomatoes on sandwiches, toppings on pizza) and it was more obvious to me in pictures. I started thinking about pursuing treatment more seriously. I started seeing a new dentist, and she rang the alarm bells. She said that my back teeth were showing a lot of wear, and she recommended that I see an ortho immediately to fix my teeth. She said that the open bite resulted in the use of the back teeth much more (biting, chewing, grinding), and it could cause serious problems. This freaked me out, and I got consultations.

Jaw surgery was ruled out (no jaw growth issues I was told) which was relieving as I could not afford it. My treatment is a traditional upper and lower braces, 20-24 months, likely using a lot of rubberbands/elastics, and then retainers.
Braced 7/30/14, upper and lower ceramics. Treatment time 20-24 months. Treating an open bite.

kiligeorge

Re: Kiligeorge's Story! Braces for an openbite.

#2 Post by kiligeorge »

Here's some pictures:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Braced 7/30/14, upper and lower ceramics. Treatment time 20-24 months. Treating an open bite.

kiligeorge

#3 Post by kiligeorge »

Here's a few more
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kiligeorge

#4 Post by kiligeorge »

Thankfully my teeth are still mostly straight, so the majority of my treatment can focus on bringing my bite back down. If I could go back in time and smack my 19 year old self for not getting my retainer fixed I would.

The first few days have been difficult. I had a ton of pressure/pain the first night. Brushing felt awful, I couldn't chew at all. It's gotten a little better. I got a water flosser which has been amazing, and brushing is better also. I was able to eat some bread with lunchmeat and cheese on it today with only mild discomfort. My teeth already don't meet the same as they did so my bite feels totally off. I think this is because of the brackets on my back teeth. Also, my open bite seems a bit worse since getting them on!

The back brackets on my upper teeth have hooks on them and they tore up my cheeks on the first day. There's also a little bit of wire poking out the back that is also digging in which has made it worse. I've been putting wax back there and it has helped, but I'm going to see if they can trim off the excess.

I know my real progress wont be seen until I start on rubberbands/elastics so I'm just trying to be patient and get used to the braces. Of course all I want to do is eat a giant burger with super crunchy potato chips. I probably won't have a ton to update anytime soon since I just started but I look forward to sharing my progress over the next couple of years!

Kevinr144

#5 Post by Kevinr144 »

You have beautiful teeth. They're shaped perfectly.

bracesjack

#6 Post by bracesjack »

Thanks for sharing your story. I too have an open bite. I am at 6 months into treatment, the ortho is focusing on straightening the teeth first. I can't wait until my bite starts to close! I look forward to hearing your progress.

kiligeorge

#7 Post by kiligeorge »

Going in for my first adjustment this week and wondering if I will start on elastics. As luck would have it my bottom wire popped out of my back right molar tooth while I was eating dinner. Of course this happens on a Friday night. My husband and I both tried to pop it back in but it wouldn't go, so now the wire is under the back bracket and I have wax over it. Hoping my ortho can move my wednesday appt to monday!

kiligeorge

#8 Post by kiligeorge »

I meant to update a few weeks ago on a different development. I had a consultation with a maxilofacial surgeon. He said he thought my case was borderline for jaw surgery because my open bite is "mild". He thought trying to fix it with elastics or possibly TAD's was the better option, and said if they didn't work I could either just accept my bite or consider surgery. I was just glad he didn't think that surgery was the only way to fix the bite and wasn't pushing it on me. Surgery was never really an option for me because of the cost, and I didn't want a major change to my face. My ortho is also extremely against it.

BeautifulDisaster

#9 Post by BeautifulDisaster »

Your teeth are beautiful. Glad you won't be needing surgery!

27 year old female
Traditional braces: clear uppers, metal lowers
Expected treatment time: 24 months
Brace story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=47574

Anna5

#10 Post by Anna5 »

I also think your teeth are beautiful and I am happy that your ortho/ surgeon think you can get a good result without surgery. I wish you very good luck!

kiligeorge

#11 Post by kiligeorge »

Well had my first adjustment this morning. They trimmed the wire that had popped out and I got my ties changed out, and that was it. Next appointment I am getting spacers and IBR on my bottom teeth. My ortho is hoping to pull my bottom teeth back because they slant outwards, and wants more room to work with. I'm a bit nervous about all this but he said it sounds scarier than it really is. After that I will start on elastics for the bite, but that will be the last phase of treatment. Also my ortho and the surgeon spoke with each other and everyone is on the same page about avoiding surgery.

oldfart

#12 Post by oldfart »

My thought is 20-24 months is pretty long. Everything doesnt seem to be off very much.

Do you think having braces before made it easier or harder mentally to do it again?

of
Braces on: 2/25/2013. Braces Off: 12/23/2015
Current Retainers: Hawley Top, Essix Bottom, and Permanent Lingual Bottom

kiligeorge

#13 Post by kiligeorge »

oldfart wrote:My thought is 20-24 months is pretty long. Everything doesnt seem to be off very much.

Do you think having braces before made it easier or harder mentally to do it again?

of
Yeah I'm hoping I can be done earlier, and they said there's a chance I will be. They said adults tend to finish sooner just because they comply better with wearing elastics and such. While it would be nice to be done early what I care most about is getting my teeth in as good as position as possible and avoiding a future relapse of the bite.

As to your question I think it made it easier in terms of deciding to get them again. I had a much better idea of what to expect. When I had them as a pre-teen my main issue with the braces was just hating how they looked, especially the elastics. I never had much pain with them. So while I knew they'd be uncomfortable at times, I also knew I'd get used to them pretty fast, which I have.

kiligeorge

#14 Post by kiligeorge »

Had my second adjustment today, it was rather painful. I did not have the IPR, that is tentatively scheduled for my next visit. I did get several spacers put in on my bottom teeth. I forgot this was happening today, and was surprised how painful it was to put them in. Having a lot of pressure right now. They are hoping the spacers will stay in a month. I also got a new, heavier wire up on top, and currently have no wire on the bottom. I asked when I would start rubber bands and it seems like it might be a while.

Good news is my bite has already come down some just from the wire, and my ortho seemed happy with my progress so far. I will try to remember to post some pictures later.

cata

#15 Post by cata »

You have beautiful teeth! I would not be surprised if you're finished before 24 months.