The Professor's Story of Braces at 40 (with pics)

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

TheProfessor

Re: The Professor's Story of Braces at 40 (with pics)

#211 Post by TheProfessor »

oldfart wrote:What's your retainer story going to be?
Definitely a fixed retainer and essix on bottom, top still up for debate. I forgot to ask about it today...
Braces installed on March 25, 2014: Damon clears on top and metal on bottom.
I had braces for 25 months!

TheProfessor

#212 Post by TheProfessor »

Bracesat57 wrote:Hang in there Professor. I can understand your disappointment. Soon, very soon!

I am wondering if they just start teasing us at the end of our treatment with talk about debracing before we are really at that point. Just a thought....
I'm over it now--I can see what the problem is and want it to be fixed as good as it can be (my uppers still need to come together with my lowers a little on my left side). I was really hoping to have my braces off by the 3rd week to in March since I'll be going to an important scientific conference with lots of talking to people and eating in front of people. I was really looking forward to not worrying about having food stuck in my braces, but I've put up with it for this long and I'm sure I can survive!

Chippy3000

#213 Post by Chippy3000 »

I've just read your entire story, I am so excited for you!

It has been a journey but it will be so worth it. Your smile is amazing!

Just a little longer hopefully!

:-**

TheProfessor

#214 Post by TheProfessor »

Chippy3000 wrote:I've just read your entire story, I am so excited for you!

It has been a journey but it will be so worth it. Your smile is amazing!

Just a little longer hopefully!

:-**
Thanks for the complement! Im glad that my story is helpful to others. Like everyone else says, my only regret is not getting braces sooner! I'm really happy with my results and ready to get my braces off!

MadSpinner

#215 Post by MadSpinner »

I think it's never too late to reply, as this topic really inspired me.
I was amazed to see how huge the progress was having your braces on.
Though I don't share the same positions of your teeth, I have this student who has the same as yours. One time I accidentally opened to her about her teeth (good thing she wasn't offended). After that, she was telling me that her condition has given her no hopes, for extractions will really be done (and she doesn't want that to happen.)
Now, with this story, I will really show her the pictures you've posted here so that I can give her hope (at least) of fixing her teeth.

Just so amazing. Can't help admiring the improvement there. Thanks to this story.

TheProfessor

#216 Post by TheProfessor »

MadSpinner wrote:I think it's never too late to reply, as this topic really inspired me.
I was amazed to see how huge the progress was having your braces on.
Though I don't share the same positions of your teeth, I have this student who has the same as yours. One time I accidentally opened to her about her teeth (good thing she wasn't offended). After that, she was telling me that her condition has given her no hopes, for extractions will really be done (and she doesn't want that to happen.)
Now, with this story, I will really show her the pictures you've posted here so that I can give her hope (at least) of fixing her teeth.

Just so amazing. Can't help admiring the improvement there. Thanks to this story.
I'm glad my story was helpful. I was very scared that I would need extractions or that the ortho would tell me that nothing could be done. But, I'm so happy that I faced my fears! Braces haven't been as bad as I imagined they would be. Try to encourage your student to at least consult an ortho, I'm sure that her situation can be helped :)

TheProfessor

#217 Post by TheProfessor »

Today is my 2-year braces anniversary! It is an anniversary that I hoped not to celebrate, but I'm pretty sure that I won't see a third anniversary with braces (or at least I hope not!) My bite feels really good, and my left jaw hasn't been clicky or sore for a couple of months, so I think things are where they are supposed to be. I have been wearing my triangle elastics pretty consistently (usually 23+ hours/day) but I don't think that the small gap between my uppers and lowers on the left side has changed that much since my last adjustment a month ago. I always think that people are crazy when they double up on elastics without permission, but I've been seriously thinking about doing it. It could also be that this is as good as it gets, which I would be ok with. My next adjustment is on Wednesday--hopefully I'll be given a debracing date then.

Here are my 2-year pictures:
My smile with elastics in:
Upper and lower incisors will be evened out at the end (you can really see the wear on some of the lowers caused by the crowding)
Nice arches!
still some space between left upper and lower 1st premolars...

TheProfessor

#218 Post by TheProfessor »

I had my 15th and last adjustment this morning!!! The tech removed my wires and the ortho came over and looked around in my mouth for a while. Then he had me bite on a piece of blue paper to check how my teeth were meeting. Everything looked good, so he said that we should schedule the debracing appointments! I will go back in 2 weeks to get the impressions made for my bottom permanent retainer and then my braces will come off at 9am on April 20!!! Today is a happy day!!! :D :D :D

27braces88

#219 Post by 27braces88 »

TheProfessor wrote:I had my 15th and last adjustment this morning!!! The tech removed my wires and the ortho came over and looked around in my mouth for a while. Then he had me bite on a piece of blue paper to check how my teeth were meeting. Everything looked good, so he said that we should schedule the debracing appointments! I will go back in 2 weeks to get the impressions made for my bottom permanent retainer and then my braces will come off at 9am on April 20!!! Today is a happy day!!! :D :D :D

Ahhh I'm so jealous. Congratulations!!

metalliKa

#220 Post by metalliKa »

Woohoo! That's exciting news! 4/20! :smoken: :smoken: :smoken:
Offenses: Skeletal and Dental Class 2 malocclusion
Sentence: 12-15 months
Jailed: 3/24/15
Released: 5/24/16
Life behind brackets: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=48554

littlething

#221 Post by littlething »

Congratulations! Your teeth look AMAZING!!!

TheProfessor

#222 Post by TheProfessor »

Thanks everyone! I know that I will never be recruited to model for toothpaste ads, but I'm really pleased with how much better my mouth looks and feels! Two years went by fast, but it also seemed to drag at times (especially at the beginning and end).

I forgot to mention the retainer plan I got today. I will have a permanent retainer placed on bottom before they remove my braces. After removal, they will take impressions for an upper clear retainer that will be ready a week later. They will let my lowers settle for a few weeks and then I'll get a clear retainer made. Sounds a little weird compared to most people's experiences--hopefully I can trust my ortho to know what is best for me!

cdmoses6

#223 Post by cdmoses6 »

How incredibly exciting!!! :D CONGRATULATIONS!!! :-* :jump: :dance:

I have an adjustment tomorrow and I think I'm gonna pop the question! How much longer?!? lol :) I've only been braced 1 year and 1 month but everything is pretty solid aside from some very minor tweaks that could be made. Regardless of what he says, I think it will be good to know.

Anyway, I hope everything goes well for you and the debracing process isn't too bad! The end result will make it all worth it times a million I'm sure :)
Braces on March 6th, 2015
Metal Empower self-ligating brackets, upper and lower
Class II, Division II overbite with crowding
Upper 2nd premolars extracted May 1st, 2015
First Powerchain and Class II Manatee Elastics June 15th, 2015
TADs placed July 27th, 2015
Box Manatee Elastics April 1st, 2016
Teeth shaping May 4th, 2016

My Progress: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=48229

NeilH

#224 Post by NeilH »

Hi, that's brilliant news, congratulations. Just when you think this is never going to end, they surprise you by announcing all is done and to come back next time for a de-bonding appointment. Your teeth are looking great and I'm pleased to hear your bite is good too. It sounds like you have a good retainer plan, I asked for two sets of Essix retainers and I keep one tucked away as a spare just in case the working set get lost or damaged so maybe it's worth seeing if they can make a second set for you at the same time (it shouldn't cost much). I'm looking forward to hearing about your de-bonding in a few weeks time and seeing the final photos. Enjoy your last weeks with braces!

TheProfessor

#225 Post by TheProfessor »

NeilH wrote:Hi, that's brilliant news, congratulations. Just when you think this is never going to end, they surprise you by announcing all is done and to come back next time for a de-bonding appointment. Your teeth are looking great and I'm pleased to hear your bite is good too. It sounds like you have a good retainer plan, I asked for two sets of Essix retainers and I keep one tucked away as a spare just in case the working set get lost or damaged so maybe it's worth seeing if they can make a second set for you at the same time (it shouldn't cost much). I'm looking forward to hearing about your de-bonding in a few weeks time and seeing the final photos. Enjoy your last weeks with braces!
Thanks, Neil! I went to my appointment telling myself not to be disappointed if my ortho thought I needed more time, but I was really happy when the end was declared! I'm definitely not a person who will miss my braces!!! A second set of retainers is a good idea, especially since I'll be moving to a different state in July or August. I'll post some pictures as soon as my teeth are free! :mrgreen: