Damon Braces Journey/Open Bite

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

MissRed

Damon Braces Journey/Open Bite

#1 Post by MissRed »

Hi everyone :)

I've been dotted around the forums since the back end of last year and finally I made the big decision to go ahead with braces.

To give you a little background, I've needed braces since I was 12 but through huge fear and lack of encouragement/money on my parents part I just never got them. I have an anterior open bite and also some missing teeth that had to be extracted a couple of years ago when I finally managed to get over my fear of the dentist only to find that it was far too late for some of my teeth.

My open bite I consider pretty severe but I am lucky in a sense that most people don't really notice it however as I have got older I have realised the effect it is having on my other teeth and it also really annoys me how I struggle to eat.

At my first consultation I found out I had a tongue thrust and so since September last year I've been working tirelessly to ensure that my tongue rests where it's supposed to and I think I have the hang of it now!

ANYWAY!

Today I went back to the ortho after having my pictures/xrays last week and he talked me through the plan. I'm getting Damon Clear on the top 10 teeth then metal everywhere else but I also found out that I am going to have some mini screws placed and a TPA :(. I must admit I'd only just managed to prepare myself for the fitting of the braces (still pretty scared/anxious about even being in a dentists/orthos office) but the mini screws and TPA have got me really worried now. If anybody has any advice or stories in this area I'd really appreciate it.

I've already found the stories on these forums a massive help and so I hope some of you will follow me on my journey and I look forward to chatting to you all :-* .

I'll get a picture up of my open bite at some point too and my braces are fitted on 27th Feburary all being well.

"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."

Damon Braces Journey/Open Bite - http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=46350

amelie82

Re: Damon Braces Journey/Open Bite

#2 Post by amelie82 »

Hey ya!
I think we might almost be brace twins, lol. I'm getting my on Feb. 12, and a TPA secured with a mini screw (and coil springs to intrude the molars and such). Because of your open bite are they going to intrude your molars at all? I don't have an open bite--mine are being intruded for tmjd correction (let's hope). Come to think of it, I should probably ask what the hell's going to happen to my front teeth as they intrude the molars?? :?
I'm preparing myself for one hell of a lisp with all this bulky TPA! :soremouth:

MissRed

#3 Post by MissRed »

amelie82 wrote:Hey ya!
I think we might almost be brace twins, lol. I'm getting my on Feb. 12, and a TPA secured with a mini screw (and coil springs to intrude the molars and such). Because of your open bite are they going to intrude your molars at all? I don't have an open bite--mine are being intruded for tmjd correction (let's hope). Come to think of it, I should probably ask what the hell's going to happen to my front teeth as they intrude the molars?? :?
I'm preparing myself for one hell of a lisp with all this bulky TPA! :soremouth:
Hi Amelie!

Yes I think they are trying to intrude a couple of my molars though the talk through with the ortho all went so fast that I forgot most of the things he said! Lol

I'm really not looking forward to this TPA :( I'm more concerned about the talking as you say with lisps and whatnot as I feel I can cope with the problems it will cause eating. Just want to sound normal! Makes it worse cause I had no idea I needed one until today.

What type of braces are you getting? :)

Damon Braces Journey/Open Bite - http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=46350

chichi

#4 Post by chichi »

Congrats from a fellow Damon wearer! I don't have any other appliances so I can't comment on your concerns, but I wish you the best :)
Had Damons (ceramic upper, metal lower) from June 27, 2013 - January 20, 2015
15-18 month sentence, official time in braces was 18 months, 3 weeks, 3 days
My Story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45054

amelie82

#5 Post by amelie82 »

[quote="MissRed"][quote="amelie82"]Hey ya!
I'm preparing myself for one hell of a lisp with all this bulky TPA! :soremouth:[/quote]

Hi Amelie!

Yes I think they are trying to intrude a couple of my molars though the talk through with the ortho all went so fast that I forgot most of the things he said! Lol

I'm really not looking forward to this TPA :( I'm more concerned about the talking as you say with lisps and whatnot as I feel I can cope with the problems it will cause eating. Just want to sound normal! Makes it worse cause I had no idea I needed one until today.

What type of braces are you getting? :)[/quote]

Haha, I don't really know :? Like you, everything went so fast and so much info that I'm not entirely sure if they ever said what kind?? Or that I even thought to ask :paperbag: . Although, I think it would be kinda hilarious if I go in with specific lig colors in mind (having spent the better part of a month thinking about it) only to find they're the self-lig'ing ones, lol!

Yeah, the lisping and messed up talking is...giving me pause, definitely. Half the time I'm on a soft diet or liquid diet (and always on a low fiber/residue diet for the crohn's) that the eating isn't going to really be traumatic for me (I hope). But I'm job hunting and my luck I'll have an interview for the week I get the damned thing on, haha.

I'm really bad about asking questions, too. Like if it were *for anyone else*, I'd be rattling off every inane thought that crossed my mind. But because it's for me, and I'm pathologically incapable of sticking up for myself, I just sit quietly and nod like a fool. Then berate myself for not knowing what the hell is going to happen. :-+ Oh, well. I guess I'll just have to force myself to actually ask questions this next time.

Anna5

#6 Post by Anna5 »

Hello Missred,

I just want to wish you very good luck with your treatment!
It seems we are in the same boat, because I also have an open bite from thumbsucking. I was recommended surgery, but refused.
I am already ooking forward to seeing a picture of your teeth and to hear about your progress!

Greetings from Anna

MissRed

#7 Post by MissRed »

chichi wrote:Congrats from a fellow Damon wearer! I don't have any other appliances so I can't comment on your concerns, but I wish you the best :)
Hi ChiChi :) thank you

MissRed

#8 Post by MissRed »

amelie82 wrote:
Haha, I don't really know :? Like you, everything went so fast and so much info that I'm not entirely sure if they ever said what kind?? Or that I even thought to ask :paperbag: . Although, I think it would be kinda hilarious if I go in with specific lig colors in mind (having spent the better part of a month thinking about it) only to find they're the self-lig'ing ones, lol!

Yeah, the lisping and messed up talking is...giving me pause, definitely. Half the time I'm on a soft diet or liquid diet (and always on a low fiber/residue diet for the crohn's) that the eating isn't going to really be traumatic for me (I hope). But I'm job hunting and my luck I'll have an interview for the week I get the damned thing on, haha.

I'm really bad about asking questions, too. Like if it were *for anyone else*, I'd be rattling off every inane thought that crossed my mind. But because it's for me, and I'm pathologically incapable of sticking up for myself, I just sit quietly and nod like a fool. Then berate myself for not knowing what the hell is going to happen. :-+ Oh, well. I guess I'll just have to force myself to actually ask questions this next time.
It's good that you are already used to a soft diet I suppose, I also think I'll be able to handle that part and the potential problems with eating what with my TPA but as you say, it's the speech, I also have interviews coming up for work placements in my sandwich year and I deal with customers in one of my current part time jobs too, I just hope I can adjust quickly!

I'm usually quite up front in asking questions and things as I like to know everything about everything lol but I think because I get so nervous/anxious at the ortho/dentist I just sit there and nod and say yes so I can get out of there sooner! Lol

MissRed

#9 Post by MissRed »

Anna5 wrote:Hello Missred,

I just want to wish you very good luck with your treatment!
It seems we are in the same boat, because I also have an open bite from thumbsucking. I was recommended surgery, but refused.
I am already ooking forward to seeing a picture of your teeth and to hear about your progress!

Greetings from Anna
Hi Anna, thank you :) I think I have seen a few of your posts around the forums! I shall upload a picture at some point, I do feel my open bite is pretty severe but just glad that have found an ortho that is confident he can sort it without surgery :).

Tlal23

#10 Post by Tlal23 »

Good luck with it all. My ortho printed out and sent me out a copy of exact what he'd said at the consultation which was great because I forgot too lol.

I have similar to damon but no other appliances.
Keep us informed as to your progress. I'm now 1 week and 1 day in ;-)

MissRed

#11 Post by MissRed »

Tlal23 wrote:Good luck with it all. My ortho printed out and sent me out a copy of exact what he'd said at the consultation which was great because I forgot too lol.

I have similar to damon but no other appliances.
Keep us informed as to your progress. I'm now 1 week and 1 day in ;-)
Hiya :)

I've just been looking at your thread and it always encourages me to see how nice the damon system looks on other people's teeth, makes me feel a lot better!

How has your first week in them been?

MissRed

#12 Post by MissRed »

Here's a photo to give you an idea of my open bite. Not great quality as having to use web cam atm

Anna5

#13 Post by Anna5 »

Good luck with your treatment, Missred!! I am so happy that your ortho can fix your bite without surgery. I have already read many success stories here on this board, so I am sure your results will be great too!

MissRed

#14 Post by MissRed »

Anna5 wrote:Good luck with your treatment, Missred!! I am so happy that your ortho can fix your bite without surgery. I have already read many success stories here on this board, so I am sure your results will be great too!
Hi Anna thank you :) he seems pretty confident I'm just hoping I can adjust to everything quickly then I can focus on the end result :)

MissRed

#15 Post by MissRed »

So, today I have had 3 separators/spacers put in. I'm always a bit nervous at the ortho/dentist but it really was fine, he only had trouble getting one in and that wasn't bad at all either.

My first question was "can I still eat most things?" Because my fella has booked us in for a valentines meal tomorrow haha, luckily I just need to steer clear of things like chewing gum and caramel etc.

It's been nearly 2 hours since they've been put in and currently there's no pain, I can only describe it as feeling like heat in my mouth if that makes any sense?

I'm preparing for some pain though but it would be nice for there to be none!

I shall keep you all posted :).