I'm going to get braces this year!

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ukcruiser2

Re: I'm going to get braces this year!

#346 Post by ukcruiser2 »

Fantastic Neil,well done

NeilH

#347 Post by NeilH »

ukcruiser2 wrote:Fantastic Neil,well done
Thank you, I still can't believe I'm finished and still get surprised when looking in the mirror.

glitterbabe

#348 Post by glitterbabe »

[quote="NeilH"][quote="glitterbabe"]Hi I'm new to this so sorry if I've done this message completely wrong. I just wanted to ask if your fixed retainer affected your speech and eating and how do they actually take the brackets and glue of your teeth?[/quote]

Hi, welcome to the forum and thank you for raising such a good question. It's great when people comment on our posts and for those of us who have been through the process, we are more than happy to offer explanations where we can.

No, my fixed retainers do not affect my speech or eating at all. I thought it might but there is no discernible difference to speech at all. In terms of food, I'm still a little cautious and with anything glued in place, there is probably a need to be careful about sticky or chewy foods but my ortho hasn't stated anything is off limits. The fixed retainers consist of an incredibly thin twisted wire which is simply held in place with a small blob of glue behind each tooth. It feels a little odd, not rough, not smooth, just slightly different. Not uncomfortable just something new to experience.

The process for removing metal and ceramic brackets is slightly different. The metal brackets are actually quite soft so the ortho takes a pliar type tool and grips the bracket between the bracket part that the wire fits into and the metal part glued to the tooth. As pressure is applied, the bracket distorts very slightly and the glue is sheared. There is no feeling at all. No pulling, no twisting, no anything, just a quiet pop and the bracket is off. It took around ten seconds per arch and absolutely no discomfort at all. Ceramic brackets are very hard and do not distort when pressure is applied so either tend to shatter of there is a feeling of pressure as the ortho tries to get the glue to shear. I didn't have ceramic brackets so you may get a better explanation from those who did but this is how I understand it.

There will be some glue on your teeth after the brackets are removed and this needs to be removed. The ortho uses a hand piece with a burr that does not damage the enamel and simply grinds the glue off. This is not painful but can be uncomfortable as your teeth might be a little sensitive and any high speed tool grinding away on your tooth surface sends a vibration that can be a little disconcerting. I should also mention that it does smell a little of burning and I found this a little off-putting. The whole process only took a few minutes so was quite bearable but was definately the least comfortable part of the process. The therapist who undertook this was really kind and gentle and was reassuring throughout so I can't complain. After this, she polished the teeth in the same way your dentist would.

The whole braces removal process was really quick and I knew what to expect so nothing was a surprise. The staff at my practice are absolutely wonderful and we chatted throughout which was lovely although I'm sure this slowed them down and created a waiting room full of patients!

At what stage are you at? If you haven't started, just go for it. It's a decision you won't regret.[/quote]
Hi, thankyou for replying to my questions! I feel so much better now that I know the fixed retainer won't be painful or affect me much.

I should be getting my brace of in less than 2 weeks however unfortenly the bace has moved my bottom teeth so they are tilting forwards (slightly). This has made my bottom lip stick out a little. I hate the way it looks so my dentist has filed the sides of my teeth in the hope that they move. However if they don't move she will take a couple teeth out which will then delay the date that I get my brace tooken of (it will be worth it though!).
Also fortenly I have metal brackets so like you have said it won't hurt!

NeilH

#349 Post by NeilH »

Just a quick update, I posted a photo of my new smile to FB earlier and have received loads of likes and lovely comments, so happy!

I was up early (04:30) this morning for a flight and quickly looked in the mirror and couldn't see my lower bonded retainer. Fearing that I had dislodged it overnight decided to have a shower and properly wake up before further investigation. It was still there of course!!

For the first few days, my tongue was constantly fiddling with the wires but now a few more days in and I'm barely aware of it being there at all.

Lovelyteeth

#350 Post by Lovelyteeth »

Congratulations. What an amazing smile. I am a newby here. 1.5 weeks into my own braces journey with metal self ligating upper and lower. I have just finished reading your braces journey and really enjoyed your insight and positivity. After researching my options and nearly abandoning this whole business at the 11th hour I took the plunge. I'm hoping by the end I'll be as happy as you with a lovely smile.
As each day passes I'm getting closer and closer to my dream smile.

NeilH

#351 Post by NeilH »

Lovelyteeth wrote:Congratulations. What an amazing smile. I am a newby here. 1.5 weeks into my own braces journey with metal self ligating upper and lower. I have just finished reading your braces journey and really enjoyed your insight and positivity. After researching my options and nearly abandoning this whole business at the 11th hour I took the plunge. I'm hoping by the end I'll be as happy as you with a lovely smile.
Hi, thank you and it's very kind of you to comment. I really did find the whole experience fascinating and think I was very lucky with my practice which made the whole experience so much more enjoyable. I bet you are glad you decided to go ahead and will soon have a lovely smile to evidence the commitment required. Metal brackets are definately the way to go for lots of great reasons so smile broadly, work with your ortho and their team and soon you will be looking back on a job well done. Good luck.

NeilH

#352 Post by NeilH »

I've just realised this last week since having my braces removed will be the only time for a while when I will be appliance free (apart from the fixed retainers of course) for a while. I'm getting my retainers later today!

nicolie825

#353 Post by nicolie825 »

Congrats Neil! Your teeth look great!!

Question, is your permanent retainer bonded to each tooth?

NeilH

#354 Post by NeilH »

nicolie825 wrote:Congrats Neil! Your teeth look great!!

Hi, thank you. I'm really pleased with how it's turned out. Yes, the braided wire is individually bonded to each tooth with a small blob of glue. They are attached to the top and bottom six front teeth and are I barely give them a moments notice. There was no issue with speech at all and I can still insert an interdental brush under the wire so have no issues with cleaning.

NeilH

#355 Post by NeilH »

It's been a few days since my retainers appointment so thought I would update you on how the appointment went and what's been happening since then. The retainer appointment was really quick and I was seen by one of the lovely therapists. She fitted both retainers and made some minor adjustments to the Hawley retainers and after being given some information about retention and a couple of retainer cases and some retainer brite was on my way.

The Essix retainers are really snug and comfortable, I wouldn't describe them as tight, just well fitting. It has been difficult to speak with them in at times and I find I go from having little problem to sounding a little ridiculous at times. I guess just more practice is required but getting the courage to wear them full time has been difficult. I'm working on it and will report back once I have cracked it!

I'm going to need to go back to get the Hawley's checked as the top one is a little loose and the bottom one is very painful. To fully seat the retainer results in part of it pressing uncomfortably on the soft tissue between my teeth and tongue. Due to the pain, I'm unable to push it fully into position so it pops out within a few seconds and doesn't work as a retainer. I'm sure this can be fixed really easily so will make another appointment in the next week or so (there's no rush as the Essix are doing their job and the Hawleys are just for travelling).

Will post some photos and another update soon.

nicolie825

#356 Post by nicolie825 »

NeilH wrote:

Hi, thank you. I'm really pleased with how it's turned out. Yes, the braided wire is individually bonded to each tooth with a small blob of glue. They are attached to the top and bottom six front teeth and are I barely give them a moments notice. There was no issue with speech at all and I can still insert an interdental brush under the wire so have no issues with cleaning.
Interesting! I have a permanent lower retainer but it's only bonded to my canines. I don't think mine is a braided wire though, it's just a solid piece of metal wire. No problems with speech either, but can't keep my tongue from messing with it throughout the day lol

NeilH

#357 Post by NeilH »

nicolie825 wrote:
NeilH wrote:

Interesting! I have a permanent lower retainer but it's only bonded to my canines. I don't think mine is a braided wire though, it's just a solid piece of metal wire. No problems with speech either, but can't keep my tongue from messing with it throughout the day lol
I know what you mean, for the first few days my tongue just wouldn't leave the retainer alone and was doing its best to rip it out! Now it's safely hidden behind the Essix retainer the problem appears to have gone away.

I'm sure both fixed retainers do a similar job, there must be a reason why one is prescribed over the other and would be interested to find out.

I'm finding it more difficult to speak with the Essix today, I don't know why but can't even understand myself!

buffon85

#358 Post by buffon85 »

perfect results NeilH!! you must be very happy! when you have that good results you know it was worth it! :D :D i hope that you will always have reasons to show your perfect smile! :D

bottom premolars extractions: 9th of June 2015
top premolars extractions: 8th of October 2015

onwardsandupwards

#359 Post by onwardsandupwards »

Neil your teeth look fantastic! You can tell your orthodontist is a perfectionist :heart: You must be over the moon. I bet the removable retainers take some getting used to, I can imagine it's tough wearing them all the time when it impacts your speech so much, but you'll get used to it quickly I am sure :wink:

kppixie

#360 Post by kppixie »

OMG NeilH I can't believe I missed your big reveal! Congratulations to you! I am still horribly struggling with 6MS but should be off by before the summer! I think I will insist! Your teeth look fabulous! I am going to have a look at what I have missed so far! Thanks for all you support, I guess you will now retire (at last) from this group! Karen