25 with braces for an impacted canine

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

NeilH

Re: 25 with braces for an impacted canine

#16 Post by NeilH »

Congratulations!

ugh

#17 Post by ugh »

Yayy I get braces in 78 days (im not counting :crazy: ) for two impacted canines and an overbite. I hope I have as much success as you!

cherise25

#18 Post by cherise25 »

Thank you NeilH! I am so glad to have my braces off. I am trying to get used to eating like a normal person again. It's very strange and I have to keep remembering I don't have any brackets to be paranoid about breaking! It's pretty cool to be able to eat what I want too.

Ugh, I wish you all the luck in the world with your braces. Not to make you paranoid, but I am glad I don't have any more teeth out of place. I would never want to do the braces thing again. I didn't mind the braces part exactly, but I am not a big fan of pain, and so braces were definitely not my thing. Keep posting on your progress. I hope it goes well for you!
Top Braces March 25, 2013
Exposure and Bonding surgery for impacted canine August 22, 2013
Bottom Braces March 17, 2014
Top and Bottom Braces Removed June 4, 2015

f0r33ha

#19 Post by f0r33ha »

Hello Cherise! I've enjoyed reading your posts as your story mirrors mine almost exactly-- Braces at 23, also with a retained baby canine and impacted maxillary canine. I also had a minor gap and several rotated teeth due to the space never filling in adequately with an adult tooth.
I got my braces back in March of this year, and a about two months ago had the surgery to bond the gold chain to the impacted tooth-- only have had it tightened twice so far.

My question to you is, what did your ortho use to pull down the tooth? Mine is using an elasticy/stretchy clear fishing line type thread that she is simply pulling tight and tying into a knot on my archwire, and this time around an adjacent tooth. I'm a little weary of this as it basically depends on how tight she is able to tie it? It doesn't seem as methodical as I would personally like-- just wanted to know if you experienced something similar!

cherise25

#20 Post by cherise25 »

Yes. That is exactly how my orthodontist did it too. I found it to be very painful every time except for once it didnt bother me much. Mine only took about seven months to move down before I got a bracket on it. I don't think I have a very high tolerance for pain though. I suppose I am glad I did it. I still havent got over smiling at myself in a mirror after nearly 5 months of no braces. But I am so glad to be done with them and would never want to have to deal with braces again! Does it bother you very much with the chain? Does it hurt a lot after adjustments?

f0r33ha

#21 Post by f0r33ha »

I am already a little obsessed with my smile in progress! I never thought that I would be able to afford braces, so I became very accepting and non-critical of my natural/given teeth as a pre-teen-- but I have to admit, the morning I woke up a month ago and realized that the gap between my front teeth was gone was very bittersweet. I never thought I would see the day! It was only a silly gap, but it no doubt defined my life, my perspective of the world and how others treated me on some level.

I go in for the 4th adjustment for the impacted tooth tomorrow. The first time my ortho pulled on it to tie, I definitely let a few swear words loose and got a smack on the wrist from her (kids in the office!)-- but thereafter, I feel the pressure when she pulls it tight, but not really pain. Just awareness? If that makes sense. But I also think I have a high tolerance for pain, haha.

When the surgeon first put the chain in, he just tied it with thread to my archwire-- and the orders were to wait a month before "activating" the site. Of course, the thread gave out a week or so into healing. I was just using my tongue for a day to wrap the chain around the archwire and snug it inbetween teeth before getting good needle and thread to resecure it-- during just that one day, I went to eat dinner... and somehow, the chain unraveled, and got hooked onto a bracket from my bottom braces in the most obscure way and GOT STUCK. I couldn't open my mouth, the chain from ontop stuck to the lower bracket was keeping it shut-- of course I tried to open it before realizing, and learned exactly how powerful the human jaw is. It started bleeding all over from the chain being pulled-- it was horrifying. We got it unstuck, but I still remember the feeling.

cherise25

#22 Post by cherise25 »

You sound a lot like me. I had spaces between my top front teeth, but my parents never had money for braces when I was a teen. So I never had them and didn't let the spaces bother me. But when my dentist said I really ought to have braces to fix my impacted canine, I didn't hesitate...well, not much. I was nervous as to whether it would still move when I was 25, but my orthodontist said he'd never had a case where it didn't, so I was hoping I wouldn't be his first.
And that thing about your chain sounds positively agonizing! I can't imagine how Unhappy I would have been if that had happened to me! It was two weeks before I had my first post-surgery adjustment when they started trying to pull my impacted tooth down, and I thought that was very painful. I can't imagine having something like your experience happen to me. Anyway, good luck! I hope all goes well for you.

Justinjspog

#23 Post by Justinjspog »

Thanks so much for posting all of this in so much detail! I had my canine exposure surgery 9 days ago and go in on Tuesday for the follow up and Thursday for tightening. I’m quite nervous. This exposure hasn’t gone very well for me. It was very deep and took almost 3 times the amount of time in surgery than the surgeon had expected. That was followed by a lot of pain. Most of the pain has now subsided, but it is uncomfortable/painful where the chain is coming out of my gum and the gum around my incisor (I think that’s the name of that tooth) is very receded. I’m worried she’ll have to cut the gum again to reposition it.

What does it feel like when they tighten the chain and when did you begin to become aware, sensation-wise, of the canine? Like I can feel my teeth and identify them, but I am not aware of my canine (I can’t mentally map it, if that makes sense.)