My journey (expander, then braces)

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Featheryy1221

Re: My journey (expander, then braces)

#91 Post by Featheryy1221 »

Thanks retainerjoe! :)

Well surgery went well. It wasn't really what I expected at all; it was super strange. I had the laughing gas put on and was super horrible at it. They told me "deep breaths through your nose, out your mouth." Well I kept breathing in and out my nose. Because I'm just used to doing that. Lol. So it took a bit of time to get it done properly. My surgeon was super kind and he said, "judging by your heart rate, you're nervous about this. it'll be fine just keep breathing in," then he started to tell me what they were going to do with the IV. And I told him, "don't tell me, I get nervous about this stuff." So he said, "okay thats fine, well I'll tell just you when we poke you and this thing around your arm is a rubber band." It didn't hurt much at all. Then he was like "okay we'll see you in a while." Which I hadn't gone straight to sleep, so I was thinking something was going wrong. Then I could hear them talking and sticking things in my mouth. And I thought, "oh god it's not working." But it was the end of my surgery.
My surgery was at 10:45 and I got done at 12:00. So a bit longer than he thought. He told my dad that there was literally no room at all for my teeth and it was good I finally got them out. My dad talked to the surgeon and other lady for a bit and he agreed with me that my surgeon was super awesome.

I didn't say anything or do anything funny when I got done with surgery. I didn't even laugh about nothing with the "laughing gas" like some people end up doing. Makes me think those viral after surgery videos are like when people have non-alcoholic drinks but don't realize and they act like they're super drunk. Lol.
Overall, I'm glad it's done, and was more nervous about it than I should have been. But hey, it was my first surgery and I got through it without any tears or breakdowns.

Now I just have to follow their directions to the t and keep up on my medicines. :) my friend got her wisdom teeth out last week so she told me what to expect and how she's doing so much better, so that's encouraging.
Anyway, that was my surgery adventure. Lol. Hope you all are doing amazing! And if you're in the US, hope you enjoy your thanksgiving and holiday break if you get one. :)

Estimated treatment time: 18 months. (6 months- expander, 1 year- braces)
Bonded Rapid Palatal Expander: 10/1/13 - 3/31/14
Upper and Lower Metal Braces: 4/22/14 - 7/14/15
Total treatment time: 21 months

NeilH

#92 Post by NeilH »

Glad it all went well and hope you heal quickly. Hope you can now progress with your treatment plan and move onto the next stage. Great smile by the way!

Featheryy1221

#93 Post by Featheryy1221 »

NeilH wrote:Glad it all went well and hope you heal quickly. Hope you can now progress with your treatment plan and move onto the next stage. Great smile by the way!
Thank you Neil! :) that's the great thing about this all being done and over with. Now I'll be able to get those back teeth banded up and now my bottom teeth will be able to move where they need to go. :) It'll be nice to get them in line where they should be. And it will be really, really nice when I'm all healed and feel 'normal' again.

Featheryy1221

#94 Post by Featheryy1221 »

Bad news: i'm pretty sure at least one of my wisdom tooth extraction sites is dry socketed. I'll be calling the oral surgeons office early tomorrow morning. Hopefully they can get me in. The pain is becoming worse as the night goes on and I don't think I should be in pain a week later. Earlier today I was feeling fine and almost felt 'normal' until one of my stitches came out this afternoon.

I'm really upset because I followed all their instructions in order to avoid this. And I've been eating soft foods this entire week in order to avoid screwing things up. Ugh.

Blah. I feel so bad. :(

Featheryy1221

#95 Post by Featheryy1221 »

It's a good thing I went in because I was right and it was dry socketed. :(

The good news is that it wasn't infected and it had very little debris in it (probably because I haven't chewed anything at all this whole week. Lol and salt water rinses help). The other oral surgeon (there are multiple at this office) had trouble even finding it, so it's really small.
I go back Monday to get the clove gauze thing changed.

Here's hoping I heal quickly and no other issues turn up. I'm paranoid the other side will be dry socketed as well( the stitches haven't fallen out yet so I won't know until they do).
Wish me luck.

Featheryy1221

#96 Post by Featheryy1221 »

Yesterday I finally scheduled my adjustment appointment in January! But guess what day was the only day they had open? My birthday! Haha. I guess I'll enjoy my birthday dinner the night before. Lol.

I'm really looking forward to getting an adjustment finally! :) Its been soooo long now.

Featheryy1221

#97 Post by Featheryy1221 »

So I had my adjustment a few days ago. And now I'm a 23 year old braceface. I'm really hoping this will be my final year with these things. lol

I was expecting my ortho to make a big deal about how it's been so long since I've been there, or question why it took so long to get my teeth out, but he didn't. In fact, the ortho assistant didn't even know why I didn't have my bottom 2nd molar bands on. *sigh*I really like my ortho and the people there because I feel like they know what they're doing. But I don't understand why they aren't looking in my file before getting started with me and why they aren't communicating well. That's my one complaint about them.

Anyway they put the molar bands on, which hurt immensely. I guess my gums back there are still tender from the extractions. I think she put on thicker wires because they look a lot thicker than my old ones.

And I guess last time they must not have actually activated the coil spring, but they did activate it now. I know because I can feel it. haha. Even that first night I could feel spaces between my lower canine and my pushed back incisor.

Oh the price we pay for pretty teeth...

Here's some photos I took after my adjustment and comparisons and such. I'm very happy with my top arch. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

twentyseven

#98 Post by twentyseven »

Wow you have some pearly whites here! :) Your arches are so beautifully round (what a strange compliment :D)
I really like reading your posts, lots of positivity.

Featheryy1221

#99 Post by Featheryy1221 »

twentyseven wrote:Wow you have some pearly whites here! :) Your arches are so beautifully round (what a strange compliment :D)
I really like reading your posts, lots of positivity.
Haha thanks so much! :D
I'm glad you like reading my posts, somedays I think I think I post too much/make too long of posts and I should just stop. Haha. But yes, I try to be positive. :) Sometimes I fail at that, but I try to look at the big picture.

mapleleafman888

#100 Post by mapleleafman888 »

Super progress Feathery! I think you're upper arch is amazing the way it's changed! Crazy!

I can identify with the ortho office not having a clue, sometimes it'd be nice to think they actually pay attention lol I've had this fight too but now I'm just trying to relax about the whole thing.

Anyways keep us posted, good luck with the treatment, things are looking awesome.

PS I'm a 26 y.o. braceface soon to be 27, you got nothing to worry about hahah
My story:http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45354
Upper and Lower Damon Braces for 18 months!
I met 46 braceface adults when I had braces myself!

Featheryy1221

#101 Post by Featheryy1221 »

Thanks Maple!

I know, I'm one of the young ones on here. :) haha. I'll try not to rush it too much. Otherwise I may miss it. :roll: :lol: At the moment I'm just hoping I'll get these off at least before the end of this year. :)
And I'm currently just laughing that I was estimated to be done in April. Ha. It's okay though. More months as a braceface won't kill me. :)

... Unless this gets to be like 5 years or something. Then I'll probably pry these things off myself. hahah.

I'll try to keep you all updated. One of my goals for this year though is to stop thinking so much about my braces. Not going to great so far. Lol.

Featheryy1221

#102 Post by Featheryy1221 »

Yesterday was my adjustment. I thought I wasn't going to be able to do an update, but apparently everything is working again on here for me. :)

Anyway, I ended up getting my coil spring activated again, as I still don't have enough room for that crazy bottom tooth in my lower arch. I also ended up with the thickest wire ever for my top. My orthos words, "I don't even know if this is going to fit in, it's really, really thick." Lovely. Lol. It fit though, with some tugging. And I have powerchains on ALL my top teeth.
This should be a fun 5 weeks. lol.
I'm wondering then if my upper teeth are close to being as straight as he wants them.

He did also mention, "she's not ready for hooks yet." So I guess that means I'll be getting elastics in my near future. :(

That's all folks!

igneous

#103 Post by igneous »

Your teeth have moved so beautifully, the ortho can be a struggle. I'm nervous to jump back in to the braces again as you already know.

Featheryy1221

#104 Post by Featheryy1221 »

Thanks igneous. That's very kind of you to say. :)

Update: I don't like waiting 5 weeks between appointments. haha. I'll be going in this Friday the 13th to get my next adjustment. I just wanted to share with you all a comparison pic.
Looks like things are finally shifting and gaps are closing. My bite on my left (on the pic it's right) is the best it's been since upper jaw expansion. Now my top teeth actually touch my bottom teeth.

I have a feeling they won't remove the coil spring just yet. I wish they would so that tooth would just get in line with all the others. It's getting there though. :)

Hope you're all doing well, brace friends.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

parsleysage

#105 Post by parsleysage »

Yay, feathery!! Sorry I was MIA for a few months. Glad to see that your wisdom teeth went okay aside from the dry socket! I think you're making awesome practice and I do see that the tooth is coming in closer in the bottom pic. Good luck this Friday!!!