Maeby Getting Braces

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

maeby

Maeby Getting Braces

#1 Post by maeby »

Hi all!

I'm maeby, an Arkansan in my mid-twenties who is getting braces, well, soon. Exact B-Day TBD.

After four visits to different orthodontists over the course of 13 years, I've finally found the right one at the right time. (My ortho-finding journey will be detailed in my next post.) This is the state of my teeth at present:
  • overbite/crossbite
    Four wisdom teeth extracted five years ago
    Two impacted canines in my upper arch
    One gap where a canine should be
    One lower canine that has grown in front of the others (What is the term for this?)
    Broken #18 molar with a temporary filling, broken below the gumline (dun-dun-dun!)
I get my records taken tomorrow morning and I'm hoping I get a detailed treatment plan and banding date then. If so, expect another post about how that turns out.

Open smile:

Gap:

Upper arch:

Lower arch:
Read My Braces Story: "Maeby Getting Braces"

Top Arch Braced: April 18, 2012
Bottom Arch: October 9, 2012

maeby

Re: Maeby Getting Braces

#2 Post by maeby »

My Ortho Experience

I have had four orthodontic consultations, but no treatment (yet!). I thought it may help someone to write a brief post about them.

Age 12: I remember very little, but the end result was that treatment was needed, but not financially feasible.

Age 19: This time was with a different orthodontist, who was very likeable and knowledgeable. She mentioned possible extraction of the impacted canines or exposure surgery and chains. I recall a very serious and concerned expression as she explained the surgery, but I had no perspective on it at the time. She did mention that I would possibly develop headaches if they were left in place. (Has anyone else heard this?) Ultimately, I found out I’d be moving within a year, so I opted not to proceed with treatment.

Age 25: Had a consultation with a very grumpy, dour ortho who acted and spoke like treatment with him was a certainty. He offered no options and didn’t take any time to explain why four extractions were necessary (impacted canines and lower 1st bicuspids). To my knowledge, no previous ortho had recommended that my bicuspids be removed, so it came as a surprise. No one wants to have perfectly healthy teeth pulled! I’m sure he is very capable, and that the end result would have been fine, but there was no chemistry in the relationship. Estimate: $6,900

Age 25: Second consult in a month. This time, I didn’t have x-rays and/or impressions taken right off the bat. I decided to go in and “interview” the doctor and his staff first. It’s a much more open and airy office and the doctor was a bit of a smart aleck, but in a good way. (Better than no personality at all, right?) I also felt like I could ask questions. Since he didn’t have x-rays to work with, I was only able to get a basic treatment plan and a cost estimate. I go in today to get records taken (excited!) and I will hopefully have a chance to talk more about my impacted canines and how we’ll proceed around that broken tooth. Estimate: $6,100 with possible 15% discount for up-front payment and scheduling appointments during non-peak hours (=$5,185).

Current thoughts: I’m really hoping to keep my impacted canines (just not where they are!), but I know it would be an uphill battle. My ortho offhandedly called them “our prettiest teeth” which probably isn’t everyone’s opinion, but I’m glad he and I agree on that point. The canines are a trademark part of the smiles of my mom and all of her siblings, so I feel a bit cheated that mine didn’t even grow in!

maeby

#3 Post by maeby »

I went to my records appointment this morning to have X-rays, photos, and molds/impressions taken. The appointment lasted about 30 minutes and, while the assistants and I made some nice chit chat, I didn't get any answers on what the next steps will be. The ortho prodded my gums a bit to make sure they're healthy (got a great report!) and poked at my broken tooth as well. He seemed surprised at how sturdy it is, which made me laugh for some reason.

My next appointment is for yet another consultation, where I'll get the details on what the official treatment plan will look like. This is very different from the first orthodontist I spoke to, who was talking about extractions within the first five minutes of meeting him. I really appreciate the fact that my current ortho is taking his time to create a treatment plan, even if I'm really eager to get started. So far, all I know is that he expects it to take 24 months; extractions haven't even come up yet.

Oh, and the impression/molding goop was mint flavored, by the way. :wink:

JMSmith

#4 Post by JMSmith »

Good luck!

maeby

#5 Post by maeby »

Thanks, JMSmith! People are so wonderfully encouraging here. :)

Just a quick note: The other day I finally spoke to my boss about the possibility of me getting braces. I was a little worried that he would disapprove (even if only a little bit), since ortho and dentist appointments would have me disappearing from work at odd hours. As it turns out, his wife and child are both about to get braces, so he completely understands. Has anyone else had any positive or negative comments from their employer about their braces?

VioletJay

#6 Post by VioletJay »

Thankfully I am self employed so the time off work won't be an issue as I get to decide my own hours - which can be very strange indeed... But I am having teeth extracted on Wednesday (eep!) and braces fitted on March 8th, 8 days later! So we'll be on the same braces timeline! My canines are out but I have a really crowded upper arch and a pretty crowded lower arch. Upper braces are going to be clear ceramic (no idea what kind yet) and will be going on before the lower ones, which I think will be metal.

Anyhow, so hi braces buddy! Good luck with your consultation! :)
Proud mama, graphic designer, writer and editor, working toward increased self sufficiency with my man, my little girl and my wits about me! Adios, jumbly teeth; hello happy smile! :)

maeby

#7 Post by maeby »

Indeed, it looks like we may be braces buddies! :D I'm a bit jealous that you have actual dates to look forward to and/or dread. Not having a brace date makes it feel like it will never happen, but I'm sure looking back on it, it will felt like time flew by.

Sort of off topic: it seems like we may have somewhat similar lines of work. I handle marketing and publication design at my job. :)

maeby

#8 Post by maeby »

Four bits of news from today's consultation:

1. I don't have to have any teeth extracted! The more this realization sinks in, the more I want to jump up and do a happy dance. :D I went in fully expecting to hear that I need four teeth removed. Past orthodontists I've consulted have told me as few as two, but never zero! My current ortho said that my upper front teeth tilt inward slightly, meaning they will leave room for my canines to come in once they are positioned correctly. Which leads me to point number 2...

2. While I won't need extractions, I will need oral surgery. Specifically, I'll need exposure surgery on my impacted canine. I've heard a number of stories about this, good and bad, so I'm a bit nervous. But my ortho said that if I were his sister, he'd still say "go for it." That was very comforting.

3. I'll get my top arch braced first. The reason? It will take my top arch a lot longer to make room for two new teeth than it will take the crowding in my bottom arch to straighten out. If he braced both at the same time, the bottom would end up waiting a long time for the top to catch up. Ultimately, it'll be several months before the bottom will be braced and the exact timing depends on the cooperation of the top.

4. I have to get my broken tooth repaired before any of this can happen. I have a cleaning and x-rays scheduled for the end of the month and the repairs won't happen until some point after that. I may see if I can go ahead and schedule the repair appointment.

All in all, a pretty informative day. Now I'm working toward getting a brace day set in stone... the suspense is killing me! :shock:

Ellebraced

#9 Post by Ellebraced »

Welcome Maeby to starting your new smile journey,

I think the worst part of this whole thing is the anxiety and the waiting and the not knowing. When I finally decided to do this I just wanted it to start and be over with. Even 445 days in the anxiety to the next appointment gets me. UGHHHH LOL, I need to learn patience. Congrats and keep us posted, So happy you don't need extractions.

Elle

34 years old, 2nd timer, Original sentence 2.5 years - Updated to about 20 months
Braced December 16th , 2010
Debrace Date August 22, 2012

My story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=37941

maeby

#10 Post by maeby »

Thanks, Elle!

I've booked three dental-related appointments today: one to get my tooth repaired, one to get spacers (ouch!), and one to get the top arch braced (ouchyay!). I could have started braces the day before directing our annual photo shoot, but logic kept me from jumping into that, despite my excitement. I am getting spacers that day, though. Hopefully that won't be too much of a mistake. You guys can be honest, is it?

Brace Day: April 16! Let the countdown begin. :-D

Ellebraced

#11 Post by Ellebraced »

Spacers for me were a big pain in the butt. They hurt more as the week went on. I could barely eat but I don't think I took any painkillers. I think that was the worst part of braces for me for sure BUT... You have to start the process and there is always going to be a reason to delay so Don't worry about it. I had braces days before a huge Christmas party I was looking forward to and don't regret it at all, the sooner they are on the sooner they are off.

34 years old, 2nd timer, Original sentence 2.5 years - Updated to about 20 months
Braced December 16th , 2010
Debrace Date August 22, 2012

My story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=37941

BetsyBug

#12 Post by BetsyBug »

I think if you have any doubt that the braces will interfere with your work that day then its wise to delay a little. Yay for april...it really isn't that far away!
Elizabeth
Getting top and bottom traditional metal braces and bite turbos
correcting crowding, overbite, and TMJ on 3/6/2012
Turbos Removed 8/14/2012

Click for my story

maeby

#13 Post by maeby »

I finally made it to April... my Braces Month! I got a taste of what the soreness of braces will be like when I had my broken #18 molar fixed last week. The tooth is right over a cluster of nerves, so the dentist had to give a lot of shots to account for that and for how deep she had to drill. *shudder* It took about three days before I could chew properly or open my mouth enough to eat a sandwich. It was a learning experience!

Now multiply that feeling a few times and maybe I can imagine how braces will feel in a couple of weeks. :)

BetsyBug

#14 Post by BetsyBug »

I have had my wisdom teeth pulled and I can tell you that the pain of braces is way less than that....so you may be fearing a greater pain then you will actually experience.
I was never to the point where an ibuprofen wasn't enough for me to be comfortable.

do you know when your actual brace day will be??
Elizabeth
Getting top and bottom traditional metal braces and bite turbos
correcting crowding, overbite, and TMJ on 3/6/2012
Turbos Removed 8/14/2012

Click for my story

udubdave

#15 Post by udubdave »

I've had braces for five days already. The first day was fine. The second and third days were the worst, that's when my teeth were really sore and sensitive, like they were gonna fall out. Also the insides of my lips were all shredded. The fourth and fifth day, it got better. My teeth aren't as sore and the lips not as bad. I still talk with a slight lisp, I hope it goes away soon!