starting braces @ 33 yrs old - overbite, crowding, etc..!

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

SoCalUniveristyLed

Re: starting braces @ 33 yrs old - overbite, crowding, etc..

#16 Post by SoCalUniveristyLed »

Congrats and no way is anyone ever too old to take care of some of their most precious assets! I'm also in my 30s, and actually was afraid to get braces bc I already look so young and being part of the tin tin club would ruin my street cred at work lol. I just decided to go for it, and even went through surgery to obtain that perfect smile! It's a lot of work, but totally work it to preserve these choppers and display them in all their glory :)

For the first couple of visits, I'd recommend popping an Advil or two right before tightenings, and eat immediately after before the soreness sets in. If you feel sorry for yourself, think of people like me who underwent extra jaw surgery to achieve the same results...

Wear them proud!

lana23

#17 Post by lana23 »

Congrats starting your journey! can't wait to see the progress

MissRed

#18 Post by MissRed »

Hi crocodile

Congrats on getting braced! I think the device you have is the one I'm going to get a TPA? I was just wondering what your speech/eating was like with it as I'm more nervous about getting the device than the braces themselves

"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."

Damon Braces Journey/Open Bite - http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=46350

crocodile

#19 Post by crocodile »

MissRed wrote:Hi crocodile

Congrats on getting braced! I think the device you have is the one I'm going to get a TPA? I was just wondering what your speech/eating was like with it as I'm more nervous about getting the device than the braces themselves
Hi Red

The arch did take some getting used to as it was the first thing to go in. Eating was tough the first few days - food likes to get stuck between the arch and roof of my mout. Also the insides of my cheeks were getting beat up.

Talking was ok, but would sometimes get a little lisp at first. Now I barely notice the arch is there. Our mouths/tongues adapt!

MissRed

#20 Post by MissRed »

crocodile wrote:
MissRed wrote:Hi crocodile

Hi Red

The arch did take some getting used to as it was the first thing to go in. Eating was tough the first few days - food likes to get stuck between the arch and roof of my mout. Also the insides of my cheeks were getting beat up.

Talking was ok, but would sometimes get a little lisp at first. Now I barely notice the arch is there. Our mouths/tongues adapt!
Hi Crocodile,

That's good to hear! I'm more concerned about the effects on my speech because of my part time jobs and uni I can deal with problems eating I think for a while so this is positive news, look forward to following your journey :)

Damon Braces Journey/Open Bite - http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=46350

crocodile

#21 Post by crocodile »

Just over a month in braces...things are on the move. I tried to overlay the 0 and 1 month pics in this first attachment:
1month.jpg
Here are month 0 and month 1 pics of the lower arch.
20140127-DSC_3765.jpg
20140302-DSC_3818.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

crocodile

#22 Post by crocodile »

and, the same pics from the overlaid one above...but separate this time.
20140127-DSC_3758.jpg
20140302-DSC_3814.jpg
My teeth have gone yellow which looks pretty gross in the pics. The ligs are stained...I forgot and had some mustard one day. That was all it took!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MissRed

#23 Post by MissRed »

You can really see the movement, especially when looking at the wire! :)

crocodile

#24 Post by crocodile »

I am amazed how quickly things are moving, even others are noticing.

However now I have quite a bit gap opening up between my first and second teeth on the right side of my mouth (it's on the left in the pics above). You can see a gap from my 1 month pic, and now the gap is twice as big! It feels like these teeth are going in the opposite direction, but I'm sure it will work itself out shortly. I go in for my first adjustment in a couple weeks.

crocodile

#25 Post by crocodile »

Just over 2 months in, and I had my first wire change yesterday.

Uppers got a 0.016" round wire. Lowers got a 0.016"x0.022" rectangle section wire. Ortho said I would be in some pain, but so far so good - just have to be careful while chewing.

Ortho says I'll be getting some elastics next time I go in :( I'm not really looking forward to those.
front.JPG
lowers.JPG

Fionisimma

#26 Post by Fionisimma »

Ortho says I'll be getting some elastics next time I go in :( I'm not really looking forward to those.

No, me neither when that time eventually comes.... :shock:

Your progress pics are awesome - giddy up :jump:

TheKT

#27 Post by TheKT »

Great progress. I especially notice the bottoms.

crocodile

#28 Post by crocodile »

I've been in these braces for 3 months now. I think my progress has been pretty good so far; it's crazy how much the wires have straightened out! I'm hoping that huge gap closes up soon! It looks pretty bad when viewed from the side.

My next adjustment is in 3 weeks. I'm supposed to go to the 0.016" x 0.022" wire on the top plus get elastics.

Matilda

#29 Post by Matilda »

Wow! Beautiful progress! Congratulations!

blahhh123

#30 Post by blahhh123 »

I'm getting my braces in August but will require an appliance next month called a nance button on my upper mouth to stop my molars from moving. It is similar to yours i think but with a piece of plastic on the roof of the mouth. Do these affect eating and speaking a lot?