Six Month Braces UK - 42 F

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

kribbo

Re: Six Month Braces UK - 42 F

#61 Post by kribbo »

DaisySmith wrote:(Yawn) I don't count anymore. Last appointment eight days ago involved some enthusiastic 'oohing' noises and the announcement we have reached the 'fine tuning' phase. Oh, really? I am due to return next week for another fine tune then to return again in a further two weeks and we SHOULD be finally finished ALL within his initial projected completion time of 8 months. - he keeps reminding me of this smugly, like he's very clever and I should be very grateful. (We'll ignore the countless 'nearly there's' in between times then!)

I won't be holding my breath but bloody hell I am so looking forward to getting these things off. No more ulcers and lisping and picking salad out of them! Straight looking teeth will just be an extra bonus!
Daisy! You're alive! Glad you're nearly there. Are you happy with how they're looking? Do you think it's all been worth it? How's your bite feeling?

My uppers are looking better (except for one tooth which looks worse and has developed a dreaded "black triangle" :shock: ) but my lowers are all over the place. They only started moving a few weeks ago and I'm now nearly 6 months into a (supposed) 9 month sentence. They look and feel so wonky at the moment, worse than before. I reckon I'll be in them for nearer 12 months, but I'm not having them off until I'm happy now, even if he disagrees with me (which I think he probably will...he usually does)!

Glad you're okay anyway, keep us posted with the final results.

DaisySmith

#62 Post by DaisySmith »

Hi Kribbo! So lovely to read your post. Don't worry about the black triangle. I had one of those but it seems to have righted itself. In fact all the way along this process my teeth have done some strange things and I have wondered if we'll ever get there. At my last appointment two days ago I had two more brackets attached on my uppers to close up some gaps that have appeared at the top and it has extended my sentence by another month but to be honest I'd rather have the extra wait now and get the best result - I'm sure you feel the same, I mean what's the point in rushing to get them off only to be left with a shabby finish? I'm quite uncomfortable at the moment, three new ulcers and at the last tightening he warned me my bite would feel odd for a few days but to be honest I am so used to discomfort now, it's no big deal! Having said that, when they're off, it's going to feel amazing!

My dentist provides the Essix style retainers. I've come on tonight to read about other people's experiences with them as I'm sure I read somewhere that some people find them a bit uncomfortable. I should only be having to sleep in mine so as long as they don't rub into my gums or anything.... we'll see. Anyway, hope things progress well for you. Good luck with it all, take care! X

DaisySmith

#63 Post by DaisySmith »

Finally....

Just three hours ago....

I got debraced! Woohooo. No more picking salad out of my brackets. Back to tomorrow to collect my retainers and the whitener to go in them at night times (apparently) one tooth needs a little bit of a composite build up and I need some rough edges smoothing down but other than that I'm very happy. No more gappy sides and much better looking fronts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Carnations

#64 Post by Carnations »

Reading this has been really helpful to me. I just got the Six Month Smiles braces last week (well, I am told mine might be more like ten month smiles), and right now I feel as if I have a load of fishbones permanently stuck between my teeth. I'm really glad you got the results you wanted. Like you said in your first post, this type of braces seems to be frowned on, but maybe for some of us (no bite problems, just want our front teeth to look nicer) it's just the job!

DaisySmith

#65 Post by DaisySmith »

Tonight will be my first night in essix retainers... I've been given four syringes of 6% Pola whitening which I have to squeeze into each tooth shaped pocket of each retainer, albeit a tiny amount, enough to last for the next two weeks. It's 9.30 pm and I've already brushed, flossed and put my Pola-filled retainers in, in readiness for the whitening to begin.

My dentist said I might notice the edges of my teeth starting to whiten first but not to panic as the rest will soon he catch up. He also said I might experience increased sensitivity in which case take a break if needs be but he has given me some Sensodyne toothpaste which will help. I've got to return in three weeks when he'll give me upper and lower bonded retainers as requested, although he said with my bite he thinks they may well fail and if I want them replaced he'll charge me in future (£75). However may as well try them now as it's free first time around - belt and braces as it were, I want these teeth to stay in place! He is also going to build up the left lateral incisor which is a bit short. Looking forward to that.

So right now, the retainers feel snug but comfortable. They're not digging in to my gums anywhere and I actually like the tight feel of them against my teeth - it reminds me they are keeping my new smile in line. But they don't hurt they are just noticeable. I am producing a tiny bit more saliva that normal. The same way I did with braces at the beginning - actually no, with braces it was more like the bloody Niagra Falls, this is just a trickle.

I also have to take the retainers back with me when I see the dentist so he can check to see if I've been grinding- I used to and I'd like to know if I've given it up! When the whitening and final tooth build up has been done I will post a final before and after shot but I am so pleased I undertook this, sometimes, frankly hideous, oral..... Ooooh during my typing just then I got a deeply unpleasant lightening strike of sensitivity through my front tooth from the whitening process. Jeepers, not even an hour in and I'm moaning! Must stay positive. Invite joy from the universe! Happy smiling all! X

DaisySmith

#66 Post by DaisySmith »

After just one night of whitening my teeth have been tingly and sensitive all day, not sure how I'm going to manage two weeks......

DaisySmith

#67 Post by DaisySmith »

Just brushed, flossed and put my whitener-filled Essix retainers in and am laying in bed. So far so good - no electric shock style sensitivity just yet. One night down, thirteen to go, with the whitener that is - retainer-wise, I've got to get used to having these in at bed time for the rest of my life. As much as I knew that when I started out on this adventure, it's only now I am starting to realise what this means. Commitment! They don't hurt, they didn't stop me sleeping, but they are THERE....

Carnations

#68 Post by Carnations »

Yeah, but your teeth look FAB... and all you have to do is wear this thing every night and your teeth will continue to look FAB for the rest of your life!

DaisySmith

#69 Post by DaisySmith »

Carnations, that is very true, plus they are nowhere near as annoying as braces were in the beginning, it's just the 'getting used to something new' thing. Teeth quite sensitive again today but definitely whiter and some staining inside my lowers from drinking black tea and coffee over the years has all but gone - can't wait to see the final result.

DaisySmith

#70 Post by DaisySmith »

So.... I happened to look on the syringes of whitener... They're called PolaDay. You can also get PolaNight. PolaNight ingredients are different percentage strengths of Carbamide Peroxide while PolaDay are different strengths of Hydrogen Peroxide.

The official website advises you to wear the 6% PolaDay for no more than 45 minutes a day. As I was told by my dentist to wear it overnight, (which for me was 9 hours) no wonder my teeth hurt so much the next day! I'm going to ring them tomorrow and ask why they didn't give me the PolaNight syringes. Anyway, I had the night off last night, still wore my retainers but this morning I did a forty five minute whitening session and my teeth were fine - no sensitivity whatsoever. I'll stick to this routine for the next two weeks.

DaisySmith

#71 Post by DaisySmith »

Didn't get round to ringing the Dentist surgery today, work was busy and took priority and anyway it's not like I can't get advice off the official website for now. Retainer-wise, each night I am becoming more and more accustomed to them. I think I'd feel weird NOT wearing them. Having said that, it's always a joy to get them out as they've been filling up with your own spit all night and they don't exactly taste too fresh! However I brush them with toothpaste and cold water, give them a little shake and by the time I've brushed and flossed, they're dry and ready to go back in their little plastic case.

MardyBum

#72 Post by MardyBum »

DaisySmith - I'm fairly sure you're long gone from this thread and off enjoying your beautiful, straight, white teeth - but I just wanted to say what a fun read this was. I'm on day 6 now and already I feel like I've had them on forever. I can totally relate to everything you've said. I have already been given smaller elastics to wear 24/7 and OMG, do they feel tight :| I can't wait until I can look at your photos (I think I'm still too new!). Thanks for documenting your journey, I'm sure it has kept a fair few others going through the 'dark times'!

xx

avngal

#73 Post by avngal »

I am on day two with 6 month smiles. I enjoyed reading your posts!

Fairy

#74 Post by Fairy »

Thank you for sharing your story. Even though you write long, its still intersting and funny